Japanese Knife & Sword City: Seki Experience

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Japanese Knife & Sword City: Seki Experience

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/1gl95A6nb6w

Jim
ChrisinHove

Re: Japanese Knife & Sword City: Seki Experience

Post by ChrisinHove »

Interesting vid. Mildly annoying presenter ....
Thanks for posting. Seki is now on the list!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For many years I've wanted to go check out the impeccable artistry that takes place at "Seki City, Japan". I've heard that their swords are second to nobody's. My Seki City made Spyders are some of my favorite work knives.

Pittsburgh PA used to be the steel capitol of the USA, Solingen is the knife "Mecca" for Germany and Seki City is the epicenter for knives and swords in Japan.

It makes me want to laugh when I hear many people make derogatory comments about my Japan made Spyders. Little do the Rip-Mart morons know that even the least of my Japan made Spyders are at least 80% better than even the finest knife they own. Needless to say "stupidity" is not in short supply among most of American consumers :(
James Y

Post by James Y »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:31 am
Interesting vid. Mildly annoying presenter ....
Thanks for posting. Seki is now on the list!
You're welcome, ChrisinHove. Yes, I agree about the presenter, but overall he seems OK. I love seeing things about knife making centers.
JD Spydo wrote: For many years I've wanted to go check out the impeccable artistry that takes place at "Seki City, Japan". I've heard that their swords are second to nobody's. My Seki City made Spyders are some of my favorite work knives.

Pittsburgh PA used to be the steel capitol of the USA, Solingen is the knife "Mecca" for Germany and Seki City is the epicenter for knives and swords in Japan.

It makes me want to laugh when I hear many people make derogatory comments about my Japan made Spyders. Little do the Rip-Mart morons know that even the least of my Japan made Spyders are at least 80% better than even the finest knife they own. Needless to say "stupidity" is not in short supply among most of American consumers :(
Joe, I think that many (mostly non-knife types) who criticize Japan-made knives are still stuck in decades past, when "made in Japan" imports were known as poor quality. Of course, that does not mean that Japanese products on the whole were bad, only the cheap imports up into the 1970s. People who automatically equate made in Japan with poor quality are way out of touch with reality.

Here's another nice Seki video. There is a glimpse of some Spydercos on display from around 6:56 or so...

https://youtu.be/57E8X29p3vo

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey Jim I get what you're saying about people still thinking in terms of how Japan was perceived in the 1960s and truly they did import a lot of dime store type items to the USA at one point. But for people I've talked to over the years and the people truly knowledgeable realize that even during that time span there was still a lot of high quality, well made Japanese stuff if you knew where to get it.

Back in the early 70s and all the way to the late 70s my brother worked for an Electronics company and he was telling me then that at that time the Japanese electronics ( especially in stereo equipment) was just as good and in many cases better than a lot of the mainline USA and German brands both. I remember in 1973 after I got out of high school I got hooked up with an electronics warehouse and they sold me a complete Sanyo Quadraphonic system for just under $500 and all my friends were envious beyond belief. I had that system for over 22 years and the guy I sold it to I believe still has it. It was one of the very first QUAD systems available here in the USA and it was a great unit. Right at that time I knew for sure that the Japanese were about as high tech as the US was at that time. At least in the consumer electronics field anyway>> now the computers and high tech stuff the military uses is probably a different story.

But you're so right when you make reference to the 1960s. Because so many people were dumber than dirt during that time knowing what true quality was. :rolleyes:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Very cool and very neat. Could they make a large sized locking Higonokami ?
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Excellent video, thanks for posting it James Y.
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Very cool and very neat. Could they make a large sized locking Higonokami ?
SEF,
I'm sure they could make almost anything you could ask of them, though probably not for the mass market, unless there was some real demand for it.
justjohn wrote:Excellent video, thanks for posting it James Y.
My pleasure, justjohn. Glad that you enjoyed it.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

I'm pretty sure this isn't in Seki, but I like this guy's demo, and the absolute confidence he has in his knives:

https://youtu.be/GTbQFF9gKCA

(Edit to add): I believe this is in Osaka.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

This factory is located in Tsubame-Sanjo, in Niigata Prefecture:

https://youtu.be/A5-wyymIysU

Jim