Glock 17, Austrian gun: How good is it, asks an Austrian who has no clue about guns..

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
benben

Re: Glock 17, Austrian gun: How good is it, asks an Austrian who has no clue about guns..

Post by benben »

Glock pistols are definitely not pretty, but they work!! I still have my old Gen 1 model 17, no telling how many thousands of rounds from every ammo manufacturer imaginable.......it just works! When anyone asks me about buying and owning one pistol, I just have to recommend a Glock 19, it does everything well, it's concealable, high capacity, points very easily, parts are easy to get, the only upgrade needed is true metal night sights, and that's not a must!

I love both of my 17's, but if I were only going to own one Glock, it'd be a model 19!

I've been on a HK kick lately, I love my Glocks but I'm quickly turning into a Heckler & Koch fanboy, I've fallen in love with their light LEM trigger!
BLUETYPEII

Re: Glock 17, Austrian gun: How good is it, asks an Austrian who has no clue about guns..

Post by BLUETYPEII »

OK maybe this will put Glocks quality in perspective for you. I was talking to a SWAT team member here in the US that is also a gun dealer; he has seen what I’m about to tell you. If you field strip lets say five Glock 17s and put all the parts in one box you can assemble 5 fully functioning pistols mixing and matching all the parts together.. If you attempt this with any other brand of pistol other than Glock my understanding is you will get five pistols that will not function at all. I think this really speaks to Glocks reliability and build quality I just wish they didn’t have the stupid trigger safety because I can’t stand it and I will not own a Glock because of it. I prefer my pistols without any kind of safety.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:59 pm
OK maybe this will put Glocks quality in perspective for you. I was talking to a SWAT team member here in the US that is also a gun dealer; he has seen what I’m about to tell you. If you field strip lets say five Glock 17s and put all the parts in one box you can assemble 5 fully functioning pistols mixing and matching all the parts together.. If you attempt this with any other brand of pistol other than Glock my understanding is you will get five pistols that will not function at all. I think this really speaks to Glocks reliability and build quality I just wish they didn’t have the stupid trigger safety because I can’t stand it and I will not own a Glock because of it. I prefer my pistols without any kind of safety.
Impressive! Thanks!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Hello Wartstein my friend and other people here: Do you think Glock would ever consider adding a line of locking folding knives to their catalog or not likely?
Crux

Post by Crux »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
I do not believe that for a second and guarantee this is not true in the slightest. Most of the higher end pistols are extremely precision instruments that meet very strict tolerances. Sounds like Benchmade saying if you took 5 Para 3s apart and mixed them they would never work again. That guy does not know what he's talking about in the slightest.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Crux

Post by Crux »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:22 pm
Hello Wartstein my friend and other people here: Do you think Glock would ever consider adding a line of locking folding knives to their catalog or not likely?
They have enough on their hands keeping their pistols relevant in this age of computer designed firearms. Sure Glocks were and still are good pistols and certainly historically changed the entire pistol market, but in today's market no one considers them them as anymore than in the top 10. THAT's not bad but sorry to say they aren't God either. Face it, not every pistol can be a Para 3.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Crux wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:57 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
They have enough on their hands keeping their pistols relevant in this age of computer designed firearms. Sure Glocks were and still are good pistols and certainly historically changed the entire pistol market, but in today's market no one considers them them as anymore than in the top 10. THAT's not bad but sorry to say they aren't God either. Face it, not every pistol can be a Para 3.
I would disagree with most of this. There are newer designs but none better, except for modularity. Elite forces continue to think Glock is number 1. Our own elite military forces chose Glock, not Sid, not 1911, as number one and are only changing because ordered to do so for budget reasons.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Crux

Post by Crux »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:09 am
Crux wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
I would disagree with most of this. There are newer designs but none better, except for modularity. Elite forces continue to think Glock is number 1. Our own elite military forces chose Glock, not Sid, not 1911, as number one and are only changing because ordered to do so for budget reasons.
Sorry Doc, I have almost as many guns as I do knives and I'm telling you this is BS. The Glock is NOT the best or even close. Screw Sig, I still blame the world's problems on their short 9mm. I also do not think anyone here "speaks" for our elite forces even I who actually served with SEAL Teams in the 80's.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Crux wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:41 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Crux wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sorry Doc, I have almost as many guns as I do knives and I'm telling you this is BS. The Glock is NOT the best or even close. Screw Sig, I still blame the world's problems on their short 9mm. I also do not think anyone here "speaks" for our elite forces even I who actually served with SEAL Teams in the 80's.
And it goes to show you have presumed too much. Sorry.

And I do still pay attention to who is using what or desires what. Our elite marine and sf units preferred the Glock as do many other such units. Some use different firearms but for other reasons than being a “better” gun. Some bring other desirable things to the table, instead. There are a lot of guns that are very, very, good now, but none can sa they are better than a Glock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Crux

Post by Crux »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:11 pm
Crux wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:41 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Crux wrote:

And it goes to show you have presumed too much. Sorry.

And I do still pay attention to who is using what or desires what. Our elite marine and sf units preferred the Glock as do many other such units. Some use different firearms but for other reasons than being a “better” gun. Some bring other desirable things to the table, instead. There are a lot of guns that are very, very, good now, but none can sa they are better than a Glock.
Many can say they are better than Glock. You can keep denying it but it won't make it true.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Any reputable brand will do, surely, and Glock is certainly that.

The essential difference is who’s working the firearm, whatever the brand (battlefield pickups not excluded).

In my chats with some of them, today’s US “operators” have their varying brand preferences, and, because they operate in small units, get to carry pretty much what they want. But, to a man, they prize more highly their competence across the whole array of small arms. FWIW, such were my findings when I was in uniform in the ‘60s and had occasion to support LRRPs and SEALs.
-Marc (pocketing a Maxamet Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Crux wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:47 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
I do not believe that for a second and guarantee this is not true in the slightest. Most of the higher end pistols are extremely precision instruments that meet very strict tolerances. Sounds like Benchmade saying if you took 5 Para 3s apart and mixed them they would never work again. That guy does not know what he's talking about in the slightest.
Please do not misunderstand me, I am just repeating what I was told. However I really have no reason to disbelieve him... after all aren’t police officers supposed to be honest :D Why make up a claim like that? Maybe one of our forum members can prove or disprove my previous statement. I would be very interested to see the result.

Also please be clear. Do you not believe this is possible or do you think this would be possible with any high end semiautomatic pistol like Colt or Kimber????
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Don’t know about the folder but they made a really awesome fixed blade.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”