Benchmade Bailout - your thoughts?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
michaelm466

Re: Benchmade Bailout - your thoughts?

Post by michaelm466 »

I'd rather see CPM-3V used on something like the Adamas Folder or the Contego and with a proper hardness (60-62). I've seen several swords made by the custom makers on BF at 60hrc.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

michaelm466 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:40 pm
I'd rather see CPM-3V used on something like the Adamas Folder or the Contego and with a proper hardness (60-62). I've seen several swords made by the custom makers on BF at 60hrc.

Yes, I think I'll pass on this, after all. What I'm most interested in is the steel, and if it's not optimally heat treated then what is the point.

I still like the design though, and if Benchmade tweaked their HT I would seriously consider buying one.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I was very excited to see a 3V folder from a company like Benchmade, but it seems like they dropped the ball on heat treat and design.

I still truly believe there can be solid performing 3V folders, but there can be no room for error with such a controversial topic.

If anyone can do it right, it's Spyderco. Models like the Shaman, Chief, Manix XL, and Military would be awesome with a 3V blade that has been properly heat treated. Even something like the Manix LW or Para 3 LW would be awesome with properly heat treated 3V. I'm not going to be stabbing car hoods or burying my tip an inch deep in wood and torquing it out, so please don't tell me a lightweight folder males no sense in 3V. Despite what youtube tells you, 3V is a solid performing steel for non-abusive tasks as well!!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I've got a Benchmade Bugout that is a great office EDC. S30V is not my favorite steel, but the light weight an deep carry clip appealed to me. I still wish that Benchmade had gone the route of G10 and 154CM like my Benchmade 531 - my previous lightweight carry.

All that said, I was intrigued my the Bailout till I saw the goofy lanyard extension on the butt end of it. I'm betting it would be a hotspot during use. Then I started seeing the reports of the heat treat being low. Why use an upgraded steel (with an upgraded price) if you're not going to make the tolerances to get the most out of it? Makes it seem like they are selling the idea of 3V without the ability to back it up.

Not trying to put Benchmade down. I really like my 531 and Bugout. Besides my Delica, that 531 has seen some hard use when I worked at Urgent Care clinics. I just think Benchmade made a mistake on the Bailout.