A favorite style of mine

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Iole

A favorite style of mine

Post by Iole »

Always liked pinned wood handle locking folders.
Attachments
WPL.png
TkoK83Spy

Re: A favorite style of mine

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Have you ever looked into the KnifeCenter Pakkawood exclusive Delica, Dragonfly, Endura? I have the Delica... beautiful knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Jealous of the GEC. That jigged cherry looks great.

Idk why, but I go crazy for Desert Ironwood and Bocote
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Iole

Post by Iole »

I will check out those Pakkawood Spydercos.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Iole wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:47 pm
I will check out those Pakkawood Spydercos.
Moki also makes some nice ones.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

In the original picture posted above, what brand and what name is that top one that has the back lock and the clip point-looking blade?
Iole

Post by Iole »

One of my first folders, a vintage Imperial Wildcat Skinner from the 70's. Large sturdy stainless steel blade and mahogany wood handle. Really alot of wood back in the old days. Hand filling size.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That second blade down from the top looks like a couple of older folders I used to own made by Queen Cutlery>> who are now out of business and I was sad to hear that because before they went out of business they were getting better and better and were almost ready to compete with some of the high end knife companies. Also Queen Cutlery was in business for many decades and had a sterling reputation.

There is a lot to be said for many of these older hardware stores knives that many of us actually got our start with. I started out in the late 60s/early 70s with Ka-Bar, Buck, Case and Queen Cutlery knives and many of them I got at local hardware and sporting good stores. I never in my wildest dreams ever thought that Spyderco and about 4 other companies I could mention would take the pocketknife to the quality level it is at today.

We have true Custom Quality knives massed produced to where most of us can afford Spyderco and Benchmade knives. That's why I never want to forget these types of knives because there were a lot of us who got our starts with those types of blades.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

That second blade down from the top looks like a couple of older folders I used to own made by Queen Cutlery>> who are now out of business and I was sad to hear that because before they went out of business they were getting better and better and were almost ready to compete with some of the high end knife companies. Also Queen Cutlery was in business for many decades and had a sterling reputation.
I really like wood and lockback knives especially with good steel. Queen was one of my favorites and I still will grab up choice ones when I can. The cost has gone way up since they closed. Once their D2 blades were well sharpened they cut well and before the super steel advances they were one of the better performing ones. The D2 ones and not so much the "Queen steel" models made in stainless. 420hc I believe.

The Queen Cocobolo series is still one of my favorites and I'm always looking around for one of the Cocobolo Mountain Man D2 models. They are hard to find to the point I saw only one come around in the last 2 to 3 years that I've been watching. It got out of my reach pretty quickly but I still regret losing out on it.

The old Gerber Sportsman 2 in "V" steel ( Vascowear, the original cruwear composition) comes up every 4 to 5 months and sells for $150 to 200 for good to excellent shape. The brass on those ages badly and generally needs some work with brasso and a buffer but they are solid, well built knives which were the original "steel junky" sprints. They sure impressed me back then but in comparison to todays Spyderco's they certainly lack in the ergonomics department.

Great Eastern Cutlery sure has some pretty ones out there. Nice to look at and use but plain vanilla 1095 with the occasional 440C version leaves me wanting at the prices they go at on the secondary market. They don't make models I get along with all that often and when they do they are pre ordered quickly and still difficult to get.

Joe
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

The pic doesn’t do the cocobolo justice but this is a great knife, I find it a bit large in pocket but great in hand.
DE4CC66E-F7E4-4997-80F1-737D720B00BA.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I love the Barlow style.

Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation