custom scales interest

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
rabbitanarchy14

custom scales interest

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i will be buying in the next few months a tabletop cnc machine so i can make scales and other knife parts. i guess what i am asking is would anyone from here want custom scales made from micarta and g10. i would really just like to work on spydercos. just posting this question to see if it is even worth the cnc machine to make my own custom scales or if i could make a little bit from only making them for spydercos here on the forum.

i am not selling anything, nor am i taking orders. nothing is for sale. just looking for help doing it and if its worth it. yes i am asking if there is interest for it on the forums and if anyone can help me do it for me or thoughts about doing it the way i am proposing, but this is just a discussion nothing is being bought or sold from me.
like simple things, are there special bits i would need for micarta and g10 or regular small router bits ok, how fast should i make the machine cut them slower means better quality but is there a point where its too slow.
Last edited by rabbitanarchy14 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
DutchBlades

Re: custom scales interest

Post by DutchBlades »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:03 am
...or if i could make a little bit from only making them for spydercos here on the forum.
Putting them up for sale would violate the forums rules.
You could still inquire to see if there's a market for it though ;)
I know I would certainly sign up for some sweet Micarta scales for a number of plain black G10 Spydies if the price and quality are right.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
araneae

Post by araneae »

I think even the post is a bit sketchy by forum rules. You are basically advertising/gauging customer interest.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
rabbitanarchy14

araneae wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:48 am
I think even the post is a bit sketchy by forum rules. You are basically advertising/gauging customer interest.
i am sorry i dont mean to break the rules i am just seeing if anyone is interested or if its worth my time to do all the work just for my personal knives. i am not selling anything here. i am not taking orders or anything like that. kinda seeing how hard it would be mostly. or if anyone thinks its a good idea. or any help when i do buy it and start making them for personal first.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think it's fair to gauge interest, but that's really a question for Kristi to decide (whether this is ok by the forum rules).

I'd definitely be interested in nice 3d contoured scales for a manix, in either g-10 or micarta.
rabbitanarchy14

3d contoured🤔 interesting, I had not thought of trying that yet . So how deep would the contours be, or how thick would the medium be? I do want to try scalloped scale.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Could anything be done for the K2?
Just being solid titanium grips are awfully slick, and the K2 is the last pocket knife you would want to be cut badly with.....
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The only advice I'd give you is to try not to get in over your head. Over the past 16 years, I've commissioned custom Spyderco scales from at least a dozen different craftsmen, Several of them did excellent work it in a timely manner for me and a lot of other people, but later crashed and burned.

rabbitanarchy14 wrote: 3d contoured🤔 interesting, I had not thought of trying that yet . So how deep would the contours be, or how thick would the medium be? I do want to try scalloped scale.

Scalloped/corrugated scales can be awesome looking!

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. Very nice Paul!
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:03 am
i will be buying in the next few months a tabletop cnc machine so i can make scales and other knife parts. i guess what i am asking is would anyone from here want custom scales made from micarta and g10. i would really just like to work on spydercos. just posting this question to see if it is even worth the cnc machine to make my own custom scales or if i could make a little bit from only making them for spydercos here on the forum.

i am not selling anything, nor am i taking orders. nothing is for sale. just looking for help doing it and if its worth it. yes i am asking if there is interest for it on the forums and if anyone can help me do it for me or thoughts about doing it the way i am proposing, but this is just a discussion nothing is being bought or sold from me.
like simple things, are there special bits i would need for micarta and g10 or regular small router bits ok, how fast should i make the machine cut them slower means better quality but is there a point where its too slow.
I'm in for multiple. ...especially Micarta and Carbon Fiber!

James
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Have a look at the "3D" scales on a bradford guardian. They do a good job of enhancing grip and comfort without getting too out of control with the shaping. I've actually been thinking of asking Cuscadi to replicate the same kind of feel in a Manix 2 scale.
ferider

Post by ferider »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:24 pm
Have a look at the "3D" scales on a bradford guardian. They do a good job of enhancing grip and comfort without getting too out of control with the shaping. I've actually been thinking of asking Cuscadi to replicate the same kind of feel in a Manix 2 scale.
Be careful, Tom. I have a set of gorgeous Cuscadi 3D CF scales on a Cruwear Manix 2. But the knife gets rarely used because it's harder to open close than a normal Manix 2 as the scales are thicker.

To the OP: there is definitely a market for custom scales other than for PM[23], Manix 2, and Endura.

For example, would love to have different scales for my Police 4. Or my Caribbean. Etc.
rabbitanarchy14

ferider wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:26 am
TomAiello wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:24 pm
To the OP: there is definitely a market for custom scales other than for PM[23], Manix 2, and Endura.

For example, would love to have different scales for my Police 4. Or my Caribbean. Etc.
A Caribbean would be Kool with different scales. What would you think the thickness of the g10 should be before I trim it down. Or are there bad suppliers or anything special.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I wouldn't mind trying some custom scales on my Amalgam. I'm getting used to the carbon fiber laminate they used, but I'd prefer something more grippy.
ferider

Post by ferider »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:10 pm
A Caribbean would be Kool with different scales. What would you think the thickness of the g10 should be before I trim it down. Or are there bad suppliers or anything special.
Not sure. My stock scales are 0.15" thick. Doesn't matter so much, I guess, thick scales on the Manix 2 are only a problem because they hide access to the button.

Probably not the easiest knife to start with, as the scales need carve-outs for the liners and the lock. Knives like the Police 4 might be easier (scales are just flat).

Roland.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Deacon those scalloped/corrugated scales are beautiful and fit the knife perfectly! I would like to see FRN versions of those.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If someone can make scales like the D'Allara 2 uses (as in 3D sculpted and textured) for various models I'd buy a lot of them. For what guys are asking I just can't throw down the money to go from one plain slab of G10 to a different color slab of G10 or CF. The one thing I wish Spyderco did more of was machined scale textures and sculpted shapes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David