Would Fixed Blade H1 Knife stop Salt Water Crocodile?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: Would Fixed Blade H1 Knife stop Salt Water Crocodile?

Post by JD Spydo »

Daveho wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:55 pm
Jaguars have recently been observed deliberately hunting caiman crocodile and in water no less.
That is true I just saw a video of that happening not too long ago. And the caiman that the Jag had in his mouth was pretty good sized too. They said in that show that Jaguars had a tremendous jaw pressure and maybe more than any other cat.

It's really rare to see a Jaguar in the daytime I've been told because they are mainly nocturnal. It's interesting that Jaguars and Puma ( Mountain Lions) live in the same areas at times.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:05 pm
Thank you all, wow, these are some great answers you gave.

Would you say that the bottom line issue with human beings is that we humans have our main strength in our brain power and the ability to adapt to the enviroment, and, create tools such as knives, guns, and steel, and that is our main survival power over these creatures?
I would say the main strength would be knowledge, situational awareness, and avoiding this all together if possible. It's one thing to have a gun drawn and pointed at an animal. It's another thing entirely to be snatched by an animal who's size and weight are way above your own. Especially when it's unexpected. Now you have to react instead of act.

Our minds definitely give us advantages that we don't have physically over many species. An 800lb tiger can do what ever it wants to an unarmed person but man has hunted them to near extinction and cages them up at will. Man also hunted mammoths and whales. Not with sheer strength but with numbers and intellect.
James Y

Post by James Y »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:05 pm
Thank you all, wow, these are some great answers you gave.

Would you say that the bottom line issue with human beings is that we humans have our main strength in our brain power and the ability to adapt to the enviroment, and, create tools such as knives, guns, and steel, and that is our main survival power over these creatures?

James, I brought up this type of discussion with a "futurist" who studies all sorts of technology and here was his speculation: I would like your view on it: He agreed about the human mind being man's greatest strength. He told me his opinion is that once technology advances to the point where man can routinely and cheaply and easilly re-engineer the natural world to his liking, then we can have the "best of both worlds": People can have the increased brain power and capacity, and, the physical prowess of the animal kingdom. He predicts human beings will eventually become like a combination of the being "Q" on Star Trek (a powerful being who can directly control energy and matter with his mind), and Wolverine from "X Men".

Ofcourse, as you know very well, for "every measure there is a counter measure" and unless the core nature of man were to be changed, then there would be some trade off or cost. Right?
I actually hope the idea of man re-engineering the world to his liking and giving himself the physical prowess of wild animals never happens. I can only see such technology as a tool for abuse, and certainly not for mankind as a whole, but *only for a select few*. It would be kept strictly top secret and most likely only used in limited elite military-type operations. The idea that such technology, even if it existed and were proved medically safe, would be made available to mankind as a whole, i.e., anybody who wants to be "upgraded", is a fantasy. And even if it did exist, I highly doubt it would be without negative side-effects on physical and mental health. You would be a human GMO. Would you really want that?

Man's mind over the animals is a great strength, but also a great problem. Only man willingly puts entire species on the brink of extinction (and beyond) out of pure greed (look what's happening to the wild African rhinos and elephants at the hands of poachers). IMO, it is not man's pure intellect that is his greatest asset, but intellect coupled with ethical and unselfish behavior.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Humans have managed to kill these kinds of animals because we learn from our mistakes and have adapted to use tools. The first guy who tried to kill a croc with his flint knapped knife got ate alive, so the next guy figured out how to make a spear to stab the croc from a safer distance...etc etc. Intelligence, opposable thumbs and tools are the advantages we have and they seem to be working. Oh, and the fact that we have zero harmony with the environment and will reproduce beyond what our local ecosystem can support because we can just ship food in from somewhere else. I guess if lions could shop at Walmart for their food they would probably reproduce more and have more successful litters and then we might be in trouble.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:16 am
TomAiello wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:47 am
You're talking about a predator that weighs over a thousand pounds. And eats sharks. I don't think any knife is going to stop it. Unless it's a light saber.
Lol, exactly Tom.
Just pure devastating power. You wouldnt knew what hit ya.
Heck, even if you saw it coming, just the pure force alone, you couldn't do anything I would imagine. Just too much brute power to even comprehend.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

demoncase wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:43 pm
MacLaren wrote:
TomAiello wrote:
You're talking about a predator that weighs over a thousand pounds. And eats sharks. I don't think any knife is going to stop it. Unless it's a light saber.
Lol, exactly Tom.
Heck, even if you saw it coming, just the pure force alone, you couldn't do anything I would imagine. Just too much brute power to even comprehend.
Lol, there ya go :D
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

demoncase wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:43 pm
MacLaren wrote:
TomAiello wrote:
Lol, exactly Tom.
Well yes.. but by then tyranids, Necrons and orks are going to be more of an issue... not to mention chaos.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Like these guys are saying>> even a relatively small Salt Water Crocodile ( 6 to 8 feet in length) or slightly smaller is more than about any human being could take on or defend against. The power I've seen demonstrated from these animals in several nature documentaries over the years has convinced me that they are truly one of the 5 most deadly animals on the planet. For even the biggest, baddest human to take on a Salty would be similar to an 8 year old kid trying to challenge Mike Tyson>> and it's probably not even that close :rolleyes:

Like I said earlier even with the use of firearms I would only use the most powerful of the bunch to take on a Salty. For a rifle I wouldn't want anything smaller than a .338 Weatherby or a 10 or 12 gauge shotgun with 00 shot or deer slugs>> and to get a head shot at that. Any knife or machete I think would only annoy and anger the animal to make him that much more dangerous. Forget it SEF>> And I say that as a dear friend too ;)