Oats

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Tims

Re: Oats

Post by Tims »

Lol
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😁
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Ha ha! :D :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Hahahahaha!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I enjoy oats pretty regularly. Sometimes I even make savory oats. Mix in some butter, salt, black pepper, cheddar cheese, and 3 over easy eggs. I usually buy the plain quick oats. Then I can flavor it how I want. When I used to hit the gym I'd throw in a scoop of whey protein with the plain oats.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Doc, what advice do you have if a person wants to eat and enjoy oatmeal and oatmeal cookies but wants to do what you did: cut all or most sugar out of the diet, for health purposes? Do you replace the sweetness cravings with fruit or do you use honey or is honey no different as far as it goes for that?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:22 am
I used to hit the gym
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Doc, what advice do you have if a person wants to eat and enjoy oatmeal and oatmeal cookies but wants to do what you did: cut all or most sugar out of the diet, for health purposes? Do you replace the sweetness cravings with fruit or do you use honey or is honey no different as far as it goes for that?
I am still looking for a solution to the cookies. However, someone suggested dates or dried plums to hold them together and make them sweet. A little bit of honey couldn't hurt.

I am glad you brought this up. I need to get back to experimenting.

Here's the general concept: https://www.carolinescooking.com/sugar- ... l-cookies/

Here is someone making date paste to substitute for sugar in various things: https://detoxinista.com/make-date-paste ... ubstitute/
Last edited by Doc Dan on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Last night, I took 2 large complete filleted chicken breasts, added 1/2 tsp of sesame oil, 1 TSP of Kinkoman's soy sauce, and coarse black pepper and a little salt. I popped them into the air fryer (no oil) and then kept them till this morning.

This morning, I put enough oats into a bowl for my breakfast, added a chopped up baby carrot, green onion, and a little fresh ginger, followed by salt and black pepper (out of chicken broth...gotta go shopping). I cooked for 2 min. in the microwave, then added as much chicken (chopped up) as I wanted, and ate it.

It was so good, my tongue was doing a dance around my eyebrows. I kept thinking, "I made this?" This was awesome chicken oat porridge. I got the recipe (sort of) from Quaker Oats online. It is so good, I am doing it again till I run out of chicken.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Today I made a porridge, one part oat with tree part of water, bit of salt, boiled it for 15 ish minutes and served with some butter, nuts and bit of maple syrup..... that was sooo good.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:10 pm
VashHash wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:22 am
I used to hit the gym
Nah I'm a little more round hahaha
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:21 am
Today I made a porridge, one part oat with tree part of water, bit of salt, boiled it for 15 ish minutes and served with some butter, nuts and bit of maple syrup..... that was sooo good.
Sounds lovely. All it needed now was a splash of Scotch ...
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😁
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I made my wife some of my porridge. She does not normally eat a great deal. She ate the entire bowl full. Here is the basic recipe I used (I jazzed mine up a tad): http://www.quaker.com.my/recipe-savory- ... ridge.html

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Instant oatmeal and quick oats are partially precooked, usually by steaming, so that they cook faster. They are supposedly nutritionally the same as slow cooked oats. Just wanted to clear that up. :) I like the way the slow cooked ones taste though.

Persoanlly, I love oatmeal and we go through a lot of instant oatmeal in this house. My four year old eats it M-F in the morning. I like apple cinnamon but also make my own with maple syrup and raisins. Yum!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

That is very neat Darby. I too love oatmeal and thank you for explaining how instant oatmeal is pre-steamed. Is there any known way to make instant oatmeal that has not been pre steamed?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:32 pm
That is very neat Darby. I too love oatmeal and thank you for explaining how instant oatmeal is pre-steamed. Is there any known way to make instant oatmeal that has not been pre steamed?
SEF, they steam and press the oatmeal to make it last for a very long time. Otherwise, oats will mildew and rot within a short time. The only difference between whole rolled oats, quick oats, and instant oats is only how small they chop the oats before packaging it. The larger the oat, the longer it takes to cook.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Hello Doc Dan,

Sounds like you're dialed in with the oatmeal.
I'm a regular consumer, usu with dried bueberries, cranberries, walnuts/almonds, maple sugar, cinnamon--varies.
Always included with overnight hikes and backpacking/mountain jaunts.

Here's a mountain oatmeal/ cross-thread link for SEF's mountaineering query (also a long-term Spyderco neighbor). The subject is John Gill, a mathematics professor in Colorado, one of the pioneers of what became present day bouldering. The pic is from one of the essays in Jon Krakauer's "Eiger Dreams," 1990 (p. 19) which I highly recommend:

In the quoted section, Chouinard of course is more widely known as the founding general partner of Patagonia, but crusty old time climbers revere him for his hand-forged mountain tools from bygone times.

good luck,
nick
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:47 pm
Hello Doc Dan,

Sounds like you're dialed in with the oatmeal.
I'm a regular consumer, usu with dried bueberries, cranberries, walnuts/almonds, maple sugar, cinnamon--varies.
Always included with overnight hikes and backpacking/mountain jaunts.

Here's a mountain oatmeal/ cross-thread link for SEF's mountaineering query (also a long-term Spyderco neighbor). The subject is John Gill, a mathematics professor in Colorado, one of the pioneers of what became present day bouldering. The pic is from one of the essays in Jon Krakauer's "Eiger Dreams," 1990 (p. 19) which I highly recommend:

In the quoted section, Chouinard of course is more widely known as the founding general partner of Patagonia, but crusty old time climbers revere him for his hand-forged mountain tools from bygone times.

good luck,
nick
Thanks! That was interesting. Oats can keep you alive and healthy.

I could live well on oats, chia seeds, and spirulina, if I had to. I hope I never have to. I'd miss my pork chops.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050