Cell Phone Addicts III

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Cell Phone Addicts III

Post by James Y »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:49 pm
I haven't read all the posts but I will say that cell phone use while driving is rampant here in the DFW area of TX and it's supposed to be illegal. I see it everyday driving to and from work. I get tired of waiting behind someone when a red light turns green and the person in front of you doesn't realize it until it's too late because they were too busy staring at their phone. Then they hit the gas and make it through the light but I get to sit through it one more time. Frustrating! Last weekend we were at a local festival. I was standing near a busy road while waiting for my girl to use the restroom in the restaurant on the corner. I swear 7 out of 10 drivers that went by were looking at their phone as they drove by. That's ridiculous! My phone is in my back pocket or in a dash mount if I'm using it as a GPS. I don't take calls while I'm driving unless I'm expecting an important call while on the road and I have my Bluetooth ear bud in. I rarely get an import call that can't wait so that's basically never.
I've had the exact same thing happen a lot at red lights turning green, especially at left turn signals. I've had to honk my horn, if they're the ones directly in front of me, but have still had to wait for the next green.

In the local news a couple of years ago, some young guy was walking and completely immersed in his "smart"phone. He walked under a barrier at a train crossing that had come down and was dinging that a train was approaching. Witnesses said he began walking at a diagonal to the approaching traIn. Predictably, he was struck and killed by the train. By all accounts, it was not a suicide, but a case of him being so engrossed in his smartphone that he was oblivious to the train and other people shouting at him. Well, at least he wasn't driving, but what a stupid way to die.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I can echo what you 2 guys just said. Just this last weekend I was helping a friend of mine pick up some stuff and we had to stop at 3 different places. My friend who was driving is normally a very mellow and laid back guy and until this trip I had never previously heard him use curse words before. But by the time we got all of our running around done and got back to his house he was absolutely livid and it all had to do with these disgusting air headed cell phone addicts doing almost exactly what you last 2 guys reported. I really don't know what they're going to do about it either. Because like I said earlier there is no breath test you can give for this type of impaired driving.
It is so rude, inconsiderate and down right dangerous to cut people off by improper lane usage, running red lights ( and I mean blatantly red not yellow turning red) and GOD only knows what other atrocities these brainwashed, phone addicted morons are doing to our ever so dangerous road systems.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

JD I could give you a hug for bringing up this theme!

In the country where I live it is forbidden to use a cellphone as a driver but only a view care for it, as it is with the rest of the world. As you said, they don't care for the life of others, much to my regret. Even mothers don't care for their babies crying in kinderwagen on streets when they use their "important" smartphone. And all this is called social media ... what a lie!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Peter1960 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:22 am
JD I could give you a hug for bringing up this theme!

In the country where I live it is forbidden to use a cellphone as a driver but only a view care for it, as it is with the rest of the world. As you said, they don't care for the life of others, much to my regret. Even mothers don't care for their babies crying in kinderwagen on streets when they use their "important" smartphone. And all this is called social media ... what a lie!
Oh Peter it's a global problem for sure. I was kind of blown away that those guys from down under chimed in as fast as they did :rolleyes: . I've got a suspicion that the only reason this thread hasn't gotten bigger is because we've probably got a lot of guilty parties here in the community.

And like you said even mothers of small babies who traditionally would be the ones to sound the alarm on a problem such as this>> that they are more guilty than many irresponsible young men are.

And when I was referring to cell phones as a Schedule 1 narcotic>> Oh yes it sounded funny on the surface but I wasn't kidding I really meant it.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

One of the cutting-edge electronics technologies the various companies are in the process of developing right now, are smart material based flexible displays that can rid people of the semi fragile hard glass screens that are currently used, and, these would allow, once fully developed, the person to have roll-up and fold-up display electronics. How will this new technology, once it becomes cheap and widespread, effect the addiction to cell phones and other electronic devices? Imagine people walking around and driving around with fully animated displays on their clothes and their vehicles and their homes and that sort of thing, just for starters.

You could have a multi-foot wide roll-up personal movie viewer. Imagine people in public places and in homes unfolding a personal view screen that is 3 or 4 feet wide and just as long.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:58 pm
One of the cutting-edge electronics technologies the various companies are in the process of developing right now, are smart material based flexible displays that can rid people of the semi fragile hard glass screens that are currently used, and, these would allow, once fully developed, the person to have roll-up and fold-up display electronics. How will this new technology, once it becomes cheap and widespread, effect the addiction to cell phones and other electronic devices? Imagine people walking around and driving around with fully animated displays on their clothes and their vehicles and their homes and that sort of thing, just for starters.

You could have a multi-foot wide roll-up personal movie viewer. Imagine people in public places and in homes unfolding a personal view screen that is 3 or 4 feet wide and just as long.
SEF ol[' buddy I've got to carefully think about this one for a little bit :rolleyes: :confused: I really don't know whether to hug you or kick you with this type of news :rolleyes: :o . After watching Elon Musk a few months back with his horrifying predictions of A I ( artificial intelligence) I just don't know whether or not what you just said might be a step toward solving the problem or exponentially exploding the problem :o I wonder if Einstein or Tesla ever had dilemmas like this or not :confused:

I clearly remember when I got my very first cell phone ever a little over 20 years ago. And the only pressing reason I got it was because My late mother was in really bad health and getting worse and I wanted her to be able to get me immediately. With my first unit being a really reliable Motorola flip type phone ( The Startac) I thought that would be all the phone I would ever need or want. Oh how this monster got so out of control as it did and now we are a hopeless slave to the damned things.

I truly think that they should call FACEBOOK ( The FACE OF DEATH BOOK) :( And they should call Smart-Phones "Slavemasters". I rest my case for now>> but I still want to hear more from you all.