Disabled Knife Self Defense

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MichaelScott

Disabled Knife Self Defense

Post by MichaelScott »

Mike Jancich,
thank you for your serious and well stated approach to knife SD. From what I have read here and other places, training that puts various knife SD philosophies is focused on individuals that have all of their basic motor skills intact. But, I and some of the people I know are either elderly and disadvantaged in those activities and or inhibited by aids such as canes, walkers and wheelchairs. This, of course, makes us more vulnerable than others. My question is, are there basic techniques we can learn and adapt to our situations that while not as effective as full-on training, would provide definite advantages in SD situations?

Carrying a handgun will not always be an option and I am very concerned about accidentally shooting an innocent person if I had to use it to defend myself. Using my knife as a last ditch resort to stop a deadly threat whilst depending on my walker, for example, to keep me upright, would give me more comfort if I knew a few disabled-based skills. Any suggestions you may have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Evil D

Re: Disabled Knife Self Defense

Post by Evil D »

Can't speak for Mike but if I were in a chair I would absolutely have a good neck knife on me at all times. They're far easier to access from a sitting position than a folder and that translates into faster response time in SD.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I have to agree with D on the neck knife. Much quicker to put into action while sitting. I don't wear them often but this is one of the advantages and it's totally ambi.
James Y

Post by James Y »

One thing to be aware of, if you wear a neck knife (which you're probably already aware of) is to only wear one on a breakaway chain instead of paracord. That way, the 'necklace' it's hanging from can't be used against you as a garrote.

One thing I personally don't like about neck knives is that if your shirt is tucked, they're slower/more of a hassle to get to than a clipped folder.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Hey there Michael,

One of my instructors from Stockton, California, is disabled and uses a wheelchair or a stool to teach from. His name is Guro Carlito Bonjoc, and he is the founder of Mata Sa Bagyo (Eye Of The Storm). Carlito is a graduate of Grand Master Angel Cabales, who is a founder of Filipino martial arts in the United States.

Videos of him can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ito+Bonjoc

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Wow! Bonjoc is something to behold. In some ways, a chair may provide a psychological and perhaps positional advantage. Perhaps the end of this year, or early next, we will be in Northern California, a ways from Stockton. But I will see if there are any basic clinics that I could begin with in Colorado that would teach me tactics from a chair or walker.

Thanks, Naperville
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:26 pm
Wow! Bonjoc is something to behold. In some ways, a chair may provide a psychological and perhaps positional advantage. Perhaps the end of this year, or early next, we will be in Northern California, a ways from Stockton. But I will see if there are any basic clinics that I could begin with in Colorado that would teach me tactics from a chair or walker.

Thanks, Naperville
Carlito is around the Stockton / Lodi area, which is approx as far North as San Francisco, but it is inland. If you can, spend a couple of days training with him. There is a historical as well as a currency regarding his skill set. As I said, GM Angel Cabales was one of the founders of Serrada and Escrima in the USA. Carlito can do it all and has his own style and his own teaching methodology. When I first met Carlito, I was in tears. He is a decent human being.

There are books that you can buy on Cabales Serrada Escrima on Amazon, and Carlito is in them.

Have fun! May you never have to use a knife for self defense, but if you do, I hope that you have USCCA membership/insurance, I do.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:51 pm
Can't speak for Mike but if I were in a chair I would absolutely have a good neck knife on me at all times. They're far easier to access from a sitting position than a folder and that translates into faster response time in SD.
Good point. When you say good neck knife, would you consider something like the various neck knives from Cold Steel and Ontario to be decent, or would you prefer a higher-quality one that is more expensive?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Also: How can a person who is in a wheelchair or motorized wheelchair like vehicle make sure some violent punks don't try to knock them over and sabotage or steal the chair?

What are some good tactics you recommend?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:25 pm
Also: How can a person who is in a wheelchair or motorized wheelchair like vehicle make sure some violent punks don't try to knock them over and sabotage or steal the chair?

What are some good tactics you recommend?
Situational awareness is numero uno. I never asked Carlito if he carried a firearm, so I would not know. Come to think of it, I do not know if he carries a knife either, but he probably does. Stockton, California is home to Cabales Serrada and Bahala Na, as well as other Filipino martial arts schools, and I know for a fact almost everyone hangs out and knows each other and am almost 100% certain they all carry knives.

I say go to the source, and ask Carlito Bonjoc of "Mata Sa Bagyo." He is on Facebook, and I am sure he would answer that question.

If you decide to track him down on Facebook, tell him TOMMY sent you.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:23 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:51 pm
Good point. When you say good neck knife, would you consider something like the various neck knives from Cold Steel and Ontario to be decent, or would you prefer a higher-quality one that is more expensive?
Funny that you mention neck knife. I've been researching knives that could be used for a neck knife using Knife Center's "Find It" interface, and I am considering knives with blades from 3 inches all the way up to 4.5 inches. Depending on what you are wearing, a neck knife of 4.5 inches is entirely possible, especially in the Winter in the upper half of the US.

I already have a few "neck knives" and daggers with the appropriate sheath that could qualify as a neck knife.

I HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
- Bradford Guardian 4 M390 - Black G-10 - False Edge - Stonewashed
- Spartan Enyo Inside Waist Band/Neck Knife
- Spyderco Jumpmaster 2 Fixed 4.5" in H1 Serrated Leaf-Shaped Blade, Black FRN Handles
- Bradford Guardian 3, M390 - Black G-10 - False Edge - Stonewashed
- Bastinelli Creations, PiKa
- Les George Galvos Daggers CTS-XHP. (TWO) leather sheaths, (TWO) kydex sheaths.
- Gerber Strongarm BDZ-1
- Boker Besh Wedge (Bought two, and gave one to brother.)
- CRKT Columbia River 2010K Crawford Kasper Dragon Combat Knife 4.5"

THE FOLLOWING ALLOWS ME TO CARRY BOTH KNIVES SIMULTANEOUSLY
TWO - RMJ Tactical Raider Dagger
- BRT BLADEWORKS (Ben Tendick) Universal Blade Rigs
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I haven’t known any knife to defend itself let alone a disabled one, M4 will fight you a little but throwing rough stones at it helps.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Sorry I'm late to join this discussion...

In my approach to self-defense, I consider four "pillars" of ability: physical attributes (athleticism), skill, weapons, and attitude. These elements combine in a dynamic synergy to give you your overall fighting capability (one of my students compared them to an equalizer on a stereo, tuning various frequency ranges so the output always "sounds good").

When we're young and physically capable, we tend to be confident (often overly so) and don't need as much skill or a weapon to be potent. Ideally, over time we train to develop skills and increase that potency, so even as we age and our physical attributes diminish, we still maintain adequate combative capability. When we get to the point that unarmed physical skills are no longer adequate, we have to equalize the situation by relying on weapons and the skills to us them well.

The bottom line to all self-defense is having the ability to physically disable or stop an attacker. Dissuading him may work, but is not reliable. What you really want is the capability to cause disabling injury.

With that goal in mind, you need to look at your actual abilities--not disabilities. That means asking yourself some hard questions and giving honest answers. Do you have the mobility necessary to flee/escape? Can you hit or kick hard enough to stop an attacker? Do you have the grip, physical strength, and reflexes to wield a weapon? Can you draw a weapon quickly enough to get it into action? I you can carry a firearm, do you have the strength to work the slide of a semi-auto? Do you have the strength to squeeze the trigger of a double-action revolver reliably?

In my teaching, and particularly in my 11 seasons of work on "The Best Defense" TV series, I have pushed hard to embrace the idea of self-defense for everyone. Unlike many martial arts, which require specific physical attributes to perform techniques the same way as everyone else, I really focus on the "self" of self'defense. The body you live in right now is what you have to work with, so you need to be smart and make the best use of it. In some cases, that means adapting physical techniques to your individual range of motion and physicality. In others, it may mean accepting that some techniques and weapons are simply inappropriate for your needs.

The bottom line is that everyone's situation is very different. In season 10 of "The Best Defense," I had the honor of working with Trevor Baucom, a U.S. Army combat veteran and former helicopter pilot who was disabled in a serious helicopter crash (http://www.shootingusa.com/LATEST_UPDAT ... evor2.html). Though confined to a wheelchair, Trevor has an incredible warrior spirit and pushes his body to the limit to achieve everything he can with what he has. He explained to me, however, that even though different paraplegics may appear to be similarly disabled, the level of their spinal injuries has profound effect on their control over their core muscles and posture. Some techniques and tactics that might work for one person would be impossible for another, even though they appear to have the same disability. As such, there is no "one-size-fits-all" approach to self-defense for the physically challenged.

For this reason, the solution is much more involved than carrying a neck knife. Yes, a neck knife is easier to draw from a seated position and less complicated than drawing a folder. However, once it's out, does it actually have the destructive capacity to reliably disable an attacker (many neck knives are too small or have inadequate edge geometry to do this)? If so, do your personal skills and physical attributes support your ability to wield the knife well enough to defend yourself effectively? If you use mobility aids like a cane or walker, can you maintain your balance well enough without them to use the knife defensively? Can you use the cane itself as a weapon, or do your individual mobility challenges make that impractical? If you are confined to a seated position, do you have knife tactics that work well enough to disable a standing attacker?

I have actually done a lot of work on this topic and have had many MBC students come to me for personalized training geared toward their individual physical limitations. For some, we've adapted knife technique to git their abilities. For others, I've taught them my Martial Cane Concepts system of cane-based self-defense. I have also encouraged all of them to carry and train with pepper spray so they have a non-lethal first line of defense that gives them the benefit of distance. And, I've worked with many of them on gun selection and shooting methods that fit their strength levels and the realities of aging vision. Although the process and self-assessment questions for all of them was the same, the answers were always very different and very personalized.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

That all makes terrific sense. Thank you for posting, Michael (J).

Perhaps a sword stick would be worth investigating for Michael (OP). I’ve come across a few over the years and they can be hard to identify until unsheathed.

Nontron (France) do a lovely walking staff with a bushcraft type blade in the handle (or did when I last visited, to see the factory and town hall knife museum).
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks for posting, Cristin. I believe in many jurisdictions the sword and knife cane are illegal.

I appreciate Michael J’s thoughtful and detailed response. It all makes good sense to me. Since the conditions of disability are so varied as are the requirements of various state and local laws regarding weapons,I have to respond relative to my personal situation. I will be as brief as I can.

I read and re-read Mr. Janich’s post. There is much to consider. Putting it into my own situation these are the constraints and advantages I think I have, and will have. In Colorado, I have and often carry a 9mm handgun with which I have trained and am very familiar. Handguns, however are not the answer in all cases. I think no one, however thoroughly trained (John Wick excepted of curse) can count on reliably hitting the target in adrenaline charged SD situations. If the situation is such that innocent people can be involved, a handgun, for me, is a poor and unacceptable choice for SD. I would not fire in such a situation. Period.

In California, where I expect to be sometime this year, my chances of getting a concealed carry permit are next to zero.

These days when venturing outside I depend on a walker. Previously it was a wheelchair, and probably will be once again as my cancer progresses. I do not have the stability to depend on countering an attack while standing alone. Perhaps initially, but I would quickly be down, which might or might not be a problem. In fact, that might be a component of a defense strategy. Not being trained in that I really don’t know.

In a wheelchair or with a walker, the variables are many. Certainly though any violent confrontations will be up close and personal. I think that at least some basic training and practice in how to deal with those scenarios are necessary. It is up to me, and others in similar conditions, to find a qualified trainer and acquire those basics.

Team Innovation
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Carlito Bonjoc
https://www.facebook.com/carlito.bonjoc

Mata Sa Bagyo
https://www.bagyo.net/

Tell Carlito you want to concentrate on the knife as a weapon.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thank you, sir.

Team Innovation
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

My Father used to train the British police in SD back in the 60's and 70's he taught me a little bit not that I have ever used it. One thing I noticed with the wheel chair guy is no one is circling to get behind him. He would have to put is left arm down to turn the wheel opening himself up to attack. I can't help think it's all bunk.

The problem with a knife is you need the speed and ferocity to use it. Kinda like a gun it's who pulls the trigger first as it's not uncommon for even professional knife fighters to be stabbed before they can get their knife out. I think that's why older Gentlemen used to carry a cane swords. It would give you the extra reach needed and you can use the wood sheath to also block attacks. But cane swords are highly illegal in some parts of the world.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Regarding Guro Carlito Bonjoc,

Carlito has been around since, forever. He was a graduate of the FOUNDER of Filipino martial arts(FMA) in the United States, GM Angel Cabales. Carlito was given special attention by Mr Cabales because Carlito wanted to be able to teach Escrima and he asked to be taught what he needed to learn in order to break down martial arts so as to teach it.

I did not speak often with Carlito abt his health problems but I think that he was born with spina bifida, and as his condition became worse, he took to walking with crutches and finally a wheelchair. As far as I know, Carlito is the highest ranking disabled Filipino martial artist on the globe, and he has dealt with his disability from birth. I am sure that the statement, "One thing I noticed with the wheel chair guy is no one is circling to get behind him. He would have to put is left arm down to turn the wheel opening himself up to attack. I can't help think it's all bunk." would be taken in stride, and he would tell you what the best way to approach the situation is. I would not sell Carlito Bonjoc short. He's pretty tough, ask him anything.

Videos on GM Angel Cabales:
https://youtu.be/X8gFjY7 ... 643448DEFF

Here is Carlito before he was wheelchair bound:
https://youtu.be/-UDU6zFMHLw

Books on Cabales Serrada Escrima, which Carlito is in.
https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Cabales- ... 804831815/
https://www.amazon.com/Filipino-Martial ... 804819130/

I've always been a fan of Michael Janich and I am sure that he or any martial artist at his rank and level of knowledge could teach anyone. All that I am saying is to ask a guy who lives in a disabled body (situation) day-in and day-out, what he would do. He's not a gimmick. He's BADASS.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Naperville:

I appreciate and respect your recommendation of Guro Bonjoc. My FMA training focused heavily on Serrada Eskrima (with Guro John Lau in Hawaii, who studied with Jimmy Tacosa, one of the other first-generation students of GM Cabales). Guro Bonjoc is clearly very skilled, has impeccable martial arts credentials, and, as a physically challenged individual, has insight into self-defense for the physically challenged that I will never have. Anyone who has the opportunity to train with Guro Bonjoc would benefit greatly from it and I encourage them to do so.

With all that said, martial arts are not always the shortest path to viable self-defense capability. I still believe that assessing your personal situation and your individual abilities is the best way to chart the shortest, most logical path to viable self-defense capability.

Stay safe,

Mike