1950s/60s TV Shows That Were Truly Ahead Of Their Time

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: 1950s/60s TV Shows That Were Truly Ahead Of Their Time

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:29 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:16 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:14 pm
It can’t just be the foreign accent, because most of the Australian and UK/Irish actors in Hollywood use the generic American accent in their roles here (and quite well, I might add). Maybe there is a shortage of mostly male, young, talented American actors.

Jim

And Women...

And ones that don't have their heads up their.... Well you get it. LOL

They have to do what they have to do in the end.
Lol, yup.

I studied screen acting for a few years, and while I met some nice people there and at some of the auditions and projects I took part in, I also unfortunately met several young aspiring actors, both male and female, who were extremely arrogant and delusional about their own talents. I still haven’t seen or heard of any of them in any big productions (or any at all, for that matter), so I guess none of them were The Next Big Thing.

Jim

And likely never will either.... ROFL...

I will take a Big Mac, Fries and a LG Coke please... ROFL :D
James Y

Post by James Y »

The thing is, the screen acting school I trained at, has a better-than-average track record of students getting work in local as well as some Hollywood TV and film productions and commercials. I’ve seen some of the stuff people were in, including two of my acting coaches. In fact, my favorite acting coach is in a current commercial where her character is talking to her husband about his depression...I’m not sure if that one has gone national or not, but I suspect it might be. However, I haven’t seen hide nor hair of the arrogant ones who were so sure they were better than everyone else.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:39 pm
The thing is, the screen acting school I trained at, has a better-than-average track record of students getting work in local as well as some Hollywood TV and film productions and commercials. I’ve seen some of the stuff people were in, including two of my acting coaches. In fact, my favorite acting coach is in a current commercial where her character is talking to her husband about his depression...I’m not sure if that one has gone national or not, but I suspect it might be. However, I haven’t seen hide nor hair of the arrogant ones who were so sure they were better than everyone else.

Jim

A lot of them end up doing commercials and or Soap Operas, Soaps can be good because they are steady work to develop their talents.

Some VERY good actors have come out of the Soaps over the years.
James Y

Post by James Y »

True. The actors in soap operas are acting all the time. The same with actors with a significant theatrical (stage) background, which I’m certain most of the soap actors have. That’s where a lot of the European (and most likely Australian and New Zealand) actors got their feet wet. Stage experience gives an actor a significant advantage in crossing over to small and big screen acting. Many New York-based TV actors also come from the stage, as NYC is a theatre town. This is obvious in shows like Law & Order: SVU and others. It’s MUCH easier to tone down one’s mannerisms for the screen than to have to hype one’s self up from a low-energy position to fill a role. All a stage actor needs to do is tone it down and act naturally and more subtly for the screen. Both of my acting coaches originally came from a theatrical background, and still took parts both on stage and the small screen.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:52 pm
True. The actors in soap operas are acting all the time. The same with actors with a significant theatrical (stage) background, which I’m certain most of the soap actors have. That’s where a lot of the European (and most likely Australian and New Zealand) actors got their feet wet. Stage experience gives an actor a significant advantage in crossing over to small and big screen acting. Many New York-based TV actors also come from the stage, as NYC is a theatre town. This is obvious in shows like Law & Order: SVU and others. It’s MUCH easier to tone down one’s mannerisms for the screen than to have to hype one’s self up from a low-energy position to fill a role. All a stage actor needs to do is tone it down and act naturally and more subtly for the screen. Both of my acting coaches originally came from a theatrical background, and still took parts both on stage and the small screen.

Jim

I agree. :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have a family member that is a voice coach/teacher and has gotten to know a few actors that went on to making movies and TV stuff. She explained to me the reality of the lives of the ones she taught. Most of them have been doing specialized training since very young. They have voice teachers, dance teachers, acting coaches, etc. Their parents have put literally tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars into their children. Many of these children even find time to get good grades at school, do well in sports and have other activities. These kids know what they want from life and do work hard for it. All that is admirable to me. The thing though is the parents. I know of a couple that moved the whole family to L.A./Hollywood for their child's "career".

I have respect for people who make themselves succeed through hard work and effort and bettering themselves for their chosen field to make themselves more desirable by learning languages and becoming good actors and such but I'll never see how it is right for a parent/parents to wrap theirs and their other children's lives around one childs career to that degree. It isn't all that uncommon though.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:16 pm
I have a family member that is a voice coach/teacher and has gotten to know a few actors that went on to making movies and TV stuff. She explained to me the reality of the lives of the ones she taught. Most of them have been doing specialized training since very young. They have voice teachers, dance teachers, acting coaches, etc. Their parents have put literally tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars into their children. Many of these children even find time to get good grades at school, do well in sports and have other activities. These kids know what they want from life and do work hard for it. All that is admirable to me. The thing though is the parents. I know of a couple that moved the whole family to L.A./Hollywood for their child's "career".

I have respect for people who make themselves succeed through hard work and effort and bettering themselves for their chosen field to make themselves more desirable by learning languages and becoming good actors and such but I'll never see how it is right for a parent/parents to wrap theirs and their other children's lives around one childs career to that degree. It isn't all that uncommon though.
Those types of parents clearly see their precocious child as their cash cow. Personally, if I had a child who was training acting, voice, singing, etc., had some natural talent and wanted to become a star, I would make him or her wait until they turned 18. I’ve heard too many horror stories of child actors and their parents in Hollywood. Some make a good go of it into adulthood, but the Hollywood lifestyle messes a lot of them up. I’m not going into some of the biggest reasons here.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:36 pm
The Mastiff wrote:

Those types of parents clearly see their precocious child as their cash cow. Personally, if I had a child who was training acting, voice, singing, etc., had some natural talent and wanted to become a star, I would make him or her wait until they turned 18. I’ve heard too many horror stories of child actors and their parents in Hollywood. Some make a good go of it into adulthood, but the Hollywood lifestyle messes a lot of them up. I’m not going into some of the biggest reasons here.

Jim

A lot of horror stories, yeah we won't talk about those here. :eek:

I think the parents are one of the biggest problems, something that has been seen more times than we can count over the years.

Kinda like the Athletes and Beauty Pageant types, same deal.

Heck we have one local to Joe and I Guy here from NC that won American Idol, he was underage when he won.

As soon as he could he got far away from his parents if that tells you anything, far away. ;)

I think he is married now too so good for him.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

It was 1965 in San Antonio. My neighbor's sister checked the strap holding her guitar case to the luggage rack on her boyfriend's green MGB. As they drove away, I asked her brother, an 11th grade classmate of mine, "Where are they going."

"To Hollywood to be discovered," he replied. His sister and her boyfriend had played guitar and sung folk songs to entertain us in his living room, but I blurted, "You can't go to Hollywood and be discovered."

Maybe you've heard of him. Mike Nesmith of the Monkees.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

No question about that. I'd guess that is what they had in mind when they brought them to class after class, as well as paid for not just braces but complete cosmetic workups and cosmetic surgical procedures well before the kid is even 18. My guess is they see it as an investment. Imagine being the other sister or brother who has to follow along while the whole family becomes a support net for the other more successful child. :rolleyes:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:02 pm
No question about that. I'd guess that is what they had in mind when they brought them to class after class, as well as paid for not just braces but complete cosmetic workups and cosmetic surgical procedures well before the kid is even 18. My guess is they see it as an investment. Imagine being the other sister or brother who has to follow along while the whole family becomes a support net for the other more successful child. :rolleyes:

I think there needs to be laws written to make this Illegal to protect the kids from the toxic parents.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve heard of at least a couple cases where successful child actors ended up becoming legally emancipated from their parents because of the parents’ greed.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:28 am
I’ve heard of at least a couple cases where successful child actors ended up becoming legally emancipated from their parents because of the parents’ greed.

Jim

That happens more often than you think actually.

I read someplace that if a kid wins American Idol they have lawyers in place to protect the kids and their won and future assets from the parents etc.

So that is separating the parents from the kids like you are talking about.

That is the only right thing to do really.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:31 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

I read someplace that if a kid wins American Idol they have lawyers in place to protect the kids and their won assets from the parents etc.
That’s a very good thing, IMO.

One of my acting coaches (this one was a guy) also sometimes works as a casting director. He told us that one time, as he was auditioning actors for a small horror project, a woman came in and was crowing about how great an actor her young (preteen) daughter was (the child wasn’t actually present). My coach told her that he wasn’t auditioning kids for this particular project. He said the mom insisted that her child could do ANYTHING. My coach decided to test her, to see what kind of person this mom was. He told her something like there is a scene involving a child being brutally attacked. The mom repeated to him, “She will do ANYTHING.” At this point, he was disgusted enough that he told the mom that there was no such scene, and that she needs to leave and get psychological help.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:41 am
Ankerson wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:31 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

I read someplace that if a kid wins American Idol they have lawyers in place to protect the kids and their won assets from the parents etc.
That’s a very good thing, IMO.

One of my acting coaches (this one was a guy) also sometimes works as a casting director. He told us that one time, as he was auditioning actors for a small horror project, a woman came in and was crowing about how great an actor her young (preteen) daughter was (the child wasn’t actually present). My coach told her that he wasn’t auditioning kids for this particular project. He said the mom insisted that her child could do ANYTHING. My coach decided to test her, to see what kind of person this mom was. He told her something like there is a scene involving a child being brutally attacked. The mom repeated to him, “She will do ANYTHING.” At this point, he was disgusted enough that he told the mom that there was no such scene, and that she needs to leave and get psychological help.

Jim

OMG... :eek:

American Idol makes the contestants go though the paperwork with the lawyers etc once they reach a certain stage.

Then once they win they finalize the paperwork and set everything up for them taking care of all the legal and financial matters.

So if they do win they are at that point separated from the parents legally.

Yes, that was a great thing that they do.

It would be a disaster for AI if they didn't do it and protect them really.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Uh... let me make sure I understand. The parents invest tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands to develop the talent of a child who is self motivated, relocate their family, make sacrifices and forsake their own careers, work two or three jobs to pay for it all and then American Idol cuts them off and cashes in on the kid?
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mad Mac wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:18 am
Uh... let me make sure I understand. The parents invest tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands to develop the talent of a child who is self motivated, relocate their family, make sacrifices and forsake their own careers, work two or three jobs to pay for it all and then American Idol cuts them off and cashes in on the kid?

Nobody that has ever actually won AI had parents that even came remotely close to that.....

So lets be realistic here. ;)
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

That's a relief.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mad Mac wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:30 am
That's a relief.

It would never happen anyway, they would never make it past the screening process. ;)

They are a lot stricter than most people would think.

The chance of actually winning AI is VERY remote to say the least, to even get to the show is almost impossible.

So parents that have those types of means would have much better luck doing it the right way. Funding a band etc.....

One would have a better chance making it into Pro Sports than to even get close to the top 25 in AI.

And even if they do happen to win that doesn't mean they will actually make it as a singer.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:36 pm
The Mastiff wrote:

Jim
JIm I couldn't agree with you more ;) The lineup of kid actors from the 60s thru the 80s who ended up in tradgedy is so long it literally makes me sick just to think about it. Rusty Hammer of the old Danny Thomas show, Anissa Jones ( Buffy of "Buffy & Jody fame"), Dana Plato just to name a very few of many I could list whose lives ended up in the sewer or worse ( dead). There should be some kind of regulations and strict oversight for child/teen actors. Because way too many times it seems that many of these child prodigies end up with their lives destroyed before they are ever even old enough to vote.
Even kids that they use in TV commercials or early music sensations like David Cassidy all seem to have horror stories to tell. Take Tatum O'Neal for instance>> had her own dad beat her because she won an academy award that he wanted for himself ( i.e. Paper Moon fame). It's truly criminal how kids have been treated in the acting field and you can go all the way back to Shirley Temple too.