Superheroes

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Crux

Re: Superheroes

Post by Crux »

The Phantom, released in 1996, was well worth the watch. In some ways the SH movies get worse than the originals.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Crux

Post by Crux »

Okay, this has actually been painful and I am considering abandoning this foolish quest to watch all of the superhero movies. I have so far managed to watch and in many cases rewatch movies to provide my biased rating on the movie. Basically 63% or 56 of the 88 current and past superhero movies, with caveats for The Punisher and Blade.
Attachments
superheros.JPG
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Mad Mac wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:32 am
Movies that defy the laws of physics do not appeal to me, though the CGI is undeniably awesome. Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy are very funny, which is their saving grace. But maybe some of you who are fans can help me.

During WWII, superheroes helped us defeat the axis powers. After 9/11, superheroes turned on each other, Captain America was killed and muslim superheroes were added. Am I the only one who sees a problem here?
I do. Look at the current situation in America.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the superheroes that are made that way through technology. That way anyone can dream of being a superhero. Green Lantern is my favorite of those but that crappy movie needs to be remade. Iron Man, Batman, Capt America (the real one) and others they’re also made superheroes through their technology are the ones I prefer.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

I have a super power.

I am invisible... to women.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:04 am
I have a super power.

A blessing. All you need is the right one.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

When I read the comic books as a kid, I think my favorites were The Incredible Hulk and the early Luke Cage: Hero For Hire (later retitled Power Man). This was well before Luke Cage's comic went downhill and Marvel decided to pair him with Iron Fist, who I didn't like.

As far as killing off superheroes, the way the Marvel Universe seems to work nowadays is alternate realities, so they're not really dead, or there is an alternate version of them still alive or something. They've completely changed since the '70s. Several years back, I even saw a Thor graphic novel in a bookstore where they had turned Thor female. Which IMO was ridiculous. I'm all for female superheroes, but Thor isn't one of them.

Jim
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

There's been a bunch of female Thor's over the years. I'll take them over Beta Ray Bill.

I was impressed with the job they did on Captain Marvel.

https://youtu.be/966-nMr0HlY
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:04 am
I have a super power.

Hey Mac, I have a couple of mates that say the same.

They’re silly buggers that compliment women and the women think they’re hard up creeps.

Try this, next time you’re in a bar and see a woman you fancy don’t look at her, at least don’t let her see you looking. When you’re ready for a chat just walk past on your way to the men’s, laugh and say something like “Hey darling, you wearing that dress (or shoes, jeans ...) on a dare? Keep walking, don’t wait for a reply and don’t look back, doesn’t matter what she says.

You can bet she’ll be waiting (probably pissed) for an explanation on your way back. Just laugh, tell her you were joking and her dress isn’t that bad after all but it doesn’t match her shoes and laugh some more. She’ll think you’re a strange, funny bastard and be happy to chat with you. Ask her what she’s drinking and go to the bar. Just don’t stuff it up by telling her you’re an accountant and into knives, bottle openers or any nonsense like that and don’t compliment her. Poke fun at her in a friendly way and if she starts laughing at your antics she’s yours. ;)

Hope this helps and good luck! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:31 am
...Just don’t stuff it up by telling her you’re
an accountant and into knives, bottle openers or any nonsense like that...
So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Crux

Post by Crux »

It's best to keep that "into knives" thing under wraps until it's serious and then bring it up slowly. Don't just break out a box of knives and machetes as that might not go over to well.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Crux wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:39 am
It's best to keep that "into knives" thing under wraps until it's serious and then bring it up slowly. Don't just break out a box of knives and machetes as that might not go over to well.
Unless you find one that has a dragonfly clipped to her pocket. Then go ahead and talk about knives.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Yeah, but it could be financially scary to have 2 knife enthusiasts under one roof. It'll be like, "hey hon I'm picking up a Spyderco XXX, you want me to get you one too?" every other day. I'd be living with her in a tent with a lot of knives. Maybe we could build a tent out of knives? :confused:
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

You know you have a winner if she presses up against you and, to paraphrase Mae West, says:
"Mmmmm. Is that a Spyderco in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"
Crux

Post by Crux »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm
You know you have a winner if she presses up against you and, to paraphrase Mae West, says:
"Mmmmm. Is that a Spyderco in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"
Good one!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

The 2 Captains are my favorites!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Crux

Post by Crux »

At 60 out of 88 I have to say that Wonder Woman tops my list.

Runner ups are:
Iron Man 1
Justice League 1
Spiderman 1

Tier 3:
Ghost Rider 1
Thor 1
Guardians of the Galaxy 1
Thor 3

Tier 4:
Captain America 1
Doctor Strange 1
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Iron Man 2
Man of Steel - Superman 6
The Phantom 1
Spiderman 2

Obviously In My Humble Opinion. :)
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Two of my favorites are The Shadow (1994) and The Punisher. They do not have superpowers but are extraordinary martial artists.

If you had a matching pair of pearl handled, nickel plated, LAR Grizzly .45 Win Mag, long-slide pistols, a cape and that hat, you would feel like a superhero, too.

The Punisher, not so stylish.

Finally, not a superhero by any stretch of the imagination. Just an ordinary man in extraordinary circumstances that I can relate to: Charles Bronson in the original Death Wish.

Last edited by Mad Mac on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:08 am
Bloke wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:31 am
...Just don’t stuff it up by telling her you’re
an accountant and into knives, bottle openers or any nonsense like that...
So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years.
Hahaha! If you talk to women like that you won’t get anywhere.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050