Indian vs Swedish-made "Mora Knife": What do you think of these?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Indian vs Swedish-made "Mora Knife": What do you think of these?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am going to post links to two different knives. The original made by Karesuando of Sweden, and, the Indian-made copy-like version.
I want you to look them over closely, and tell me what you believe a prospective knife purchaser should get in terms of one or the other.

The Swedish made one:

https://www.discountcutlery.net/KAR3509 ... 82580.html

The Indian-made one:

https://www.atlantacutlery.com/windlass ... lade-knife

Read the descriptions carefully. The Swedish one uses Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel. The Indian one uses X46Cr13 stainless steel. Both have wood handles with bone parts and leather sheaths.

The Indian made one is retailing for the 50-60 dollar range. The Swedish made one is retailing for about a hundred dollars more.

What do you believe the quality differences are? Does the Indian made one seem like it would stand up to outdoor cutting chores and also everyday carry uses or do you think it would break down faster?

Note what they say in the Indian made description:

"

The Windlass Mora knife is heavily influenced by the Swedish knives we fell in love with on a trip to Scandinavia. Simplistic beauty and great performance are hallmarks of their superior function.

Tough X46Cr13 high-grade stainless steel blade and famous Scandinavian bevel for a keen edge. Solid brass guard provides just a bit of protection but doesn't hinder field dressing. The handle is bone and Sissoo, a North Indian hardwood. The subtle contouring is very comfortable and feels like an extension of your hand.

Includes leather belt sheath. Comes in a faux fur lined box. A great all-around knife for any outdoor task. 8" overall, 3 3/4" mirror polished the blade. 52 RC.
"

52 RC hardness for that stainless steel vs a listed hardness that I discovered for Sandvik 12C27 being around 54-61 RC.

Which would you pick?
TomAiello

Re: Indian vs Swedish-made "Mora Knife": What do you think of these?

Post by TomAiello »

X46Cr13 is basically 420 isn't it?

I'd rather have the 12c27.

But honestly, I wouldn't buy either at that price. Just buy a MoraKniv companion for $20.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

X46Cr13 has a tad more carbon and Cr that 12C27 and a lot more manganese and silicone. It would normally perform about the same, I think, though I am not sure. However, I notice that in this case the X46Cr13 is stated to be run at 52 RC. That is soft as butter. It would not hold an edge very well. As to the other knife, there is no way I am ever going to pay that much money for 12C27, which is a 440A class steel. No way.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Karesuando looks fine. It looks like it would compare well with many other Scandinavian knives. It is pricey but 12c27 is a standard stainless steel in most Scandinavian knives.

I think Windlass mostly makes swords. That could explain the low hardness? I definitely would not buy that knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I operate on the principle of "If one thing is half the price of a seemingly similar thing, then there's generally a very good reason for that"

In this case that reason is a blade made of low end steel run at 52 HRC.

Taketh thee thine longest bargepole to said knife and apply it with vigour :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:36 am
I think Windlass mostly makes swords. That could explain the low hardness? I definitely would not buy that knife.
Looks that way.

https://www.windlass.com
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

You are right. That is a soft steel the way they describe it and its best to stick with the Swedish-made Sandvik.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:12 pm
I am going to post links to two different knives. The original made by Karesuando of Sweden, and, the Indian-made copy-like version.
I want you to look them over closely, and tell me what you believe a prospective knife purchaser should get in terms of one or the other.
That Karesuando you mentioned is significantly cheaper on Blade HQ: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Karesuand ... xed--34755

This one is nice too
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Karesuand ... xed--34759
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

IN the past few years I've really gained a healthy respect for Swedish made cutlery. Two of my favorite Survival magazines have said the "Frost Mora" fixed blades are the best quality for the money of any survival type fixed blade on the market. I did some work for a guy who was an explosives expert and he did a lot of work over in Sweden and he is also a knife collector/enthusiast just like I am. He told me even as far back as 8 years ago that the Swedes are getting in the upper tier in steel making.

I've used a few blades with Sandvik steel in them and they were indeed respectable. Frost Mora has a similar reputation as doe Victorinox as far as making a great blade for the price. I truly do think that Swedish steel makers will be competing with some of our favorite steel producers in the near future.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I quite like Sandvik 12C27 for what it is but I wouldn’t buy either knife. :eek:

A Roselli Carpenter (can’t find mine at the moment to photograph) is and excellent Puukko that holds a true zero grind and edge exceptionally well cutting Aussie Hardwood, it’s easy to sharpen to silly sharp and costs under $US90. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:43 am
I quite like Sandvik 12C27 for what it is but I wouldn’t buy either knife. :eek:

A Roselli Carpenter (can’t find mine at the moment to photograph) is and excellent Puukko that holds a true zero grind and edge exceptionally well cutting Aussie Hardwood, it’s easy to sharpen to silly sharp and costs under $US90. :)
OK I plead "ignorant" to Sweden's steel producers other than Sandvik. Now I have used several of Sandvik's outstanding products over the years and I have huge respect for them. Sandvik's replacement saw chain for my dearly beloved STIHL chain saws is about as good as it gets. And the 2 blades I've owned and used with their blade steel were great. But other than a few basic steel products I know very little about Sweden's steel producers overall.

I guess my question is>> Who else other than Sandvik is well known for steel products in Sweden? Also how do the Swedes rank with the German's and Belgium steel producers? Or the USA either for that matter in quality steel production??
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Helle has their own laminate stainless formula, that's quite good and Bohler Uddeholm produces much of their steel in Sweden. Frosts, Eriksson (and one other I think?) consolidated into "Mora", IIRC they all used Sandvik for their stainless offerings.

The Karesuando knives are run a bit softer than any other Nordic maker with the exception of Martinni, so while they sharpen easily, they also tend to roll edges easier and definitely don't hold an edge as well as the other major makers. I made several Scandi style knives with Karesuando blades. I much prefer the Helle blades and though I don't like the patterns as well the Brusletto blades have excellent steel and HT.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...