Common Sense: Nearing Extinction Unfortunately

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: Common Sense: Nearing Extinction Unfortunately

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:39 pm
JD, hardly a day goes by in my area without the local news reporting a fatal accident. Nine times out of ten, the folks who died were not wearing seat belts.
Now Paul I will agree with that to a certain extent. But I'm still telling you that the main factor of highway and road vehicle deaths is mostly from those GOD forsaken cell phones. Because when someone is texting or FACEBOOKing or e-mailing while trying to drive>> a guy who is halfway drunk can do better than those people can in most incidents. The reason the problem isn't out in the forefront of the news and brought up in town hall issues is because in many cases it's really hard to prove it. There have been at least 3 cases of cell phone junkies here in my town of Blue Springs MO where the kids in the vehicle actually admitted to the cops that the driver, which in most cases is their parent was on the stupid phone or even texting when they ran the red light or rear ended someone or crossed lanes without using their signals and I could go on and on. Or in a lot of cases crossed in front of someone without using their turn indicator signal on one our many high speed freeways where we are bumper to bumper in 70 MPH traffic. And I can't even begin to tell you how much carnage we've been having on those roads :rolleyes:

OH I'm not at all arguing with you that there are people who don't use their seatbelts. But I still maintain that cell phone usage while driving is without a shred of a doubt is by far the biggest culprit. Case Closed ;)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

“Whither are the manly vigour and athletic appearance of our forefathers flown? Can these be their legitimate heirs? Surely, no; a race of effeminate, self-admiring, emaciated fribbles can never have descended in a direct line from the heroes of Potiers and Agincourt…”

Letter in Town and Country magazine republished in Paris Fashion: A Cultural History
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:42 pm
Joe,

As long as someone is living within their means, I don't see much wrong with pursuing their interests, as long as it's not hurting anybody else. If they are doing it beyond their means, that's a different story.

What really grabs my attention is totally stupid stuff that makes no sense at all, but ends up being so costly. Just the other day in the local news, some young guy fell off a pier at the beach trying to take a selfie.

Also, the people who leave their car with the key in the ignition and the motor running in the parking lot to go into the store, often with a baby left in the car. There have been several cases of car thieves jumping in and driving off with the owner's baby and or children inside.
Well Jim I'll start with the last one on your list. We did indeed have a lady a few years back go into a convenience store with her practically new Jeep Cherokee running. keys in the ignition and with her 5 year old son in the back seat of the car. There was a royal scumbag named Kim Davis who had just been let out of jail that day and he hi-jacked the car with the kid in it. While this scumbag was flying down I-70 ( major freeway) going at extremely high speeds the kid paniced and tried to open the door, got caught up in the seatbelt and was literally drug on the pavement wraped up in the seatbelt and several motorists saw it and they finally trapped the guy on an exit ramp and half the kid's body was gone>> this was incredibly gruesome and it actually gave me bad dreams for a couple of days. All because his mother who will have to live with that for the rest of her life left the car running with the keys in it and her 5 year old son helpless and in a state of panic. And that's not the only incident we've had like that here where I live. Just look up Jake Robel, Independence, MO and it's all there on the internet for anyone to read in case anyone thinks I'm making it up.

What I was driving at with the litany of complaints I made about people getting their priorities screwed up. I was making a point that these people are doing all these things while the majority of them are in debt already up to their eyeballs. Hey if they are super successful and have tons of disposable cash then more power to them. But most of these people I listed are already upside down in everything they own ( only on paper).

Also one lady here in the Kansas City area who had 3 children and a truly good husband from what everyone told me went to one of those Bungee Jumps and ended up breaking her neck to the point to where they are sure she is going to be a paraplegic and quite possibly a quadraplegic for the rest of her life. And my point is what the **** is a 30 something year old woman with a great husband and 3 darling kids risking everything she had>> for what I might add???? Just so she could take a trendy "SELFIE" of herself so she could be trendy among all her trendy Yuppie friends :rolleyes: Hey my heart truly goes out to her>> but what the **** was she thinking!!!??? :confused:

Jim I guess my whole point on my rant was to point out that people truly have their life's priorities totally out of whack. To the point to where it literally makes me sick. And I just can't imagine the living **** those poor kids are going to have to endure just because mom didn't have the sense that GOD gave an earthworm. But I also see what you're trying to get across as well. I still say is common sense dead? Are we going to read the obituary for common sense tomorrow? I'm truly wondering if those cell phones don't have some type of sophisticated mind control properties. I'm just guessing on that one. Because it truly seems like these phones have many of these people in a mindless trance of some sort. But for sure something is not right in this present day and age.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Good points all, Joe.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:37 am
Naperville, what do you say to those poor souls who have a "rural attitude" but due to various circumstances in their life, they live in the ghetto areas in big cities that are prone to violence and the problems you and others mentioned? What are their alternatives?
What would I say? I think I'd say, see if you can get out and do some basic research regarding where you plan to move so that you do not live with this senseless violence day-in day-out.

There is a lot that goes in to moving and poor people are not that mobile. They lack the means to up and move. It's rough.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:20 pm
OH I'm not at all arguing with you that there are people who don't use their seatbelts. But I still maintain that cell phone usage while driving is without a shred of a doubt is by far the biggest culprit. Case Closed ;)

Well Joe, no matter what caused the crash, wearing a seat belt increases a person's chances of surviving it. To me, that's just common sense which, as you pointed out, is no longer common. I also think the causes are a bit more nuanced here in SC. Am sure cell phone usage plays a role in some of them, but most fatal crashes here involve several other "risk multipliers". Alcohol is the most obvious and is a factor in many fatal accidents as are young and inexperienced drivers. Am sure drugs are a factor in some of them as well. Beyond that, South Carolina's method of taxing motor vehicles annually as "personal property" based on their estimated value encourages folks to drive older vehicles and the lack of state mandated annual safety inspections means a fair percentage of them will be poorly maintained.

I have one neighbor who would never think of leaving the house without a handgun on his hip, but can't be bothered to use his seat belt half the time. To me, that's dumb. Pretty sure that, unless you're a drug dealer, you have a much greater chance of being the victim of an idiot in a car than being the victim of a bad guy with a gun.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

JD, Deacon, and others: The other thing answer to the original question is this: In general, with some exceptions, most people want mercy and grace towards them and their friends/allies/people they like, and, law/justice/judgement on those they do not like and who do not share their views. Without going against the forum rules about certain topics that can lead to heated debate and argument, look at it like this: The same woman who demands the right to do what she wants with her body will turn around and want your right to carry a folding lock blade knife, or, a semi-automatic pistol, for personal protection, banned and taken away from you. That is a "microcosm" of the bigger picture. This is called relativism in a sense.

This attitude is prevalent world wide and has been a part of mankind for a very long time.

Here is a real-life example of the above, as well as the example I already used:

One time I went to a movie theater to watch a newly released feature film. Sitting about two or three rows behind me, all throughout the entire movie, was a very loud and obnoxious person who kept making loud remarks as the movie progressed. A few people told him to keep quiet but he didn't, and to my surprise, no security guard arrived. Most people, including myself, most likely felt it was not worth it to walk over and say something because the person could have gotten violent. Anyhow, when the movie ended, said individual was accidentally bumped into by another movie-goer; and made a big stink about it, leaving the theater.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I won't go deep into the so-called "pro-choice" issue ( which is a horrible misnomer IMO) but I do find it really weird that 95% of the people who are "pro-choice" against a defenseless human baby are for the most part totally opposed to the death penalty for heinous criminals that do all kinds of horrific and un-speakable crimes against humanity :rolleyes: . Something just seems way out of sync with that viewpoint and I'll just rest my case with that one :rolleyes:

And I'm in no way trying to be political in the least>> I'm just making a point that old fashioned common sense has very little application in these modern, eerie times we're living in. Raking up credit cards to $80,000 +, going to Rip-Mart and buying hundreds of dollars worth of total ridiculous junk that they end up virtually giving away in a garage or yard sale about 2 to 3 years later. Buying extremely expensive clothing for kids that are going to grow out of them within the year they were bought. Claiming they are teaching their kids moral values while backstabbing all of their friends on FACEBOOK and other social media and also teaching their kids how to rip off the system at the same time.

And letting the kids virtually run the entire household. No I'm not exaggerating because I see it all first hand when I visit friends and family. Displaying those type of distorted and warped values to their kids while their lives reflect the complete opposite. I could go on but I'm sure you all get the drift. As the old boxing promoter DON KING used to say "Hallelujah Baby!!! Only In America!!!" How true, how true :rolleyes:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:59 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:20 pm

Well Joe, no matter what caused the crash, wearing a seat belt increases a person's chances of surviving it. To me, that's just common sense which, as you pointed out, is no longer common. I also think the causes are a bit more nuanced here in SC. Am sure cell phone usage plays a role in some of them, but most fatal crashes here involve several other "risk multipliers". Alcohol is the most obvious and is a factor in many fatal accidents as are young and inexperienced drivers. Am sure drugs are a factor in some of them as well. Beyond that, South Carolina's method of taxing motor vehicles annually as "personal property" based on their estimated value encourages folks to drive older vehicles and the lack of state mandated annual safety inspections means a fair percentage of them will be poorly maintained.

I have one neighbor who would never think of leaving the house without a handgun on his hip, but can't be bothered to use his seat belt half the time. To me, that's dumb. Pretty sure that, unless you're a drug dealer, you have a much greater chance of being the victim of an idiot in a car than being the victim of a bad guy with a gun.
Yeah Paul you're just driving home my opening post ;) . I'm not a huge supporter of mandatory seat belt use ( except for kids) because I've had two friends that were indeed injured by the seatbelts themselves. Oh I wear mine 100% of the time whether I'm driving or riding in friend's car and you're probably right that they are better than nothing. I've been fortunate and have never had to put one to the test or ever had an air bag deployed either for that matter. It's like my guns and knives and machetes I keep here at the home for my defense>> I've never yet had to use any of that to protect me in my home>> but all of those tools are there just in case I would need them. But your comparison of a guy who is paranoid about the criminal element while his chances of dying in a car are at least 200 to 300 times more likely than running into a criminal like I did about 8 years ago. And thank GOD above I had a weapon on me at that time which twarted the robbery/attack >> even considering that criminal act happened to me about 8 years ago the likelihood of getting into a horrific car accident is much higher than being accosted by a street criminal.
Now I don't have any tatoos. Have nothing against anyone that has tatoos or anybody who wants one for that matter. Have many friends and family that have them but yet I choose not to have one for personal reasons. But it behooves me that people spend hundreds and in some cases thousands of dollars inking up their bodies when they have very important bills to pay and very serious needs for their households that go neglected. Have had 3 good friends who have begged me to go to KC Chiefs games with them and spend somewhere of about $300 to $500 to go to one of those games with them when in a couple of cases these guys spent their rent/mortgage or utility money just to go to that one football game when they could have seen it free at home on their TV.
Again "common sense" is soon going to be seen in the "OBITUARY" column.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'll chime in on the cars in floodwaters bit:

Distracted driving is certainly a big threat on the roads these days, but along with the wider trend away from trades work, broad knowledge of how an automobile works is not widespread. I'd argue that someone who doesn't understand the threat that water poses to an engine OR the fact that door seals aren't waterproof will risk a lot more than they should.

Technological literacy needs to go in both directions - past and future. It's not enough to know how to set up a machine learning system without learning how an internal combustion engine works, and it's not enough to know how to change a tire without learning the basics of wifi and networking. We have to have a working understanding of ALL technology, as much as possible. We depend on ALL of it, whether we know it or not.

There's a lot of things in the world today that are hard to grasp intuitively. Nevertheless, our choice is either to abandon progress and say 'this is good enough' or keep stretching our minds to adapt.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well "Curly" those are some interesting points you bring to the table. Seeing that you are from the Eastern part of the USA I find that most interesting because I've heard that the ANTI-Cell Phone Laws are much stricter out there than they are here in the midwest part of the USA. I've also heard that sunny California has some very harsh Anti-Cell Phone laws as well. But in spite of that I've heard that most people violate the laws with impunity most of the time and could care less even if they get caught. Which leads me to believe deeper in my point of those electronic devices having some sort of mind control aspects to them. Because it seems as though really intelligent and otherwise decent, upstanding people violate those laws and don't seem to care in the least>> but that isn't how they usually handle other aspects of their lives. It's as though they are being led by an ultra-evil "Pied Piper" and have no resistance to that entity at all :( .

Again total apathetic disregard for any common sense in their cell phone usage>> or I should say their total cellphone addiction :( Common Sense??? that concept and cell phones can't be said in the same sentence :o
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

A most interesting article I just found this morning that coincides with this subject matter. Go to >> https://survivalblog.science.blog/2019/ ... real-world << It's a very concise and accurate article that everyone should read. It more than confirms much of what I've believed for the past 5 years or so. People are literally becoming cyborgs right in front of our very eyes :(
James Y

Post by James Y »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:56 pm
JD, Deacon, and others: The other thing answer to the original question is this: In general, with some exceptions, most people want mercy and grace towards them and their friends/allies/people they like, and, law/justice/judgement on those they do not like and who do not share their views. Without going against the forum rules about certain topics that can lead to heated debate and argument, look at it like this: The same woman who demands the right to do what she wants with her body will turn around and want your right to carry a folding lock blade knife, or, a semi-automatic pistol, for personal protection, banned and taken away from you. That is a "microcosm" of the bigger picture. This is called relativism in a sense.

This attitude is prevalent world wide and has been a part of mankind for a very long time.

Here is a real-life example of the above, as well as the example I already used:

One time I went to a movie theater to watch a newly released feature film. Sitting about two or three rows behind me, all throughout the entire movie, was a very loud and obnoxious person who kept making loud remarks as the movie progressed. A few people told him to keep quiet but he didn't, and to my surprise, no security guard arrived. Most people, including myself, most likely felt it was not worth it to walk over and say something because the person could have gotten violent. Anyhow, when the movie ended, said individual was accidentally bumped into by another movie-goer; and made a big stink about it, leaving the theater.
Those are some great points you've brought up, SEF. It's like a friend of mine once said: "Everybody wants freedom of speech, as long as it agrees with their own viewpoints." But I do feel that common sense should also apply there also. It's wrong to attack others for their race, religion (or lack of religion), etc. There needs to be basic human respect for others, regardless of what someone WANTS to say.

As far as the people in the movie theater, I've seen that one time with a couple letting their kids laugh, talk, cuss and run around the theater chasing each other. The kids in question were not little kids, but looked around 10 or 11. The couple sat there stoic, seemingly oblivious. Finally, after about 45 minutes, one of a couple of guys who looked like outlaw bikers who were sitting directly behind the couple bellowed, "HEY! SIT YOUR ___ DOWN AND SHUT THE ____ UP!!!!" The couple sitting there didn't even flinch, much less turn around, reply, or tell their kids to shut up. But the kids did quiet down and took their seats...for about 15 minutes. Then they got up again doing the same thing, and eventually drifted out of the theater (it was a multi-plex) and didn't return until the movie was over.

A high percentage of the population has varying degrees of narcissism. In their view, the world revolves around them.

The following is a hot-button topic, but has everything to do with common sense. If a cop stops you and you feel you're in the right and haven't done anything wrong, DO NOT argue, fight with, or resist the police in any way. Period. You see this *all the time* now. Someone physically resists arrest and the cop shoots them, restrains them with a choke hold, or otherwise injures them.

First off, while there are certainly bad cops out there, IMO the majority are not, but theirs is a very dangerous profession. Try to see things from their perspective. For the bad cops, resistance gives them an excuse. To the good (or at least decent) cops, who I believe are the overwhelming majority, resistance and fighting with them presents a very real danger to their safety and even the public's safety. If they're in the wrong, be calm and cooperative about it and take your argument to court. You will not win by cursing at them, struggling against them, assaulting them, attempting to flee, or trying to grab their gun or taser. If you do any of those things, your cry of victim hood has absolutely no validity, in spite of the popular opinion nowadays.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jim you've hit that nail directly on the head>> because there truly are narcissistic people who truly think that the sun rises in the east for the sole purpose of shedding light on them>> and them only. They don't give a flying crap if they run a red light and T-Bone a van with an entire family in it. Their phone call and their text message is far more important than anything else in this world>> so they think. Coming back from the city today we had two really close calls with cell phone junkies who were totally oblivious of anything around them.

It's going to get so dangerous that car insurance ( especially commercial) is going to slowly become cost prohibitive. My insurance has more than doubled in five years with no tickets, no accidents and I just turned 65 for crying out loud. I haven't even had any kind of traffic ticket since 1992 and I won that one in court. But yet my vehicle insurance just keeps going skyward. How anyone with a dinged up driving record is affording even liability insurance is beyond me. >> and it's all because of this massive epidemic of cell phone addiction. Which makes this so-called, media contrived opioid crisis truly a drop in the bucket by comparison.

I'm doubtful if even 30% of the population still has any true blue common sense. Back in the days of Moses they worshiped a "Golden Calf" >> now a days these cell phones are the new "Golden Calf". Nothing new under the sun in that sense. But common sense is truly near complete extinction. It's been on the endangered species list for a long time now.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:04 am
And I'm in no way trying to be political in the least>> I'm just making a point that old fashioned common sense has very little application in these modern, eerie times we're living in. Raking up credit cards to $80,000 +, going to Rip-Mart and buying hundreds of dollars worth of total ridiculous junk that they end up virtually giving away in a garage or yard sale about 2 to 3 years later. Buying extremely expensive clothing for kids that are going to grow out of them within the year they were bought. Claiming they are teaching their kids moral values while backstabbing all of their friends on FACEBOOK and other social media and also teaching their kids how to rip off the system at the same time.
All too true.. When we got married 45 years ago, we were not poor, but nowhere near rich. I'd grab every overtime shift possible, we grew our own fruit and veg (our back yard was huge, si we had a good sized garden plot) The occasional deer courtesy of an old Lee Enfield helped (we had a neighbour who was a butcher, he took a share of the meat as a return for dressing it out). There was always food on the table, and we were warm and dry in our handy mans spedial of a first house. The kids were brought up to be polite and respectful.
Over a 35 year career with the rialroad we got to earning a decent salary, but the lessons learned in having to be careful and not waste stayed on..
I don;t have a cell phone (cant see the need for it), we drive a base model car (Hyundai Accent, no frills, juts a decent little car that gets us around just fine. Good winter tires in the winter - common sense up here. As far as debt, we pay off our credit cards every month. and for debt load, We have a total debt of about $8000 on our line of credit (we had a condo special assessment) and we pay that down every month. We are on a fixed income (railroad pension, myCanada pension and its Old Age Supplement, and my wife gets Canada pension and will be getting the OAS starting in a few months. We can income split for our income taxes which helps a lot..(I can afford the occasional Spyderco, :) )

Too many folks just spend way too much, and have no idea that the banks pretty much own them at that point..

Don't get me started on the whole phone.social media addiction... that will put my blood pressure up way too much..

Cheers
Harold
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That's an extremely interesting piece of feedback "FlashHarry" :) I see you're up in the Alberta province in Canada>> how long is the growing season up there? I would think that in a Canadian province there would be all kinds of fish and wild game you guys can feast on about all year round. I wish I could afford to live in your Province or British Columbia. I've really enjoyed Canada the times I went there>> especially in the summertime.> which is the only time I ever visited up there. A good friend of mine hunts in the Manitoba province and he comes back with something every time he goes hunting up there.

Speaking of cell phones>> I bet up there the land lines are probably still high in usage. Only about 1 out of every four of my friends still have a land line here. IT truly sounds like you've been taught common sense. My guess is your parents must have been out of the World War II generation as mine were. That generation defined common sense. I would probably still have a cell phone just for basic important calls and emergency calls. I think last month I only used about 400 minutes on mine for the entire month. But I only use it for a phone and nothing else.

Your comments are very inspirational FLASHHARRY :)
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Well. when we started out we lived in Quebec, (we were both born there) further south (Vermont was the closest state to us) so we had a better growing season than out here (I have seen it snow in August0(been transferred twice with the rail, once from Montreal to Toronto, then out here to Calgary (and 10 years after that move I was offered early retirement, having been with the rail for 35 years..) We still have a landline as our phone service. and old Northern Telecom wall phone in the kitchen. As for parents, I was raised by my grandparents, my father having died when I was 5 (and my mother ran off with a sailor - leaving me behind.) Grandad was an old school Lancashireman, came over after WWI, was a farrier corporal in the British Army in WWI...
Old school, hard worker, strict, but fair. Honest as the day was long. Example of his character - he had smoked since he was 12 or so, at about 75, there came a day when the price of smokes went up by $.02 a pack.. He said in a thick Lancashire accent "Aye lad.. too much brass" and quit cold turkey, never to smoke again.
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

flasharry wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:57 pm
Well. when we started out we lived in Quebec, (we were both born there) further south (Vermont was the closest state to us) so we had a better growing season than out here (I have seen it snow in August0(been transferred twice with the rail, once from Montreal to Toronto, then out here to Calgary (and 10 years after that move I was offered early retirement, having been with the rail for 35 years..) We still have a landline as our phone service. and old Northern Telecom wall phone in the kitchen. As for parents, I was raised by my grandparents, my father having died when I was 5 (and my mother ran off with a sailor - leaving me behind.) Grandad was an old school Lancashireman, came over after WWI, was a farrier corporal in the British Army in WWI...
Old school, hard worker, strict, but fair. Honest as the day was long. Example of his character - he had smoked since he was 12 or so, at about 75, there came a day when the price of smokes went up by $.02 a pack.. He said in a thick Lancashire accent "Aye lad.. too much brass" and quit cold turkey, never to smoke again.
I can identify with you about your granddad quiting smoking cold turkey. My dad did the exact same thing. He put a pack of Lucky Strikes without the filters on top of the TV set in the living room when I was about six and talked to that pack of cigarettes every day. He would tell them that they had no control over him but he had control over them. Three months went by and he finally threw away that pack of Lucky Strikes and told my mother that he no longer craved them anymore. The reason he quit was because they went up in price .05 cents a pack. He said that they would bankrupt him in his old age. He didn't do it for his health at all just the money aspect and that was in the very early 1960s. You just don't see people with that type of determination anymore like your granddad and my own father.

Which leads me back to the title of this thread>> concerning common sense. Your granddad and my dad both had true common sense and character. Most of the people here on the North American shelf are so soft it's pathetic. And I'm just a bit too soft my own self but I'm trying to brace myself mentally for what might just come in just a short time away. Also you just don't find many people with that kind of integrity anymore either.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:43 am
Well "Curly" those are some interesting points you bring to the table. Seeing that you are from the Eastern part of the USA I find that most interesting because I've heard that the ANTI-Cell Phone Laws are much stricter out there than they are here in the midwest part of the USA. I've also heard that sunny California has some very harsh Anti-Cell Phone laws as well. But in spite of that I've heard that most people violate the laws with impunity most of the time and could care less even if they get caught. Which leads me to believe deeper in my point of those electronic devices having some sort of mind control aspects to them. Because it seems as though really intelligent and otherwise decent, upstanding people violate those laws and don't seem to care in the least>> but that isn't how they usually handle other aspects of their lives. It's as though they are being led by an ultra-evil "Pied Piper" and have no resistance to that entity at all :( .

Again total apathetic disregard for any common sense in their cell phone usage>> or I should say their total cellphone addiction :( Common Sense??? that concept and cell phones can't be said in the same sentence :o
regarding the 'violate with impunity' thing on cell phone usage in cars:

MP3 music filesharing was and is illegal, but there's hardly a person under a certain age who hasn't participated in it. Despite being illegal, it killed the existing record industry business model and eventually created the streaming services we now use (and pay for). As Prohibition also showed us, laws passed by the government require the general consent of the governed or they'll be widely ignored or worked around.

I'm curious if one of the big pushes towards self-driving cars will be the convenience factor of being driven to your destination while being able to safely use your phone.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
James Y

Post by James Y »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:52 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:43 am
I'm curious if one of the big pushes towards self-driving cars will be the convenience factor of being driven to your destination while being able to safely use your phone.
If it is, then we're not there yet with the current technology. At least one person has already been killed by a self-driving car:

https://youtu.be/ufNNuafuU7M

Jim

*Edited for clarity of a sentence.