Point and shoot camera

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

Point and shoot camera

Canon
22%
Nikon
11%
Panasonic
No votes
Sony
33%
Other
33%

Total votes: 9

Cao87

Point and shoot camera

Post by Cao87 »

Hi I am looking to get a point and shoot camera. I need something that has a good zoom lens, mega pixels and a view finder
I know there are a lot of models and brands out there but I curious to see what camera you have and if you like it and my budget
Is around $500 .
Naperville

Re: Point and shoot camera

Post by Naperville »

I've had photography courses, and even use to develop my own film back in the day. My family growing up was big on Nikon and Cannon cameras.

About 4 years ago I was looking for the same setup as you speak of but could not find anything that would give me professional results for $500. Maybe things have changed since then, but I ended up spending around $1,000 for a Sony Alpha with a memory card, two lenses and an extra battery pack.

Don't forget to read all the reviews on the cameras you are looking at.

You are also going to want desktop software to look at and manipulate the images. I bought "Capture One Pro" and for the buck it's pretty good.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

What's a good zoom to you? Are you more concerned about telephoto, wide angle, both? How much do you care about low light performance? Do you need fast focusing for sports or wildlife? Do you care about video capability? How much battery life do you want? How big of a P&S are you willing to carry?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I had a Canon SX50HS, the perfect holiday camera when you want to snap pics both near and far. I don't know the latest iteration of the SX-HS series, but my uncle had a SX60HS and it too was brilliant.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I no longer use a point and shoot, but I had a Canon when I did. Now, I simply use the camera on my smartphone. My smartphone even has a scanner so I no longer have to stand by a printer and scan documents to email.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

I think I am looking for something that is fairly portable but I literally started looking yesterday so I don’t know what is out there
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:00 am
Now, I simply use
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

DPReview is my go-to site for photography gear reviews.

I try not to visit, though, because it just causes dissatisfaction despite knowing in my heart of hearts that the gear has relatively little to do with getting really good pictures.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Brand voting is not the way to help you. Don't you have some models preselected for your needs?
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

I already have a canon rebel t6i with I love but I am looking for something that is
More portable like if I want to go out to take pictures, I know you’ll say that I have a
Camera on my phone but sometimes I have trouble seeing the screen if it is sunny out
Anywho all that to say it doesn’t really matter what brand of camera I have
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Sony Alpha did not win best camera under $500 for 2019. Read the reviews and see what you think.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying ... -under-500
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:44 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:00 am
Now, I simply use
Hahaha! That is more like me, for sure!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Cao87 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:42 pm
I already have a canon rebel t6i with I love but I am looking for something that is
More portable like if I want to go out to take pictures, I know you’ll say that I have a
Camera on my phone but sometimes I have trouble seeing the screen if it is sunny out
Anywho all that to say it doesn’t really matter what brand of camera I have
That actually helps a lot. I'm guessing you have the 18-55mm kit lens for it? Do you want an equivalent zoom range in a smaller camera, or a longer zoom range in a smaller camera? If you want equivalent zoom range you could get a Sony a6000 or Canon EOS M50 and that would do the trick without losing any image quality. If you want more zoom in a smaller package, or equal zoom in an even smaller package, you're going to have to go to a smaller sensor and sacrifice image quality. As a Nikon d7100 and Sony a6000 owner, I'd rather have an EOS M50 than the a6000.
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

Thanks for the suggestions but I think I am looking for something that I can put in my pocket
But I am not going to be to be to picky because I just started looking so I think what I want
I don’t know if it exists. Anyways I might be leaning towards canon because I am already used to it .
Sorry for rambling but I looking for something that has longer zoom that is portable
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Cao87 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:00 pm
Hi I am looking to get a point and shoot camera. I need something that has a good zoom lens, mega pixels and a view finder
I know there are a lot of models and brands out there but I curious to see what camera you have and if you like it and my budget
Is around $500 .
Looks at the Sony's they are excellent and pretty simple for that.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Cao87 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:15 am
Thanks for the suggestions but I think I am looking for something that I can put in my pocket
But I am not going to be to be to picky because I just started looking so I think what I want
I don’t know if it exists. Anyways I might be leaning towards canon because I am already used to it .
Sorry for rambling but I looking for something that has longer zoom that is portable
If you want long zoom, pocketable, and a viewfinder your choices are the Sony HX80 and HX99, or the Panasonic ZS series. Maybe a Nikon A1000, or maybe the waterproof, ruggedized, Panasonic TS7, if you're going to carry in a cargo pocket or jacket pocket. The two Sony's have the best viewfinders. The Sony RX100 III has a lens that covers the same equivalent focal lengths as your T6i 18-55 kit lens, but the RX100 III has a decent sized 1" sensor, and it has probably the best auto focus you'll get on a pocketable camera. The RX100 III is still sold new, even though they just released RX100 VI. The III was first version with the pop up EVF. At $650 new, you may have to buy a used one from a reputable dealer like B&H or Roberts to get one in your price range.
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

Jut wondering if anyone has the canon PowerShot camera
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Cao87 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:05 am
Jut wondering if anyone has the canon PowerShot camera
Which one? PowerShot is Canon's name for all of their P&S cameras. There's also not a Canon P&S that's pocket sized and has a viewfinder.
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

Thanks I see that now and I realize now from doing a little bit of research that I think Sony might be the only one with view finder
But I don’t really need a view finder but it would be nice to have that feature
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

Does anyone have the Sony DSCHX99 point and shoot camera