Duct Tape Knife Handles: Good if properly made put together or no?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Duct Tape Knife Handles: Good if properly made put together or no?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

In an earlier thread I mentioned that I was considering using neoprene rubber handle scales to make a handle for a knife blade. Now, I rethought it, and am considering using duct tape.

I found this from Cliff Stamp's website that showed some who advocate use of duct tape for knife and tool handles and also sheaths:

http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/forum/read.php?4,1920

How about wrapping the blade tang in duct tape and then reinforcing it with some of that plasti-dip that is in liquid form and then hardens/dries on the handle?

According to at least one knife user, he has used a homemade cardboard sheath for decades and it has held up. That is amazing.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Duct Tape Knife Handles: Good if properly made put together or no?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have a hammer that lost it's rubber handle. I wrapped it with duct tape as a replacement. I started by twisting the duct tape into a sticky 'cord' and wraped it in a spiral around the handle, like candy cane stripes. I then taped over that. Gives some grip. It's held up for a few years.

I've also made cardboard and duct tape sheaths for my kitchen knives. They're ugly but they hold up pretty good.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Crux

Post by Crux »

A NEW BRAVE WORLD, finding a metal pointy thingy and duct taping the handle. Should Spyderco be worried?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:35 pm
In an earlier thread I mentioned that I was considering using neoprene rubber handle scales to make a handle for a knife blade. Now, I rethought it, and am considering using duct tape.
Nascar and Score use it for racing ...why not! :p
Seriously. ..there's cheap to expensive handle blanks from Jantz https://www.knifemaking.com/handles-s/1507.htm or Texas Knife Supply ?!? https://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php

James

Duct tape is known as "100 MPH" tape...in repair garages and service stations. **** ...look at this guy using it on the jet engine nacelle...so here it's 400 mph tape :eek:
Attachments
l-3936-fixing-airplane-engine-with-duct-tape.jpg
Last edited by Extra330SC on Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
I rethought it, and am considering using duct tape.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's probably better than nothing, but the entire "handle" is only as good as the base layer of tape and glue, no matter how many times you wrap the tape around and fatten up the grip, that base layer is the only thing holding the tape to the knife so if it fails, your handle fails. This is actually (as stupid as it sounds) something I have quite a lot of experience with from when I was a kid, I made tape handles on pretty much every stick you can imagine and many of them came loose. Or, maybe I just suck at making tape handles lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:33 am
It's probably better than nothing, but the entire "handle" is only as good as the base layer of tape and glue, no matter how many times you wrap the tape around and fatten up the grip, that base layer is the only thing holding the tape to the knife so if it fails, your handle fails. This is actually (as stupid as it sounds) something I have quite a lot of experience with from when I was a kid, I made tape handles on pretty much every stick you can imagine and many of them came loose. Or, maybe I just suck at making tape handles lol.
Can you strengthen or reinforce the original base layer with some kind of adhesive resin or glue to make it stronger when starting the process, to avoid any unraveling or loosening?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:41 am
Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:33 am
Can you strengthen or reinforce the original base layer with some kind of adhesive resin or glue to make it stronger when starting the process, to avoid any unraveling or loosening?
You can use the tape itself and make a cord out of it by twisting it and then wrapping it like you would with paracord, or just use paracord or twine or something like that. I personally wouldn't use anything too permanent just so it's easier to redo when the time comes. If I'm going to use resin or epoxy and stuff like that I'm just gonna make a proper handle that's more permanent. I've also found the tape deal is less problematic if you keep it on the thin side, the more bulky you build up the tape the more likely it is to twist and come loose. But, then you also have less cushion so it's a compromise.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wouldn’t use duct tape.

I have knives with paracord wrapped handles that work well.

I have thought about dipping a cord wrapped handle in plastidip but haven’t yet. It would be sort of durable but not permanent.

I have cardboard and duct tape sheaths for some of my kitchen knives but that is mostly just to protect them in storage but also for the occasional trip to a friends house.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Crux

Post by Crux »

When I was on subs we used a special duct tape called EB Green. Maybe that's what you need.
The one famous EB Green story, and possibly a submariner version of an urban legend, is how it survived a trip to test depth. The story goes that an un-named submarine went to sea from the shipyard on builder's trials. During the at sea period the submarine made at least one excursion to test depth. Upon the sub’s return to the shipyard, and a trip into the dry dock, it was discovered that a small area on the pressure hull had some EB Green tape on it. The patch of tape had been over painted and not noticed during construction. The tape was removed so that the hull could be properly painted and a hole was discovered that went “all the way through the pressure hull” to the submarine interior. The EB Green tape had saved the submarine from a certain flooding causality.
https://lubbers-line.blogspot.com/2006/ ... gends.html
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Perhaps I’m missing something but why would you want to do this?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:28 am
I wouldn’t use duct tape.
:)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:42 pm
why would you want to do this?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Duct tape is great for all sorts of things, like minding the kids.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:38 am

Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :)

Doc, you’re a bad man! :p

My daughter and family were over at our place when her youngest, Action Jackson (now nearly four how) was about eighteen months old. He was asleep in a cot in the spare room. Beloved wife, daughter, son in law and granddaughter Maya wanted to go down the road to buy lunch and I offered to stay home and watch over Action Jackson while he slept. They only had to go a hundred and fifty yards and back.

They mustn’t have gone ten yards I reckon when the little bloke woke up. Anyhow, long story short, I stood him on a chair in the bathroom and taped him with care to the inside of bathroom door. I used 2” green masking tape. The little bloke must have thought it was fun, laughed and wasn’t phased. I took the chair away and he was stuck fast and happy. I tickled him and he laughed some more and carried on as any happy baby taped to a door would.

When I heard beloved wife and kids come home I went and sat in the lounge room and Action Jackson didn’t cry or anything still taped to the inside of the bathroom door.

Beloved daughter asked if he’d woken up and I asked “Who?” She went into the bedroom, came out in a panic asking “Where’s Jackson?” I told her I thought he went with them. You can imagine how it went from there. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :D

Kiwi son in law thought it was hilarious and actually sheilded me when beloved wife and daughter called me an idiot, irresponsible, many other names (which I denied) and attacked me. Action Jackson, son in law and I thought it was hilarious. :cool:
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:26 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:38 am

Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :)

Doc, you’re a bad man! :p

My daughter and family were over at our place when her youngest, Action Jackson (now nearly four how) was about eighteen months old. He was asleep in a cot in the spare room. Beloved wife, daughter, son in law and granddaughter Maya wanted to go down the road to buy lunch and I offered to stay home and watch over Action Jackson while he slept. They only had to go a hundred and fifty yards and back.

They mustn’t have gone ten yards I reckon when the little bloke woke up. Anyhow, long story short, I stood him on a chair in the bathroom and taped him with care to the inside of bathroom door. I used 2” green masking tape. The little bloke must have thought it was fun, laughed and wasn’t phased. I took the chair away and he was stuck fast and happy. I tickled him and he laughed some more and carried on as any happy baby taped to a door would.

When I heard beloved wife and kids come home I went and sat in the lounge room and Action Jackson didn’t cry or anything still taped to the inside of the bathroom door.

Beloved daughter asked if he’d woken up and I asked “Who?” She went into the bedroom, came out in a panic asking “Where’s Jackson?” I told her I thought he went with them. You can imagine how it went from there. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :D

Kiwi son in law thought it was hilarious and actually sheilded me when beloved wife and daughter called me an idiot, irresponsible, many other names (which I denied) and attacked me. Action Jackson, son in law and I thought it was hilarious. :cool:
HahahahaHa! That's funny. Have you thought about getting a job in a Daycare?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Extra330SC wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:27 am
Duct tape episode :D

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vmwfv
That was a great show back then. See, Duct Tape rules the world!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:53 pm
Extra330SC wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:27 am
Duct tape episode :D

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vmwfv
That was a great show back then. See, Duct Tape rules the world!
Great show...remember this one?
https://youtu.be/sCQ2oZtVNpg

If Jamie and Adam would've wrapped the chicken with Duct tape...Damm...who knows the result? !? :cool:

James
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

I found this from Cliff Stamp's website that showed some who advocate use of duct tape for knife and tool handles and also sheaths:

http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/forum/read.php?4,1920

How about wrapping the blade tang in duct tape and then reinforcing it with some of that plasti-dip that is in liquid form and then hardens/dries on the handle?

According to at least one knife user, he has used a homemade cardboard sheath for decades and it has held up. That is amazing.
I have four words for you - Raychem heat shrink tubing
Or any other heat shrink tubing for that matter. If the handle is more or less straight just put it over, and use a heating fan or a torch. Raychem has a resin on the inside of the tube which will stick forever.

I use this for tools that come in contact with live circuits, a much better and durable solution than tape.

The problem with tape is that glue from the inner side eventually slides out, whether from temperature or other conditions.