1950s/60s TV Shows That Were Truly Ahead Of Their Time

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: 1950s/60s TV Shows That Were Truly Ahead Of Their Time

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:52 pm
Ankerson you summed it up pretty accurately. Comparing the rock and country music industries compared to what they were in the 70s, 80s and midway through the 90s is even worse than a day versus night comparison. There isn't one female singer that can hold a candle compared to Janis Joplin and there were so many great male lead singers back in the day that totally dwarf the so-called stars of our modern time. Ian Gillian of the original Deep Purple was better than any of these newer guys>> and you can put Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull at a high position.

Even among the classic black musicians>> there are no artists that can compare to the old Motown artists. I actually sort of liked a few of them. But all this rap and hip hop is truly raw sewage IMO. None of the Country & Western artists since maybe Garth Brooks have shown me any notable talent at all. There will never be another Johnny Cash or Merle Haggard>> all those guys were true artists. Case Closed ;)

OMG yeah, the stuff they call music today is just noise at best.

There are VERY few singers today that can actually sing live.....

The Country singers today are so bad, Country music today as a whole isn't even a shadow of what it once was.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:45 pm
Today I think MOST of them slept themselves into their so called careers... Same with the so called singers that almost none of which can sing...

I think the whole thing is a bad joke and getting worse as time goes on.
I agree with the singers in particular. Nowadays, you’re not considered a good singer unless one can perform endless vocal acrobatics, putting more into trying to impress with one’s vocal range than in putting actual emotion and meaning into a song. I will admit that, of the current popular singers I’ve heard, Kelly Clarkson is a very good singer who can go live and doesn’t need to overdo something to make it her own. Though as a rule, I prefer to listen to popular music of the ‘60s through the ‘80s.

As for the actors, I’m not sure if it’s that the actors themselves are worse, or the movies/shows are worse, or if it’s a combination of the two. If a movie gets tons of Hollywood acclaim and wins an academy award, that usually means I DON’T want to watch it, because that usually means a pretentious, boring film.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:59 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:45 pm
Today I think MOST of them slept themselves into their so called careers... Same with the so called singers that almost none of which can sing...

I think the whole thing is a bad joke and getting worse as time goes on.
I agree with the singers in particular. Nowadays, you’re not considered a good singer unless one can perform endless vocal acrobatics, putting more into trying to impress with one’s vocal range than in putting actual emotion and meaning into a song. I will admit that, of the current popular singers I’ve heard, Kelly Clarkson is a very good singer who can go live and doesn’t need to overdo something to make it her own. Though as a rule, I prefer to listen to popular music of the ‘60s through the ‘80s.

As for the actors, I’m not sure if it’s that the actors themselves are worse, or the movies/shows are worse, or if it’s a combination of the two. If a movie gets tons of Hollywood acclaim and wins an academy award, that usually means I DON’T want to watch it, because that usually means a pretentious, boring film.

Jim
Jim,

You are right, the academy award thing has always been a warning to me not to watch it... :eek:

60's through 80's music was the best IMO.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson,

Something else that has gone downhill is movie (and TV) soundtracks. There used to be great and unique original soundtracks. Now the soundtracks are either generically bland or “borrowed” from older movies or music sources. I think the era of the memorable original soundtracks ended sometime in the ‘90s.

Jim
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

This conversation reminds me of a Bill Cosby stand up routine.
When he was a boy, his father would yell, "Turn that crap down."
After he had a son of his own, he yelled, "Turn that crap down."

We identify with the entertainers, music, and movies of our youth.
Each generation that follows has a different set of idols, values and preferences.
In other words, we are getting old.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:20 pm
Ankerson,

Something else that has gone downhill is movie (and TV) soundtracks. There used to be great and unique original soundtracks. Now the soundtracks are either generically bland or “borrowed” from older movies or music sources. I think the era of the memorable original soundtracks ended sometime in the ‘90s.

Jim
Oh I remember the "Easy Rider" soundtrack>> I don't think anyone has done that good since. I still had that album up to about 5 years ago and I don't know what happened to it>> probably stolen like my G-10 Harpy :mad: >> because it's probably got a little collector value to it at this point.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Kind of OT, but there is at least ONE good recent horror movie, and I mentioned it a few times in my ‘horror movies’ thread. That movie is ‘Hereditary’. It came out maybe a couple years ago. I put it up there quality-wise with some of the great horror classics, like Rosemary’s Baby.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Just watched The Ten Commandments (1956) over the past few days. :)

Been a long time since I watched it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:27 am

Is that the Cecil B. DeMille version? For all the distortions that Hollywood is often guilty of I thought they at least did a fair job on that Movie as well as
"Moses The Law Giver"
There were actually a lot of well made movies in the 50s despite their lack of technology that we have for movie making now.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:14 am
Ankerson wrote:

Is that the Cecil B. DeMills version? For all the distortions that Hollywood is often guilty of I thought they at least did a fair job on that Movie as well as
"Moses The Law Giver"

Yeah, the 1956 vers that has been restored in Color.

The one with Charlton Heston in it.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:

As a kid, I always enjoyed that movie, but mostly for the special effects, such as the pillar of fire and, of course, the parting of the Red Sea. I also liked the soundtrack. Even though I’ve never really been a fan of Biblical movies in general, and I’ve never taken it literally.

I thought it was always in color.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:17 pm
Ankerson wrote:

As a kid, I always enjoyed that movie, but mostly for the special effects, such as the pillar of fire and, of course, the parting of the Red Sea. I also liked the soundtrack. Even though I’ve never really been a fan of Biblical movies in general, and I’ve never taken it literally.

Jim

Yeah it was, but they improved the color and sound when they converted it over to DVD.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:54 pm
James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:17 pm
Ankerson wrote:

Jim

Yeah it was, but they improved the color and sound when they converted it over to DVD.
That’s good to hear. I have the DVD, which I bought a few years ago, but it’s in a group of DVDs I still haven’t watched.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With all the bad recent talk about some of the older stars like Bill Cosby for instance I still remember how some of those guys got their initial start. I was never a huge fan of Bill Cosby's so called humor >> actually I thought he was kind of borderline silly instead of being truly funny. In that genre he probably appealed to kids more than rational adults :rolleyes:

But the show I've always felt that I thought Bill Cosby really showed his potential and true talent was when him and another actor named Robert Culp were in a really cool show called "I-Spy" which aired in the mid to late 60s. It was a serious, suspenseful role and one of the few times you would see Bill Cosby show his true talents as a serious actor. It was also a time when unfortunately "African- Americans" were not appreciated like they are now a days. He really broke the ice in a lot of ways with that show. Truly I wish he would have done more stuff like "I-Spy".

It was one of the first "Spy" type shows I remember and one of the first that I thought was truly good and well acted. I'm wondering how many of you remember the 60s TV Show "I-Spy" ???
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:38 am
With all the bad recent talk about some of the older stars like Bill Cosby for instance I still remember how some of those guys got their initial start. I was never a huge fan of Bill Cosby's so called humor >> actually I thought he was kind of borderline silly instead of being truly funny. In that genre he probably appealed to kids more than rational adults :rolleyes:

But the show I've always felt that I thought Bill Cosby really showed his potential and true talent was when him and another actor named Robert Culp were in a really cool show called "I-Spy" which aired in the mid to late 60s. It was a serious, suspenseful role and one of the few times you would see Bill Cosby show his true talents as a serious actor. It was also a time when unfortunately "African- Americans" were not appreciated like they are now a days. He really broke the ice in a lot of ways with that show. Truly I wish he would have done more stuff like "I-Spy".

It was one of the first "Spy" type shows I remember and one of the first that I thought was truly good and well acted. I'm wondering how many of you remember the 60s TV Show "I-Spy" ???

I remember it.

There were more than a few serious Black Actors in that time frame, they were good too.

Today it seems like a lot of them are running themselves out of the business with all that political BS never to be heard from again acting wise.

Same with some of the women too, running themselves right out of the business... just stupid really...

When will they learn that nobody wants to deal with an activist... I don't blame them at all for cutting them all loose either because there are zero positives in dealing with them... ;)

Then there are truly great actors like Denzel Washington. Just 1st class all the way around.. :cool:

But then like we were saying before they are using more foreign actors these days, you would think these morons would wake up and get smarter.. In these days and times I seriously doubt it though.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:52 am
JD Spydo wrote:

I remember it.

There were more than a few serious Black Actors in that time frame, they were good too.

Today it seems like a lot of them are running themselves out of the business with all that political BS never to be heard from again acting wise.
I wasn't trying to convey that Bill Cosby was the only black actor during that time period that did well in spite of that harsh environment of the 60s.

I was just simply stating that most people acknowledge Cosby for his popularity as a silly comedian rather than his true acting skills. I was just pointing out that I thought he had the potential to be a superb serious actor and I wish he would have taken that route instead of his outright juvenile silliness with Fat Albert and all that other moronic nonsense. I think that Cosby's acting skills could have landed him roles in about any genre of movies or other serious roles. Which I think would have paid much better dividends in the big picture.

But like a lot of other celebrities he probably just went with what he thought would bring in the big bucks at that given time >> and if that's the case I guess I can't hardly blame the guy in a way.

Now on the other hand I totally agree with you that all this Kneeling Crap during National Anthems at ball games is just outright ridiculous and a horrible, stupid way to try to get your point across. It accomplished absolutely NOTHING! If anything it has backfired on these actors and athletes in a really bad way and caused the opposite effect of what they were trying to achieve.

I doubt if one of 50 of Bill Cosby's most ardent fans even know anything about his great acting in the 60s TV Show "I-Spy". Basically because most of his fans weren't even born then. Him and Robert Culp were truly a great acting team in that show and that is what I was trying to convey. But it's all good.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:24 am
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:52 am
JD Spydo wrote:

I remember it.

I wasn't trying to convey that Bill Cosby was the only black actor during that time period that did well in spite of that harsh environment of the 60s.

I was just simply stating that most people acknowledge Cosby for his popularity as a silly comedian rather than his true acting skills. I was just pointing out that I thought he had the potential to be a superb serious actor and I wish he would have taken that route instead of his outright juvenile silliness with Fat Albert and all that other moronic nonsense. I think that Cosby's acting skills could have landed him roles in about any genre of movies or other serious roles. Which I think would have paid much better dividends in the big picture.

But like a lot of other celebrities he probably just went with what he thought would bring in the big bucks at that given time >> and if that's the case I guess I can't hardly blame the guy in a way.

Now on the other hand I totally agree with you that all this Kneeling Crap during National Anthems at ball games is just outright ridiculous and a horrible, stupid way to try to get your point across. It accomplished absolutely NOTHING! If anything it has backfired on these actors and athletes in a really bad way and caused the opposite effect of what they were trying to achieve.

I doubt if one of 50 of Bill Cosby's most ardent fans even know anything about his great acting in the 60s TV Show "I-Spy". Basically because most of his fans weren't even born then. Him and Robert Culp were truly a great acting team in that show and that is what I was trying to convey. But it's all good.

I am not sure why some of these idiot actors etc think voicing politics is the smart thing to do.

Some are has-beens' just trying to get into the spotlight again, even dumber because that will defiantly not work.

It will always backfire on them... NOBODY wants to deal with activists....
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Cosby has been ranked as one of the best stand-up comedians of all time,
which is remarkable considering that his material was clean and relatable to all people.

Whereas other comedians relied on shock value, vulgarity or ethnocentric or gendercentric material,
Cosby related experiences from growing up to skiing in an engaging and hysterical manner to which everyone could relate.

I had the pleasure of seeing him deliver an engrossing performance in Houston's Legendary Theater in the Round.
From the heights of being America's Dad, Dr. Cliff Huxtable on the Cosby Show, followed a descent to gross depravity.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I remember I Spy during its original run, but I was a little kid (very little), and it wasn’t a favorite at that age, so my memories about it are vague. Something that is interesting to me in retrospect is that at the time, I did not notice a color difference, if that makes any sense. Just like in my neighborhood, our family was never made to feel different for being Japanese-American, I didn’t see the ‘blackness’ or the ‘whiteness’ of characters on TV, even at a time when non-white representation was low. The same goes for Ivan Dixon, whom I remembered from Hogan’s Heroes (which I recall more clearly than I Spy), and a couple Twilight Zone episodes. It wasn’t until I was in school in about 1st grade that I began to notice racial differences.

One modern-day actor who completely ruined his career in a really pathetic bid for attention is that Jussie Smollett guy. In case anybody in unaware, Smollett ( who is black) staged a “racist” attack on himself by paying two African immigrants to rough him up a bit. Here the guy had a successful acting career, in an industry that is extremely difficult to break into, and decided to try to garner sympathy for himself, but it backfired. In fact, the first time I ever even heard of the guy was because of this scandal. This idiotic stunt not only ruined his career, but it is an insult to, and hurts the credibility of, those people who are true victims of racially-motivated attacks.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:54 am
I remember I Spy during its original run, but I was a little kid (very little), and it wasn’t a favorite at that age, so my memories about it are vague. Something that is interesting to me in retrospect is that at the time, I did not notice a color difference, if that makes any sense. Just like in my neighborhood, our family was never made to feel different for being Japanese-American, I didn’t see the ‘blackness’ or the ‘whiteness’ of characters on TV, even at a time when non-white representation was low. The same goes for Ivan Dixon, whom I remembered from Hogan’s Heroes (which I recall more clearly than I Spy), and a couple Twilight Zone episodes. It wasn’t until I was in school in about 1st grade that I began to notice racial differences.

One modern-day actor who completely ruined his career in a really pathetic bid for attention is that Jussie Smollett guy. In case anybody in unaware, Smollett ( who is black) staged a “racist” attack on himself by paying two African immigrants to rough him up a bit. Here the guy had a successful acting career, in an industry that is extremely difficult to break into, and decided to try to garner sympathy for himself, but it backfired. In fact, the first time I ever even heard of the guy was because of this scandal. This idiotic stunt not only ruined his career, but it is an insult to, and hurts the credibility of, those people who are true victims of racially-motivated attacks.

Jim

There was one just recently that killed her career completely.. She is Afton Williamson that was fired for stirring up supposed racial crap on the "ROOKIE"... Her career as an actor is over..... Nobody in the business will ever want to deal with her again....

She was replaced by another black actress... ;)