Shipping issues

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JonLeBlanc

Shipping issues

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Hello all, I guess this is the best place for this question, but has anyone ever had shipping issues with knife orders? By that I mean long delays or packages lost altogether etc, from retailers or secondary market sellers? If so, how was the issue resolved? I'm hoping that I'm not facing just such an issue but it's looking likely, and if so it's the fault of USPS :( I would hate to think that a knife that is now unavailable on the primary market is now lost to the nether edge of the cosmos... Thanks for your input!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Deacon

Re: Shipping issues

Post by The Deacon »

Over the past 15 years, I've purchased over 500 knives online, many new from dealer's websites, some from some from dealers on eBay, some from individuals on eBay and on other knife forums. All that were mailed got here eventually, almost all within the expected timeframe. Did have a few take rather leisurely tours of the USA, almost always due to a wrong or easily misread zipcode. Also had a couple coming in by mail from overseas held up for a month or so by US customs. On the other hand, while relatively few were shipped by UPS, two of those got lost in transit. One was replaced by the vendor, only to have the original one show up on my doorstep months later. That one got returned to the vendor. The other one that was lost by UPS, and one of only a handful ever shipped to me via FEDEX, never showed up.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I had one of many delayed by USPS but it arrived a few days late.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Thanks y'all for your input; yeah I'll be patient and I try to tell myself that it really is a miracle of technology and interconnectedness that we get mail and packages delivered at all, and I can of course forgive the odd slip up because hey things happen. However I have had to swear off a certain brown carrier because of too many simply egregious mistakes and a lack of acceptance of responsibility on their part, and I don't have a good feeling about this one since it hasn't moved at all for days and it's late already so...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Perhaps my expectations are lower than most, as I'm old enough to remember when "ordering" something meant seeing an ad printed in a magazine or paper catalog, mailing the order to the vendor, along with a check, then waiting weeks, sometimes months, for the item to arrive. No virtually instant confirmation the the order had been received by the vendor, no notice from them when it was shipped, no emails from UPS or the Post Office telling you when it would arrive. You couldn't even tell if the check had been cashed until you got your bank statement in the mail.
Paul
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:07 pm
Perhaps my expectations are lower than most, as I'm old enough to remember when "ordering" something meant seeing an ad printed in a magazine or paper catalog, mailing the order to the vendor, along with a check, then waiting weeks, sometimes months, for the item to arrive. No virtually instant confirmation the the order had been received by the vendor, no notice from them when it was shipped, no emails from UPS or the Post Office telling you when it would arrive. You couldn't even tell if the check had been cashed until you got your bank statement in the mail.
And that’s if you ever got to hear about things you may want in the first place! Print magazines and catalogues were vital resources then.

I don’t miss the lack of choice.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:22 am
Hello all, I guess this is the best place for this question, but has anyone ever had shipping issues with knife orders? By that I mean long delays or packages lost altogether etc, from retailers or secondary market sellers? If so, how was the issue resolved? I'm hoping that I'm not facing just such an issue but it's looking likely, and if so it's the fault of USPS :( I would hate to think that a knife that is now unavailable on the primary market is now lost to the nether edge of the cosmos... Thanks for your input!
In what part of the world are you located? In the USA most dealers ship with tracking that I use. Now that I have moved overseas, I have had two packages arrive here, get sent on, go around the globe, and then come back to me. USPS. Once it leaves the USA all bets are off.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Delete
Last edited by JonLeBlanc on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:27 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
In what part of the world are you located? In the USA most dealers ship with tracking that I use. Now that I have moved overseas, I have had two packages arrive here, get sent on, go around the globe, and then come back to me. USPS. Once it leaves the USA all bets are off.
I live in Louisiana. The knife is coming from California, and I just had to open a case on it with USPS. It's a 52100 Military that I bought off ebay from a seller with over 200 positive feedbacks, so I'm not worried about him, and he did ship it right away, the package is just stuck at the Los Angeles dist center and has been for days. It just kills me that a knife no longer available from retailers could be just lost to the world because someone at a post office screwed up. I mean I'd rather someone else have the knife than see it disappear. And it would be right at home with my PM2 and Para3 :(

The carriers all claim that they have over 95% on time fulfillment and everyone here says they don't have much trouble but I dunno, I get packages late and even lost ALLL THE TIME, like I said I can't use the brown one any more because they just can't get my business right.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Delete
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:10 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:
I live in Louisiana. The knife is coming from California, and I just had to open a case on it with USPS. It's a 52100 Military that I bought off ebay from a seller with over 200 positive feedbacks, so I'm not worried about him, and he did ship it right away, the package is just stuck at the Los Angeles dist center and has been for days. It just kills me that a knife no longer available from retailers could be just lost to the world because someone at a post office screwed up. I mean I'd rather someone else have the knife than see it disappear. And it would be right at home with my PM2 and Para3 :(

The carriers all claim that they have over 95% on time fulfillment and everyone here says they don't have much trouble but I dunno, I get packages late and even lost ALLL THE TIME, like I said I can't use the brown one any more because they just can't get my business right.
California. There you go.

The 52100 gray G10 is still available in your state at Knifeworks.com. I have been sorely tempted by this knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

USPS shipped out of California hub never failed to reach me. One through New York Jamaica delayed, and one lost. It (the lost one) contained PacSalt Black Serrated bought from Exchange over BF, that never came.

Checked with contacts in my country postal service, it never arrived at all. I took the loss as I knew this may happen and the seller had good feedback.

Since then I rarely bought anything from Exchange anymore, and understand why some sellers doesn’t want to deal with overseas shipping. All bought from stores directly had been ok, although sometimes delayed. Even items lost during shipment, the shop will usually cover it (as per their term of service).
Chris :spyder:
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

anagarika wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:39 am
USPS shipped out of California hub never failed to reach me. One through New York Jamaica delayed, and one lost. It (the lost one) contained PacSalt Black Serrated bought from Exchange over BF, that never came.

Checked with contacts in my country postal service, it never arrived at all. I took the loss as I knew this may happen and the seller had good feedback.

Since then I rarely bought anything from Exchange anymore, and understand why some sellers doesn’t want to deal with overseas shipping. All bought from stores directly had been ok, although sometimes delayed. Even items lost during shipment, the shop will usually cover it (as per their term of service).
You took the loss!? But you shouldn't have, needn't have! There's no way in **** I'm eating the cost of this knife... I've become a pro at recouping money from carriers and retailers because this happens to me ALL THE TIME, and I don't understand why. Why does no one else seem to have the problems with shipping that I do? I'm sorry if I'm whining but ****.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

If I resided in the US, I’d follow through with USPS myself.

Since I live overseas, such issue can be avoided with insurance or tracked delivery (which makes the shipping as much or more than the cost of the knife)
In some instances, it’s a gamble I take. Previously no shipment was lost even if delayed through Jamaica NY sorting facility.
Chris :spyder:
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:35 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:

California. There you go.

The 52100 gray G10 is still available in your state at Knifeworks.com. I have been sorely tempted by this knife.
I actually want to go to Knifeworks once they open their new showroom, it's supposed to be pretty awesome! And I do like that blade/color combo but I'm not too keen on the Manix in general. I just want my Military to complete my family! :(
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JonLeBlanc wrote:

I've found that, with one exception, the quality of service you receive from all carriers varies from place to place. As with any other business, it all depends on the staff and management. I've been lucky where the Post Office is concerned, I always lived in places where service was excellent but have heard horror stories in the past from folks living one town, or zipcode, away from me. UPS and Fedex have been mixed bags for me, both are better here in SC than they were in the last place I lived, but that's not saying much as both really sucked there. Still, neither has ever been as bad as DHL.
Paul
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Knock on wood, but I've had nothing but good fortune with USPS.
On high dollar items I always send Priority with Signature Confirmation. As far as coming to me, never a problem either.
Imo, USPS is the fastest and best. It's hard to beat USPS Priority.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:48 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:

I've found that, with one exception, the quality of service you receive from all carriers varies from place to place. As with any other business, it all depends on the staff and management. I've been lucky where the Post Office is concerned, I always lived in places where service was excellent but have heard horror stories in the past from folks living one town, or zipcode, away from me. UPS and Fedex have been mixed bags for me, both are better here in SC than they were in the last place I lived, but that's not saying much as both really sucked there. Still, neither has ever been as bad as DHL.
Oh, I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that DHL was the carrier most able to punch above it's weight? FedEx has had the least screw ups for me, the brown one has displayed truly colossal levels of incompetence in my experience, and USPS, well one gets what one pays for. I wish the seller had Fedex'd my knife to me :(
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

USPS is certainly the way to go imo.
Never had anything go wrong.
It's hard to imagine anything better than USPS priority for shipping a knife to someone across country. Gets there in 2 days most times. You really do get your money's worth with the postal service imo.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Well, my shipping issue was resolved today and my knife came in :) It's a 52100 Military, and yes I'm probably a pest on this forum about 52100 lol. I may be a weirdo but corrosion and wear resistance are utterly irrelevant to me, it's all about dat edge tho. I've got two PM2's, a Para3, and now a Military in that steel, so now my family is complete! Just like the 2 and 3, this Millie has a fine fine action and super finish. Never thought I'd hear myself say this but I can't wait to go to work now lol.