Common Sense: Nearing Extinction Unfortunately

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Common Sense: Nearing Extinction Unfortunately

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

JD Spydo and everyone, this directly relates to your topic. When I first read this I thought it was some joke or fake article but look it up for yourself. Supposedly, according to doctors, people are growing spikes in the back of their heads as a result of extended smart phone use!

https://www.newsweek.com/humans-have-st ... ch-1443757

https://www.livescience.com/65711-human ... pikes.html
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:47 pm
JD Spydo and everyone, this directly relates to your topic. When I first read this I thought it was some joke or fake article but look it up for yourself. Supposedly, according to doctors, people are growing spikes in the back of their heads as a result of extended smart phone use!

Hahahahahaha.... NOT ME. I don't use a cell phone, but for very rarely.

It's going to be funny looking at all of you with bony spikes on your heads! :D
Last edited by Naperville on Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:03 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Hahahahahaha.... NOT ME. I don't use a call phone, but for very rarely.

Not me, Man! :D I don't even own a smart phone. The only cell phone I have is 14 years old; it was my second-ever cell phone. It's a flip phone that I rarely use. I carry it turned off, and mainly keep it for the rare convenience call or for emergencies.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:37 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:03 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Hahahahahaha.... NOT ME. I don't use a call phone, but for very rarely.

Not me, Man! :D I don't even own a smart phone. The only cell phone I have is 14 years old; it was my second-ever cell phone. It's a flip phone that I rarely use. I carry it turned off, and mainly keep it for the rare convenience call or for emergencies.

Jim

I don't have one either, I have a flip phone and it's good enough, I don't bother texting etc so it's not a big deal to me.

But then I am also older like some of you others at 54 so.
SpyderEdgeForever

This is not to put anyone down on here who has piercings but I do have a sincere question for Mr. Ankerson and others: Regarding common sense, why do so many modern men and women get piercings as in metal and other things through their faces, noses, eyes, ears, and other body parts, going beyond a mere set of earrings like the "old days"? Is it a form of rebellion, or, it makes them feel good, or they are trying to make a fashion statement or what is the motivation behind it?

I saw a man with steel rods piercing through his cheeks and a woman with huge steel nipple rings that were so prominent you could see them poking through her shirt. I am not hating on anyone. I just want to know: Why and what purpose does this serve for them?
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

I don't have one either, I have a flip phone and it's good enough, I don't bother texting etc so it's not a big deal to me.
But then I am also older like some of you others at 54 so.

yeah.. we have a flip phone that is basically a "take it in the car in case there's an emergency"
And yeah, I'm in the "older" category at 70...
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:32 pm
This is not to put anyone down on here who has piercings but I do have a sincere question for Mr. Ankerson and others: Regarding common sense, why do so many modern men and women get piercings as in metal and other things through their faces, noses, eyes, ears, and other body parts, going beyond a mere set of earrings like the "old days"? Is it a form of rebellion, or, it makes them feel good, or they are trying to make a fashion statement or what is the motivation behind it?

I saw a man with steel rods piercing through his cheeks and a woman with huge steel nipple rings that were so prominent you could see them poking through her shirt. I am not hating on anyone. I just want to know: Why and what purpose does this serve for them?

Stupidity maybe?

Can't think of any other reason.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:32 pm

SEF, I think these people are searching and looking for something, anything, that will guide them. They have a weak compass. They need to return to the classics and the art world before 1970 and see what came before them so that they understand what they are capable of doing.

I see the same thing in sexuality. They are misunderstanding nature. There is what 7 billion people in the world, and a wide range of men and women that should appeal to them. Instead they turn inward, as if they fear understanding their own sexuality and the opposite sex.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
SpyderEdgeForever

I believe you're right Naperville.

Do you agree that people tattooing and piercing pets is very wrong? If someone wants to do that to themselves, that is their choice. But to do it to a child or an animal is disgusting.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:40 am

Do you agree that people tattooing and piercing pets is very wrong? If someone wants to do that to themselves, that is their choice. But to do it to a child or an animal is disgusting.

I think Society is going down the drain in general.

It seems to be getting worse as the years pass when it should be actually improving. ;)
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've personally never understood the whole appeal of body piercings.

As far as tattoos go, working as a massage therapist, a LOT of my clients have tats; some big, some small. Whatever has meaning for them, I suppose. I have no stake in other people having tats one way or another. I simply have no interest in it myself. Never have, never will. Tattoos at one time may have been seen as unique, but I think I'll be unique and NOT have one.

What really matters to me is if a person is genuinely a good person or not. Not their race, sexual orientation, religion (or lack of), political stance, or whatever. If you can respect me and who I am, I can respect you. If we can get along, all the better. If the only people I can get along with and accept are people who mostly look, think and act 100% like me, then I'm living in a bubble. If I can get along with someone, even though we don't see eye to eye on certain issues, and vice versa for them, then I can at least listen to other viewpoints and perhaps grow in unexpected ways (and vice versa). That isn't accomplished by getting in someone's face and telling them they're wrong and you're right. That approach has NEVER changed anybody's viewpoints, which seems to be lost on a high percentage of people.

While the world does seem to be getting worse and worse, believe it or not, some things have been improving. Ignorance seems to be growing, when in fact it was always there, just a little more hidden beneath the surface. But there is certainly more and more positive awareness, and there are still many good people who unselfishly do good for others. They don't get the world's attention like the negative people do, but they exist. When it seems bleak and everything looks like doom and gloom, the people who inspire positively are the ones I choose to inspire me to keep going. I constantly have to remind myself of this.

Jim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

James Y wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:40 am

As far as tattoos go, working as a massage therapist, a LOT of my clients have tats; some big, some small. Whatever has meaning for them, I suppose. I have no stake in other people having tats one way or another. I simply have no interest in it myself. Never have, never will. Tattoos at one time may have been seen as unique, but I think I'll be unique and NOT have one.

What really matters to me is if a person is genuinely a good person or not. Not their race, sexual orientation, religion (or lack of), political stance, or whatever. If you can respect me and who I am, I can respect you. If we can get along, all the better. If the only people I can get along with and accept are people who mostly look, think and act 100% like me, then I'm living in a bubble. If I can get along with someone, even though we don't see eye to eye on certain issues, and vice versa for them, then I can at least listen to other viewpoints and perhaps grow in unexpected ways (and vice versa). That isn't accomplished by getting in someone's face and telling them they're wrong and you're right. That approach has NEVER changed anybody's viewpoints, which seems to be lost on a high percentage of people.

While the world does seem to be getting worse and worse, believe it or not, some things have been improving. Ignorance seems to be growing, when in fact it was always there, just a little more hidden beneath the surface. But there is certainly more and more positive awareness, and there are still many good people who unselfishly do good for others. They don't get the world's attention like the negative people do, but they exist. When it seems bleak and everything looks like doom and gloom, the people who inspire positively are the ones I choose to inspire me to keep going. I constantly have to remind myself of this.

Jim
Very nicely put.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:40 am

Of course, it should be illegal to tattoo or pierce a pet. I did not know people were doing that.

I went to burning man around 2001. Let me just say that there are a lot of demented people out there.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:

Jim

Personally I don't care what people do and or believe in as long as it doesn't effect me personally. ;)

I don't push my beliefs on anyone else or go around preaching etc to others and I do fully expect the same out of others.

I take the watch your own yard approach, as long as they don't come into my yard that's fine, but once they do then there will be problems.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree Jim! So much of the things you are talking about wouldn't exist if people just used a little consideration for others. I don't know how things got to this point, but I sure miss how it used to be!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:

Jim
It's interesting as far as tatoos and body piercings go. As far as the "fad aspect" of tatoos and piercings it seems as though it's been about the past 20 to 25 years or so that the popularity of them have taken off. Like yourself Jim I have zero interest in tatoos or piercings. But on the other hand I've always been a person that vehemently defends a person's personal liberties. Which is what makes the USA the great country it is. Personally I've got hundreds of other things I'd rather spend my money on. But I'm sure that there are many self righteous people who think my knife collecting and other interests are total rubbish. Oh well it's like the old Ricky Nelson song says "You Can't Please Everyone, You've Got To Please Yourself". What many of us think of as trash there are other people who view it as treasure.

But do consider that if an employer doesn't want to hire you based on tatoos or piercings that they also have that liberty too IMO. It's like everything else you have to use common sense about it. And as this thread indicates the concept we know as "common sense" is truly dying a slow death. I see it happening is many aspects of daily life. You can see what people tend to worship or idolize as an indicator of the overall direction that western civilization is heading in. And like it or not the current condition of "Western Civilization" is the proof positive that COMMON SENSE is all but given up the ghost>> but it's overall demise may be sooner than you all think. We may be one war away from the total annihilation of civilization as we know it. And it can mostly be attributed to the lack of Common Sense and respect. Both are dwindling at a rapid rate unfortunately>> go drive a car on any of the major highways and you'll the see the symptoms first hand :( No respect, no consideration and no COMMON SENSE what so ever. But you also see it in grocery stores, shopping malls and even at the Post Office. GOD help us :(
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

God help us all indeed....
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
James Y

Post by James Y »

bearrowland wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:44 pm
I agree Jim! So much of the things you are talking about wouldn't exist if people just used a little consideration for others. I don't know how things got to this point, but I sure miss how it used to be!!
So true, bearrowland.

Unfortunately, narcissism and greed/the quest for power over others is what's driving the world's woes. It is said that about 1% of the population are psychopaths and 4% are sociopaths. I don't know how the 'experts' arrived at those numbers, but IMO the percentages are much higher than that. And an extremely high percentage of people in power/influential positions are clearly psycho/sociopathic, such as many CEOs, etc. In fact, those qualities are actually sought after in certain positions like that, so things can be accomplished ruthlessly, 'efficitently' and without hesitation or remorse. Also unfortunate is that many such people tend to be charismatic, and are able to influence a good percentage of the population. I'm not going to get political here, and it's not even limited to politics, anyway.

IMO, the solution to our woes is actually quite simple. Respect others as you would like to be respected, even if our viewpoints differ on some things. Unfortunately, enough of the population cannot or will not see it that way, and "need" to take advantage of others and make things difficult.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:47 am
James Y wrote:

Jim
It's interesting as far as tatoos and body piercings go. As far as the "fad aspect" of tatoos and piercings it seems as though it's been about the past 20 to 25 years or so that the popularity of them have taken off. Like yourself Jim I have zero interest in tatoos or piercings. But on the other hand I've always been a person that vehemently defends a person's personal liberties. Which is what makes the USA the great country it is. Personally I've got hundreds of other things I'd rather spend my money on. But I'm sure that there are many self righteous people who think my knife collecting and other interests are total rubbish. Oh well it's like the old Ricky Nelson song says "You Can't Please Everyone, You've Got To Please Yourself". What many of us think of as trash there are other people who view it as treasure.

But do consider that if an employer doesn't want to hire you based on tatoos or piercings that they also have that liberty too IMO. It's like everything else you have to use common sense about it. And as this thread indicates the concept we know as "common sense" is truly dying a slow death. I see it happening is many aspects of daily life. You can see what people tend to worship or idolize as an indicator of the overall direction that western civilization is heading in. And like it or not the current condition of "Western Civilization" is the proof positive that COMMON SENSE is all but given up the ghost>> but it's overall demise may be sooner than you all think. We may be one war away from the total annihilation of civilization as we know it. And it can mostly be attributed to the lack of Common Sense and respect. Both are dwindling at a rapid rate unfortunately>> go drive a car on any of the major highways and you'll the see the symptoms first hand :( No respect, no consideration and no COMMON SENSE what so ever. But you also see it in grocery stores, shopping malls and even at the Post Office. GOD help us :(
Joe, that's why I believe that the stated percentages of 1% psychopathic and 4% sociopathic in the population is a very low estimate. A person doesn't have to be a serial killer (or even a killer at all) to be a psycho/sociopath. These people simply do not care AT ALL about anybody else, much less have any consideration for others. It also includes people like the looters who wait u til some disaster and then gleefully pillage nonessential items, even as the world around them is falling apart.

But while acknowledging all the bad that is out there, I choose in my own life to acknowledge that there are also many truly good people out there. I have to. They do exist and they do good for others, often without expecting anything in return. I must see and know this, too, or else "Life just sucks and then you die." I'm doing my best to make whatever little part of my world that I can affect to be as better a place as I can make it. It won't make the news or affect anything at a national or global level, but if everyone did that, think of the possibilities. Am I perfect at it? Heck no. But it's a goal to strive for. Others are certainly doing it and accomplishing positive changes in their own ways, even if only within their own inner circles; but many go far outside of that. Clearly, these people are evolved souls. They may not be the majority of the population, but they're out there, they just don't make the news.

Things do look bleak, but for myself, ONLY seeing the gloom and doom (which is much easier than the opposite) completely destroys my faith in all of humanity; and having suffered from depression in the past, I cannot go back there and will not limit myself to that viewpoint. If enough people keep expecting ONLY the very worst, it will happen. Even if the end of civilization does happen, spending the rest of my life stressing about it accomplishes nothing for me. What if it doesn't happen in this lifetime?

Just like certain people believed that the end of the world was nigh and only the "true believers" would be spirited away in "The Rapture." The expectations of that have occurred several times since at least the 1840s, and it hasn't happened yet. That fraud Harold Camping spouted off about the end was coming in 1994. And when it didn't happen then, he said it would actually happen in 2011 (or whenever it was). Many gullible (meaning, dumb) people divested themselves of their life savings, because since the end was coming, Camping said they wouldn't need it. Guess what? Camping himself was a millionaire who did NOT get rid of any of his money. A man who had worked closely with him stated that, when he told Camping in private that many of his followers had lost everything because they followed his instructions, he said that Camping laughed gleefully like a child and called his followers stupid. When Camping's revised ending also didn't come, he then said it would actually happen a few months later. Fortunately, Camping the sociopath kicked the bucket several years ago, after a wasted lifetime of using his warped version of "religion" to defraud gullible people.

In the same manner as seeing everything through rose-colored glasses can make a person easy to control, so does believing that the entire world is going to **** in a hand basket. IMO, even deeply touching the lives of a few people (or even one person!) in a truly positive way makes a life more meaningful and worth more than the life of someone who gains power over others and uses it only for selfish gain and ego gratification. And it doesn't matter how much money and what expensive suits the latter type of people might wear, or how many people look up to them, such psycho/sociopathic people are lower than scum.

I'm going to paraphrase and add to a famous saying:

Integrity is doing the right thing, by others and by yourself, when nobody else is looking (or will ever know).

Jim