PC Immersion Cooling

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

PC Immersion Cooling

Post by Evil D »

Have a look at the future folks. It's gonna suck having to drain the fluid just to change parts but the advantage in cooling is unreal.

https://youtu.be/YyKIZPuepl8
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
flasharry

Re: PC Immersion Cooling

Post by flasharry »

Heh.. Everything old is new again.. First saw something like this for home PC's back in 2006, I think. There was an outfit selling immersion cooled overclocked gaming PC's.. IBM had a paper on liquid immersion cooling in 1966 and Cray had a patent for it in 1982, which led to their T90 supercomputer with liquid-liquid heat exchangers and immersion cooling. Had a chance to see one in action in the mid 80's..
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Yep, this is pretty old tech. You can do it yourself. Mineral oil, refrigerate it and bam! Instant cooling! Takes a bit to set up, and it's a pain to maintain.

I personally never have gotten into liquid cooling. I don't overclock, but I do use a cooler master evo 212 cpu cooler, and 3 or 4 120mm fans! Keeps my Temps down well.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Yeah - the Evo 212 and good case air flow is a good setup......
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Or buy a Mac and only ever hear the fan kick in once every blue moon :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Yep, it's not new tech, probably a decade old, but not too many are doing it.

My PC is 6+ yrs old, a Dell Alienware Area 51 w 6-cores, 16GB of RAM and water cooled. I remember seeing this technology back when I bought my system on Overclocker.

This looks like an early system:
https://youtu.be/tUBvWXH1hLs
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
awa54

Post by awa54 »

My AMD FX-8120 is running at lower temps than it did with the stock cooler while being overcooked at 3.8GHz, on air (Arctic Freezer Extreme)... while immersion and liquid nitrogen are awesome for breaking core speed records, actual stable O/C often doesn't even require liquid cooling. The overclocking records are pretty amazing though, a bunch of older FX series CPUs have flirted with 10GHz!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, first I've seen of it. Most tech is trickle down so it's still probably years away from being a reality. It was the same with water cooling and now you can get AIO setups for relatively cheap.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This is fascinating and thank you for posting it.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

yay i finally found my nerd peeps. and its a spyderco forum. awesome.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Nerds? Man I went to college for programming! Needless to say, getting a job was not easy, and after years I gave up and became an electrician. I still do computer work (built and run a website for a car dealer in Memphis, built a buddy's website when he had a computer business, other various sites for people, etc) and I build and maintain my family's computers. Mine is about 10 years old now, but with a few upgrades it has stayed relevent. Using quality parts in the first place helps, added the afore mentioned CPU cooler, upgraded graphics card, still need to put in more ram but, eh, 8 gigs has been plenty. Found a little shop downtown where I live and they had a bunch of hard drives laying out for sale...40 bucks got 2 1 TB Samsung drives and I put them in mine and my wifes computers.

I keep thinking about building a new one, or getting a new mobo and processor, but like i said mines been fine for 10 years. I can play Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous and many other games, so I'm good!

on top of that...guitar, my knives, working on cars...I do all kinds of stuff. I hate yard work but just planted some tomatoes, bell peppers, coolapenos (jalapenos without the heat...wife cant stand spicy!), onions, chives, dill, oregano, and lavender. Still have to build a roof over our deck...never ends!

anyway...im done!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:35 am
Depends on what you do with it. I'm a big mac fan (I've owned apples since the early 80's and only went to a PC twice during that time, always coming back to apple), but I definitely get my Macs hot every now and then. Video rendering (I do a lot of that for work) and cryptocurrency serving both give me very hot cases.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:08 am
yay i finally found my nerd peeps. and its a spyderco forum. awesome.
Pic from the start of a 35 year career in IT - the tradition of staring at a screen when something is toast is a long standing one..
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:24 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:35 am
Depends on what you do with it. I'm a big mac fan (I've owned apples since the early 80's and only went to a PC twice during that time, always coming back to apple), but I definitely get my Macs hot every now and then. Video rendering (I do a lot of that for work) and cryptocurrency serving both give me very hot cases.
True that. However, during "casual" office/home use it's usually Adobe Flash only that is capable of making the fan kick in audibly :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:59 pm
True that. However, during "casual" office/home use it's usually Adobe Flash only that is capable of making the fan kick in audibly :)
Not sure and could be wrong but I think most of the fan noise that I hear is from my Nvidia 980 GTX video card. I could have opted for 4, choose to have just one, and it's still noisy.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm still waiting for them to get more optical stuff going in computers.

About 20 years ago, they thought it would take 10 years to make an optical computer and it would speed it up by about 10 times.

It should be interesting where it goes, we're getting pretty close to zero die size... It will become more difficult to keep making advances.

Did you ever see how close phone processors are benchmarking compared to desktop processors now? I think advances are going to be made on power draw versus computing power.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!