Glock 17, Austrian gun: How good is it, asks an Austrian who has no clue about guns..

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Glock 17, Austrian gun: How good is it, asks an Austrian who has no clue about guns..

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Summary = Glock is superb, reliable, and amazing.
TomAiello

Re: Glock 17, Austrian gun: How good is it, asks an Austrian who has no clue about guns..

Post by TomAiello »

Evil D wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:27 am
I think I'd rather have one of the Enduras with the punch tool on the handle.
Yep.

I have a glock field knife and it's a novelty. If you're a knife guy, it's really nothing you'd ever use.

The punch tool endura rides in my range bag and is actually super handy.
Reject

Post by Reject »

I have a Glock 17A for target shooting. (IPSC) :D Love it.
The 17A has a longer barrel than the 17 to conform to the Australian regulations.

If I am giving a new shooters a try on the Glock, after showing them proper stance, grip and allowing them to dry fire the pistol a few times.
I load it for them and make this simple statement. (If you squeeze the trigger it will go bang, if you don’t squeeze the trigger it won’t go bang. If you don’t want it to go bang; keep your finger off the trigger.)

It is not the best target pistol out there, but if you do your part, it will perform well.

Note: With a new shooter it is one round only loaded. I stand so close to person, that any closer would be deemed improper. I have caught a S/W 686 in mid flight after a young lady get it loose under recoil.

How much can a Koala bear?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I have a Glock 22 (.40 S&W) and it's my favorite handgun by far. Never had any problems with it, and it's child's play to disassemble for cleaning.
There's a reason that what - 60 or 70%? - of US law enforcement agencies use Glocks. They're super tough and reliable and they get the job done.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It's a service pistol--not a target pistol.

But it's a great service pistol.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:08 pm
I have a Glock 22 (.40 S&W) and it's my favorite handgun by far. Never had any problems with it, and it's child's play to disassemble for cleaning.
There's a reason that what - 60 or 70%? - of US law enforcement agencies use Glocks. They're super tough and reliable and they get the job done.

It seems to change with the tides. Around here most cops I see are carrying M&P's, but I know for a long time they were carrying .40cal Glocks because you could stroll into any gun store and buy used G23's for dirt cheap that were retired from agencies.

I haven't carried or even shot my 19 in over a year since getting a M&P 2.0C. I don't think it's so much a gun vs gun situation that makes it better for me, it's more about what works for me. I believe I'm at around 3k rounds through it without a single issue.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:56 am
The Meat man wrote:

It seems to change with the tides. Around here most cops I see are carrying M&P's, but I know for a long time they were carrying .40cal Glocks because you could stroll into any gun store and buy used G23's for dirt cheap that were retired from agencies.

I haven't carried or even shot my 19 in over a year since getting a M&P 2.0C. I don't think it's so much a gun vs gun situation that makes it better for me, it's more about what works for me. I believe I'm at around 3k rounds through it without a single issue.

Good points. I think it shows the extent to which Glock has set the standards of the industry. Lots of makers have really stepped up their game in response.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:07 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:56 am
The Meat man wrote:

Good points. I think it shows the extent to which Glock has set the standards of the industry. Lots of makers have really stepped up their game in response.

There's no doubt the 19 is a benchmark gun. Every new gun that comes out is a "Glock killer" or it has to at least measure up to it. Personally I have an old hand injury that makes ergonomics a big deal in regards to trigger finger and the Glocks are kind of a brick. The 2.0C has a shorter distance from the grip to the trigger which works better for me and the grip angle is more like a SIG or something along those lines.
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have only seen one thing that can stop a Glock....a German Shepherd puppy. A policeman that I knew had a new puppy that was teething, and it chose his duty pistol to chew. It ate the grip, but the mechanics still worked. Glock, of course, fixed it for free and got a good laugh in the process.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm not a gun guy, don't really know much about them...but that video, Jesus!! Why would any civilian need something like that?? That was insane, and to think of it getting into the hands of someone mentally imbalanced, that's a terrifying thought.

Regardless, extremely impressive. That was bad a$$!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:02 pm
I'm not a gun guy, don't really know much about them...but that video, Jesus!! Why would any civilian need something like that?? That was insane, and to think of it getting into the hands of someone mentally imbalanced, that's a terrifying thought.

Regardless, extremely impressive. That was bad a$$!!

I'm exactly sure how it works, technically you can't just stroll into a gun store and buy that particular gun. It's essentially a Glock 18 which isn't available to the public (that I'm aware of) but the part that can be put on a 19 to make it fully automatic can be bought somehow, otherwise he wouldn't have it.

The rate of fire is pretty scary when thinking about bad things happening, but carrying that much ammo is another issue. Then again, the North Hollywood Shootout is exactly what happens when you combine automatic weapons with big guys who can carry lots of ammo who are determined to hurt people. Fortunately we don't see many people who are that far off their rocker.
~David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

In order to buy a G18 (if they will sell to non-law enforcement) you have to pay a Federal Tax of $200, go through an extensive FBI background check, and wait 6 months to a year before it gets approved. They will talk to everyone you know. It is not easy, and most people do not think it is worth the hassle.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:56 am
Basically everything you need to know about the reliability of a Glock right here. There's no reason not to expect a 17 or 19 to perform the same. Basically you can't possibly carry enough ammo to fire to kill a Glock.

https://youtu.be/ub4OswUhLwo
No Beretta or 1911 would have done that, I can tell you.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:35 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:56 am
Basically everything you need to know about the reliability of a Glock right here. There's no reason not to expect a 17 or 19 to perform the same. Basically you can't possibly carry enough ammo to fire to kill a Glock.

https://youtu.be/ub4OswUhLwo
No Beretta or 1911 would have done that, I can tell you.

Survived it or failed at the end?
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:26 am
In order to buy a G18 (if they will sell to non-law enforcement) you have to pay a Federal Tax of $200, go through an extensive FBI background check, and wait 6 months to a year before it gets approved. They will talk to everyone you know. It is not easy, and most people do not think it is worth the hassle.
You can't buy them,

After the Machine Gun Registry closed (1986? I think) there were no more added to that list. And to be legal for private ownership they have to be on that list (aside from some very specialized regulations, like rental ranges and hollywood movie studios).

Even with a tax stamp you can't get a post-86 machine gun.

The only glock 18's on the list were imported (not sold to individuals) between January 1, 1986 and May 19, 1986 (the date the registry closed). These were all dealer samples, not legal for sale to private parties.

It's vaguely possible that a dealer kept a sample in their own (private party) name, and that when they retired they retained possession and license, so there _might_ be a couple of those dealer samples that are privately transferable--but I don't know that anyone has ever bought or sold one.

In all likelihood, the one in the video is a conversion done by a Class III dealer with a demo license, used (under pretty strict guidelines) for the video.

Full article here: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/glock-18 ... -have-one/

As an ironic (and thought provoking) aside, in one of only two cases in which a legally owned full auto weapon (a machine gun) was ever used in a crime, the owner was a _police officer_ (the exact same people who are allowed to have things that are too "dangerous" for private ownership).

"A Dayton Ohio police officer, Roger Waller, was convicted of the Sept. 15 1988 slaying of Lawrence E. Hileman, 53. Hileman had a history of drug-related arrests and was a police informant. He killed the man with a registered M11 in .380 caliber."

More info here: https://guncite.com/gun_control_gcfullau.html
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Love my Glock pistols! Took me awhile to warm up to them, but when I did it was a revelation. My G19 is my current carry gun and it's great. Reliable and accurate.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:48 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:26 am
You can't buy them,

After the Machine Gun Registry closed (1986? I think) there were no more added to that list. And to be legal for private ownership they have to be on that list (aside from some very specialized regulations, like rental ranges and hollywood movie studios).

Even with a tax stamp you can't get a post-86 machine gun.

The only glock 18's on the list were imported (not sold to individuals) between January 1, 1986 and May 19, 1986 (the date the registry closed). These were all dealer samples, not legal for sale to private parties.

It's vaguely possible that a dealer kept a sample in their own (private party) name, and that when they retired they retained possession and license, so there _might_ be a couple of those dealer samples that are privately transferable--but I don't know that anyone has ever bought or sold one.

In all likelihood, the one in the video is a conversion done by a Class III dealer with a demo license, used (under pretty strict guidelines) for the video.

Full article here: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/glock-18 ... -have-one/

As an ironic (and thought provoking) aside, in one of only two cases in which a legally owned full auto weapon (a machine gun) was ever used in a crime, the owner was a _police officer_ (the exact same people who are allowed to have things that are too "dangerous" for private ownership).

"A Dayton Ohio police officer, Roger Waller, was convicted of the Sept. 15 1988 slaying of Lawrence E. Hileman, 53. Hileman had a history of drug-related arrests and was a police informant. He killed the man with a registered M11 in .380 caliber."

More info here: https://guncite.com/gun_control_gcfullau.html
I thought this was true, but did not say it because I was not certain because of a faulty memory. Thanks for pointing this out.

They stated at the beginning of the video that it was a full auto conversion someone had done and not actually a G18.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:04 pm
Love my Glock pistols! Took me awhile to warm up to them, but when I did it was a revelation. My G19 is my current carry gun and it's great. Reliable and accurate.
Yeah, that about sums it up.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:39 am
Wartstein my friend, if you don't mind me bringing it up, regarding the Glock knives, what are your opinions of them? They seem to be made with some type of quality Austrian carbon spring steel and are coated for corrosion-resistance. I have read and heard that they are very tough and durable, and they come in both straight edges and sawbacks. Some people consider them a bit on the long side for their uses but I have read of everyone from serious survival bushcrafters and soldiers, to housewives who use them in the garden as a root-cutter/saw appreciating them.

How would you improve them if you could? Make a line of them with some quality European stainless steel like N690?
I have owned one of the Glock field knives- I also saw a crate of heavily abused ones issued ones at a show about 15 years ago.

Plus points:
Arrived sharp enough (see below)
Excellent handle devoid of hot spots while giving excellent grip
Really solid point and thick blade- I can't see anyone bending one unless they use it lever truck tyres off their rims
Snaps positively back into the sheath (see below)
Steel resharpens easily

Negatives
Literally the worst sheath ever made with the most godawful retention clip. I needed two hands to get the knife out and the blade rattled inside like cheap maracas.....This was the primary reason I sold it- if I can't actually GET the knife out there's no point having the blessed thing rattling about on my hip.
Blade coating is an obviously cheap shiny stove enamel and performs like you'd expect- scratches then wears off faster than the flavour of Juicy Fruit....and with all the resharpening you'll be doing you'll see this happen right in front of your eyes.
Thick behind the edge and quite an obtuse angle on the edge.
Edge retention is what I expect from a lower end knife- not great at all.

They are OK. At best.
Replace the sheath and it'd be more usable- but then you're adding cash that would allow you upgrade to a better knife in the first place.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

demoncase wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Blade coating is an obviously cheap shiny stove enamel and performs like you'd expect- scratches then wears off faster than the flavour of Juicy Fruit....
HaHahaHaHa! :D :D :D That was a good one. I'll have to remember that one.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050