Talking about your traditional knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Enactive

Re: Talking about your traditional knives

Post by Enactive »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:10 am
Enactive wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:07 am
The Oil Field Jack landed yesterday. It is really nice. This is my first and only GEC. I am not too into traditionals, but have been waiting for a GEC that suited my taste and this one is it. I don't think this bug bit me as hard as the :spyder:, so doubtful i will buy many more, except maybe as gifts. I grew up in small town PA, so the manufacture resonates with me. If you haven't seen the factory tour videos on YT, they are worth a watch. This is the first part of three if you are interested. https://youtu.be/ZeHWa5jyO74

IMAG3747.jpg
Awesome! My GEC 92 has decided to take a 50 state tour courtesy of the USPS :(
That's a drag, hang in there.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Outstanding quality.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:29 pm

Outstanding quality.
I love this knife, you are spot on. Enjoy!
Josh
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

My 92 Eureka Jack in Camel Bone finally came in today. All I can say is WOW, pictures do NO justice on this thing. I will try to get some better pictures in the sun later this week.
Josh
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

I've been getting back into traditionals recently, and I've been especially liking a lot of the Italian makers who've jumped on board the "modern traditional" bandwagon recently. Many of them have been using old patterns with new techniques and materials and I tend to like the results.

Most of my traditionals are unfortunately in storage, with them mostly being Case and a couple GEC, but I just picked this up from DLT, as it's an exclusive they just dropped: The Lionsteel Best Man sheepsfoot in M390/silver twill carbon fiber:
IMG_20191119_103854-2016x1512.jpg
Normally the best man is a one or two blade model they do with a main clip-point blade, and an optional secondary sheeps-foot blade, with titanium bolsters in several cover choices (bocote wood, CF, micarta) The DLT version eliminates the bolsters and makes the main blade a sheeps-foot.

This one is on the mail right now, as it dropped yesterday, the Viper sway-back jack in M390/grey oak handles (picture from collectorsknives.net):
VPCK0616GO-2.jpg
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

The modern traditionals definitely are nice, I particularly like the modern detent system Viper employed on the CK EZ Open. They managed to be thoroughly modern while still keeping a quite traditional look.
3E43A791-B8E9-47D2-AFAD-0BCB93005680.jpeg

Still, a GEC or other actual traditionally made slipjoint just have a certain charm about them.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Josh
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

D17CC750-CBBC-434B-A0BB-826478B163D0.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

So this one doesn’t really qualify as a traditional to me, but it’s a slipjoint so maybe. Real steel Luna, titanium handle, n690 and a pocket clip. Thin blade stock, ground super thin behind the edge. Really liking it so far.
B7143B25-4A1E-4D70-B4AA-C5E18E31D195.jpeg
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been carrying around a Queen stockman recently and its been a pleasure to use.

Three blades is a bit much though. Could you guys recommend a two blade pattern that has one wharncliffe blade? I'd like the main blade to have some belly, so clip point, maybe spear point, while the second blade is wharncliffe. I've seen some muskrats with a wharcnliffe and that'd be perfect.
:unicorn
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Wharncliffe trapper comes to mind.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

My latest is a GEC 35 calf pen in knifebrite. It’s a real sturdy build. A bit chunky but fills the hand. Blades are ground very thin and even. Probably the best I’ve had from GEC. I plan on really beating on this one.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Here's about half what I have. Sadly only use about 3 of them. A couple will be gifted tomorrow.
Does a sak qualify as traditional?

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

SAK, absolutely. I have one that I bought from the ship’s store in 1962.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

My Stockyard Whittler and Eureka Jack (growing a nice patina).

Team Innovation
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I have tried and tried. Just can’t find one better for floating in slacks pocket than a Dragonfly. I forget it’s there, and it lock and opens with one hand. I like the idea of slips but modern EDC has more to offer IMO o ly
vivi

Post by vivi »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:18 pm
I have tried and tried. Just can’t find one better for floating in slacks pocket than a Dragonfly. I forget it’s there, and it lock and opens with one hand. I like the idea of slips but modern EDC has more to offer IMO o ly
For me using any two handed knife takes a conscious effort because its so habitual to use the one handers. I always have a one handed Spyderco or fixed blade on me, so stopping to set something down and fish out the traditional takes breaking away from an action I've repeated thousands of times.

I enjoy how they cut though. I've been carrying a Queen Stockman once or twice a week this month, and I try to use it in place of the one handers when I can.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:19 pm
I've been carrying around a Queen stockman recently and its been a pleasure to use.

Three blades is a bit much though. Could you guys recommend a two blade pattern that has one wharncliffe blade? I'd like the main blade to have some belly, so clip point, maybe spear point, while the second blade is wharncliffe. I've seen some muskrats with a wharcnliffe and that'd be perfect.
Check out the GEC Possum Skinner. I bet you can still find one for sale. If not let me know. I bet I can find one for sale. Two blades, a thin Turkish clip and a wharncliffe but in the same spring. The natural micarta variant is great.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:05 pm
Vivi wrote:

Check out the GEC Possum Skinner. I bet you can still find one for sale. If not let me know. I bet I can find one for sale. Two blades, a thin Turkish clip and a wharncliffe but in the same spring. The natural micarta variant is great.
Do you know if they ever ran them in their green micarta?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:18 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:05 pm
Vivi wrote:

Do you know if they ever ran them in their green micarta?
Nope it was a filler run. Just the natural micarta and an elderberry bone. I don't even think they did stag.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!