Manual Folders, not classic, but, not one-hand-opening: Your favorites?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Manual Folders, not classic, but, not one-hand-opening: Your favorites?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

When it comes to manually-opened folders that do not use one-hand-opening mechanisms, like the Spyderco Opening Hole, thumb studs, Emerson Wave, or anything else, but, use either a nail nick or no indentation at all, just a piece of smooth steel that requires two hand-opening, what are some of your favorite brands and types of these knives?

Also, what are some of the ups and downs to a blade with a nail-nick in it?

Are some nail nicks better than others ?
setldown

Re: Manual Folders, not classic, but, not one-hand-opening: Your favorites?

Post by setldown »

In a manual folder with a nail-nick, I prefer a blade with room to use a pinch grip to deploy the blade. I recently purchase a Lion Steel Shuffler from CollectorKnives that ticked all my boxes. On knives with a strong detent nail-nicks cause havoc with my thumbnails.

This is the model I picked up. Carbon fiber scales, titanium bolsters, nail-nick on both sides of M390 blade.....good value. It's the modern interpretation of the Classic GEC, Case ect. For the price I'm not afraid to use the h*ll out of it.
https://www.collectorknives.net/shop/li ... el-ck0112/
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Victorinox Swiss Army knives.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
setldown

Post by setldown »

Another feature I look for on manual knives is the "walk & talk". I like that the blade just doesn't slam shut on your fingers in case you inadvertently reverse direction on your cut or while returning the blade into the knife.

I've got a couple of Opinels that are honestly the best bang for the buck. Thin blade super slicers. Although not walk & talk they do have the turning lock ring. I work some chapstick into the pivot area and it helps keep the blade from sticking shut during humid weather.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My favorite is the Victorinox Pioneer X with scissors.

I also like the now discontinued (hopefully not for long) Buck 302 Solitaire and Buck 303. The Buck 302 has the same long blade as the 301 Stockman but only a single blade. It is so slim/skinny that it disappears in the pocket.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

My favorites are 3 SAKs:
Executive
Spartan
Pioneer

I EDC the Executive along with either the Spartan or the Pioneer (in addition to whatever OHO folder I carry).

Jim
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:35 pm
gets my vote!
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've no problems with a nail nick, though I do prefer the looks--not function--of a long pull. If I can get it, though, I do prefer blades that can just be pinched open.

As mentioned, the walk and talk is a big deal.
I like a medium pull weight. 6 or 7 out of 10.

Love swiss army knives. The Electrician, Spartan, and Compact are my favorites.
Also, I'm really into J.E. Made slipjoints. They're modern materials and handmade by a small group. I've only one: a desert ironwood and s35vn Lanny's Clip. It is very nice. The Lionsteel-made Collector Knives slipjoints are good. I've a roundhead from the original run, but this new run of shufflers look amazing. Other good ones: Boker Slack and the Enzo PK70. Also, SEF, since I know you like high value, check out the Maserin Plow on Collector Knives. It is an exclusive for him. It is only like $30 or $40 but an Italian-made Sodbuster in micarta and d2 steel. Really good value.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Me too!
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:35 pm
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

One of my all time favorites was the Schrade USA Old Timer 7OT preferably in 1095 , but the Schrade + ( 440A maybe?) was pretty good. Brass and wood classic built so well many are still being used to this day. Note: new ones are made in PRC and use 7Cr steel. Not bad for about $24 if you like this type knife. This and next two knives are all heavy with no clip and are best carried in a belt case. They are almost primitive compared to modern Spyderco's but they still cut well.

Buck 110. Brass and wood classic. Originally in 440C but also later made in 425M, 420HC, 154cm, CPM 154, S30V, BG42, D2, 5160 and probably a few others. A true classic and the newest ones are the best IMO.

Camillus USA #4 Also brass and wood and about the same size as the two above.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:31 pm
One of my all time favorites was the Schrade USA Old Timer 7OT preferably in 1095 , but the Schrade + ( 440A maybe?) was pretty good. Brass and wood classic built so well many are still being used to this day. Note: new ones are made in PRC and use 7Cr steel. Not bad for about $24 if you like this type knife. This and next two knives are all heavy with no clip and are best carried in a belt case. They are almost primitive compared to modern Spyderco's but they still cut well.

Buck 110. Brass and wood classic. Originally in 440C but also later made in 425M, 420HC, 154cm, CPM 154, S30V, BG42, D2, 5160 and probably a few others. A true classic and the newest ones are the best IMO.

Camillus USA #4 Also brass and wood and about the same size as the two above.
I really like those old timers. Something about that brown sawcut self in really gets me, even though it isn't high end by any means. I'm considering stocking up on the 8OT stockman. You can somehow still get NOS American made ones from the 80s and 90s for the same price as the new Chinese ones.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I also carry a Victorinox Alox Cadet from time to time and really like that slim little knife.

Here are some pictures of the knives (not my pics)

Buck 302 Solitaire

Victorinox Pioneer X

Victorinox Alox Cadet
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I really like those old timers. Something about that brown sawcut self in really gets me, even though it isn't high end by any means. I'm considering stocking up on the 8OT stockman. You can somehow still get NOS American made ones from the 80s and 90s for the same price as the new Chinese ones.
I used to use Schrade's 1095 as a sort of reference standard for knives. Does it sharpen as easily as my Schrade, Take as good an edge? That type thing. This was long before Spyderco was there to cater to us knife knuts and steel junkies. There was a lot of stainless steel of questionable quality back then. I remember inexpensive Japan imports that had obvious inclusions and voids in the steel. Part of that was how broke I was and the type knife I was shopping for because even then they also made higher quality stuff. I try to remember that when I see inexpensive knives made in China now. They are making exactly what they were contracted to make for sellers here. :)

I still shop around for new old stock Schrade and Camillus USA . There are some really good deals but there are also people who try to sell "antiques" also. I love finding the never used still in the box knives. I even have a store display of Imperial Schrade knives from 1981 along with knives stored in back just like you would see in a hardware store back then. I might have an 8OT somewhere, maybe not. They are one of the most popular of the series because they are so versatile. Yes, that brown delrin is a draw for me too. :)

Joe
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

There's so many. I have a collection of Vics that all started with the Huntsman my Dad got me when I was a boy. I have a few Case, Camillus, and Old Timer folders, and some Opinels. I love Opinel!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032