Recommend THE BEST (toughest) Torx screwdriver set?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mako109

Recommend THE BEST (toughest) Torx screwdriver set?

Post by Mako109 »

Finally ruined my budget Husky set. They lasted a good long while but several bits met their demise after encountering stubborn Red Loctite.

I'm ready to spend money for a high quality set. What you the experts recommend?
Extra330SC

Re: Recommend THE BEST (toughest) Torx screwdriver set?

Post by Extra330SC »

Pick your POISON. ..
Whia
Witte
Wera
Felo
Bondhus
PB Swiss
Klein

I have the Whia Stubby (1/4)and Pen Tool (micro bits) that handles most jobs. My dad owned gas stations and auto repair shops ...so I also have individual drivers from Kal Tool , Snap on, Proto, Xcelite, and Klein. If money is not an issue ....I would get a Whia combination (multiple bits in 1 unit) driver and a set of individual pieces for maximum strength , Leverage, And torque.

These tools are just like our knife blades. Usually the more expensive ones use the best steel and heat treat!

James
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Wiha and Wera have the best reputation and are probably the best you'll find within reason.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Extra330SC wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:49 pm
These tools are just like our knife blades. Usually the more expensive ones use the best steel and heat treat!
I hear yah. Thank you for the recommendations!
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Enactive wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:55 pm
Wiha and Wera have the best reputation and are probably the best you'll find within reason.
I'm coming to that conclusion too. Thanks much for your reply!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I'd stay away from Klein. Their pliers are good, screwdrivers are overpriced junk.

I'd go with wiha or wera.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela

Post by 013 »

I would say Wiha. The 5 bit set is about $1.25 per bit.
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
benben

Post by benben »

soc_monki wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:02 am
I'd stay away from Klein. Their pliers are good, screwdrivers are overpriced junk.

Completely agree! I own roughly 8K to 10K worth of Snap-On and Mac tools. I know this is a thread about Torx bits & drivers, but since pliers were brought up, I highly recommend Knipex pliers for anyone in the market for new pliers! Even our Snap-On and Mac distributors around here keep Knipex pliers on their trucks!

Oh, I own Wiha Torx bits, very happy with them!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I usually recommend the Husky set...I have two and haven't killed them yet but when that happens I'm going with Wiha.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

benben wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:54 am
soc_monki wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:02 am

Completely agree! I own roughly 8K to 10K worth of Snap-On and Mac tools. I know this is a thread about Torx bits & drivers, but since pliers were brought up, I highly recommend Knipex pliers for anyone in the market for new pliers! Even our Snap-On and Mac distributors around here keep Knipex pliers on their trucks!

Knipex FTW!

If you are a tool guy or do trades work you SHOULD have their "pliers wrench" in a few sizes. Their tools are the ****. I think they also use powder/ particle steels. :D
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Knipex pliers, great to know. Thank you for all of your recommendations!
benben

Post by benben »

Mako109 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:17 pm
Knipex pliers, great to know. Thank you for all of your recommendations!
Home Depot carries Knipex.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hand- ... vZc987Z4eu
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Wiha are great. I've had good luck with Bondhus as well.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

When I finally killed my Husky set I went with Wiha. They have been absolutely great.
Josh
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I destroyed my Wiha set, actually.

PB Swiss has given me the best service.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

benben wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:54 am

I'm an electrician and when I got in the trade I was told to get Klein. It's what everyone used. My linemans wore out in 3 years and I didn't even use them too hard, the screwdrivers are soft and their diagonal cutters are a crap shoot to see if you get a correctly aligned set of Jaws. Oh and the break in... Lol.

I now use knipex linemans, cobra and alligator pliers, pliers wrenches, and wire shears. The best thing is they aren't stiff out of the box. Picquic screwdrivers are the bees knees, and Channellock makes a mean pair of diagonal cutters. I do have some Klein stuff (6 in 1 nut driver) that I use at work, but my warranted linemans and cutters are at home in my backup bag. I do enjoy their hybrid pliers though... All you need to do stuff around the house are the hybrid pliers and a screwdriver!

German tools rock!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Ordered this kit today and by coincidence YouTube knife reviewer, Nick Shabazz, posted the same kit on his IG account. Hope I made the right decision. It's definitely an overdue step up from my current tools. I'm about as excited over this as I usually am over a new knife. Comments and criticisms are welcomed as I can always return it. Thanks all for your help!

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I think you’ll be very happy. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Wiha is good stuff! I'll probably pick that up myself when I wear out my cheap drivers.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mako109 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:36 am
Ordered this kit today and by coincidence YouTube knife reviewer, Nick Shabazz, posted the same kit on his IG account. Hope I made the right decision. It's definitely an overdue step up from my current tools. I'm about as excited over this as I usually am over a new knife. Comments and criticisms are welcomed as I can always return it. Thanks all for your help!

I like that. Link?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David