Eye Glasses

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Cao87

Eye Glasses

Post by Cao87 »

I just a new pair of glasses and I got what’s called trivex lenses I was wondering if any body
Has a pair of them and how you like them, and how long it took to get used to them.
Bloke

Re: Eye Glasses

Post by Bloke »

Cao87 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:43 pm
I just a new pair of glasses
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Sorry, I don't know anything abt them.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I do not know anything about them except they are thinner and lighter than regular plastic lenses. I still have trouble adjusting to wearing glasses when I walk. I can drive well, and prefer to wear them, even when my eyes are not bothering me. But walking is another thing altogether.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:33 am
I can drive well
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Trivex are one of the several brand names for thinner-lighter lens materials.....They make no difference to the view from the user side but they do reduce the dent in the bridge of your nose

For those of us who (in previous times) would need the bottoms cut off Coke bottles to see, this is a boon.......
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What are the cheapest/most inexpensive eye glasses and frames you recommend, without getting a real piece of junk pair?

Or is it like knives, the more expensive are always or generally better?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:00 pm
What are the cheapest/most inexpensive eye glasses and frames you recommend
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:00 pm

Or is it like knives, the more expensive are always or generally better?
To some degree, it is. My “best” glasses ever (in like 40 years since switching from glass lenses, which were heavy but optically superior) were Zeiss. They are expensive and kinda hard to find, but I think I located an optician 20 miles away who can get them. The place I bought them quit carrying them about 10 years ago and I’ve been “threatening” to drive past the 257 opticians between here and there ever since. Next time!

Were they better because of the lenses? Or because they “nailed? The prescription? Maybe my eyes were just better during that period? Who can say? But I haven’t been able to see as well since.

Just a single data point for you

Ken
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Here in the UK, eye examinations have to meet the NHS requirements- and the price is never more than £25 (Lots of folks get them entirely free)

The same goes for glasses- they have to meet NHS requirements for quality and safety.... So even the cheapest pair of glasses will be more than good enough. Again, lots of folks get them entirely free

As such, I use an online firm called Glasses Direct. Every pair I've had from them has lasted to my next eye test.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

SpyderEdgeForever

demoncase wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:59 pm
Here in the UK, eye examinations have to meet the NHS requirements- and the price is never more than £25 (Lots of folks get them entirely free)

The same goes for glasses- they have to meet NHS requirements for quality and safety.... So even the cheapest pair of glasses will be more than good enough. Again, lots of folks get them entirely free

As such, I use an online firm called Glasses Direct. Every pair I've had from them has lasted to my next eye test.
Thank you. What brand or type do you recommend if you want something more durable, for outdoors' use, that will resist breakage and chipping if dropped, and, which could repel or resist grains and particles of sand, dirt, and rock if they hit it, when hiking and camping?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:31 pm
demoncase wrote:

Thank you. What brand or type do you recommend if you want something more durable, for outdoors' use, that will resist breakage and chipping if dropped, and, which could repel or resist grains and particles of sand, dirt, and rock if they hit it, when hiking and camping?
Go for standard polycarbonate lenses with NO coatings apart from the anti scratch.

Forget brands or slick metal frames: go with the thickest hipster style retro frames possible.

SpyderEdgeForever

demoncase wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:39 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:31 pm
demoncase wrote:

Go for standard polycarbonate lenses with NO coatings apart from the anti scratch.

Forget brands or slick metal frames: go with the thickest hipster style retro frames possible.
Thank you very much.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wear Oakley Servo's when I wear them, I usually wear contacts. I don't care so much for the brand but they're sturdy and they fit my big head. Most frames are too narrow but these fit melon heads like mine.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David