Bull Fighting: Is it barbaric and savage or a good cultural thing?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Re: Bull Fighting: Is it barbaric and savage or a good cultural thing?

Post by TomAiello »

demoncase wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:26 pm
Regardless of what I might find distasteful and needlessly cruel- it's entirely up to the Spanish to decide what should be banned.
That's a very wise viewpoint. I wish more people in this world thought like you.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:36 am
By that logic, we should allow dueling.

As for the bulls, is the meat used, or wasted? If the later, I'd agree with you. But, if the former, why is being killed in a bull ring any worse than being killed in a slaughterhouse? Please don't try to convince me those animals don't know something bad is about to happen, not that I've ever let that stop me from enjoying a steak or a hamburger.
Did you know that in Washington State, you can have a public fight. You can have an argument with someone, and it may turn in to a challenge match right there on the street, and the cops will even provide "security" for the match. No charges will be pressed.

This is how it should be. Big mouths and thugs might think twice before picking fights with people who are unable to protect themselves, because a bystander may decide to beat them at their game.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:17 am
If the bull didn't get ran through the streets for miles and stabbed several times before getting to the ring it might be more fair and then maybe I'd be ok with it.
I'd have to agree with this. I saw a bullfight in Spain a long time ago. El Cordobés if I recall correctly. It wasn't something that appealed to your sense of fair play. I wonder how many people root for the bull to kill the matador. Maybe that's the whole subversive point ?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Amazing and fascinating insights.
Michael, that is very neat that you lived in Spain. If I may ask, how did you like the food there, such as the traditional tapas and things? I have heard they make some very great local meats and cheeses and also breads, as do the French and others, ofcourse. Also, at the time did you visit their famous knife stores and handle and see the traditional Spanish Navajas? Those are very good knives.

I have heard some advocates who believe engineers should build realistic animatronic robotic bulls for bull fights and animatronic human looking boxer robots for boxing, to replace actual living animals and actual people, so the audience/fans get to see the physical activities without any harm being done to the animals or the humans. Do you all think this would ever be worth it for human science and engineering to produce, or, it would be a waste because fans would not want to see that done?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:31 am
Amazing and fascinating insights.
Michael, that is very neat that you lived in Spain. If I may ask, how did you like the food there, such as the traditional tapas and things? I have heard they make some very great local meats and cheeses and also breads, as do the French and others, ofcourse. Also, at the time did you visit their famous knife stores and handle and see the traditional Spanish Navajas? Those are very good knives.

I have heard some advocates who believe engineers should build realistic animatronic robotic bulls for bull fights and animatronic human looking boxer robots for boxing, to replace actual living animals and actual people, so the audience/fans get to see the physical activities without any harm being done to the animals or the humans. Do you all think this would ever be worth it for human science and engineering to produce, or, it would be a waste because fans would not want to see that done?
The food is great. Never visited a knife store so I have no knowledge of Spanish knives.

I suppose there would be some who would like to see robots destroy one another. Look at the popularity of fighting, “bloody” video games. But that misses the point. A real human being has no skin in that game, no risk, no possibility of getting dead if they screw up. All of us risk death. It is those who refuse to be ruled by that who really live.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

We have Battle Bots. Soon humans will be battling robots everywhere. In war. In the streets. For jobs.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Soon the bots build bots who design and build more bots. All those bots become the means of production. They continue to produce at a geometric rate but bots don’t consume. They don’t get paid. More bots make more money and give it all to humans so humans can consume what the bots are producing. Humans become slaves whose only jobs are to spend, consume, recycle, trash and make more little consumers.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
realistic animatronic robotic bulls
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:38 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
realistic animatronic robotic bulls
Bloke, how do you do it?! :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'd be more scared of that creepy contraption than an actual bull hahah!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:54 am
I lived in Spain for two years. I studied the history of bullfighting and read Death in the Afternoon. I have seen many bullfights. I have sat by the road and watched the toros and vaca bravas for hours. It is obvious that few Americans understand what a corrida is about or how it is done, much less why.

A Spanish toro is by nature a serious and deadly fighting animal. So is man (refer to our long history of killing one another). There are few arenas in which humans get to test themselves with the outcome of success or death. We have managed to remove that factor from almost everything and consider those who refuse to comply as crazy, thrill-seeking lunatics. Even the “brutal” and inherently dangerous activities like MMA, car racing and sword fighting have been regulated to reduce the chance of death.

The bull gets to go out fighting according to its nature and so does the torero. The dead bull is used for food, usually for those who can’t afford much. Same can’t be said for the matador.

It’s easy to denigrate the practices and activities of a different culture that we don’t understand. Happens all the time.
Yea if I was a bull I'd rather a shot to go down fighting than be killed in a slaughterhouse.

Not my kind of thing, but it's also not my culture so it's not my place to judge. I'm a fan of boxing and martial arts, I was a soldier. I understand the desire to test oneself in the arena of life.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I was born in Spain and have lived there my entire life, as has all family

Bull fighting is at the same level as dog fighting or cock fighting in my view. It was banned as a sport and event in my province (Catalunya) a few years back. :)

Needless to say, Catalunya is the province with the longest life expectancy, highest average IQ, and level of studies, highest taxes, as well as quality of life, income and tourism, and lowest illiteracy... :o
Maybe there's a relationship between those two?

SEF: our food is very good, specialties like Churros, Paella, Torrijas, Coca de LLardons, our Cold Cuts (Jamón Ibérico being the most iconic one, but also Chorizo, Botifarra, Salchichón, Lomo Embuchado, Fuet, Llonganissa...) and Cheeses (Idiazabal, Manchego, Torta del Casar, Cabrales, Queso de Burgos, Recuit de Drap...) and our Oils, Condiments, Sauces and Spreads (Sobrasada, Romesco, Allioli, Olivada...) are a good reason on their own to come and visit!! :p
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:10 pm
demoncase wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:26 pm
Regardless of what I might find distasteful and needlessly cruel- it's entirely up to the Spanish to decide what should be banned.
That's a very wise viewpoint. I wish more people in this world thought like you.
It's kept me safe on my travels around the world. ;)

A closed mouth gathers no feet
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I cheer for the bull, that's all I have to say on that. ;)
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I don’t like bull fighting I think it’s cruel and unethical. I always hope the bull wins, but in the end they never do.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
SpyderEdgeForever

A Spaniard once told me one of the delicious activities growing up was to use the first Spanish-made Navaja Knife to cut pieces of Spanish beef, cheese, ham, sausage, and bread, and make sandwiches from this. He said the classical navajas made with Spanish stainless steel are the best. The only foreign (non Spanish) knife that beats that is the Spyderco Navaja with its S30V stainless steel blade.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:39 am
i]to use the first Spanish-made Navaja Knife to cut pieces of Spanish beef, cheese, ham, sausage, and bread, and make sandwiches from this[/i].

Most of us did that every day,
some of us still do. :o
Here's one that I brought into school, to open food wrapping and packages, back in the day :D

SpyderEdgeForever

Peacent my friend that is an excellent looking little knife. The edge looks razor-sharp, too. I love those classic navajas!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

It is a cultural event, and it is up to the culture to decide.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!