Lanskey sharpener

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Cowboyfromhell

Lanskey sharpener

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Any of the forum members ever use a lansky sharpening stone? Any good ?....
TazKristi

Re: Lanskey sharpener

Post by TazKristi »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 pm
Hi, Cowboyfromhell:
I can't answer your question but wanted to let you know I'm moving your thread to our Off-Topic section since it's not about a Spyderco product. I'm sure other members will be able to answer your question.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I hate I'm not able to answer your question.
But, I will say the Spyderco SharpMaker is mighty, mighty, fine.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Cowboy, I persevered with a Lansky for about a decade. You can certainly achieve excellent results with shorter blades but the clamping system makes it fiddly and quite often frustrating trying to clamp FFG blades with distal tapers.

I think it has several down sides that seem inherent to sharpening systems that utilise a clamp to hold the blade. Repeat ability being one and bevel angles are guesswork. I also found hones where often dished, bowed or twisted too. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

For the money I think they are great, they aren’t the best thing going but they work and you can get into a set of guided diamond stones very cheaply.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Depends on which lansky you're talking about. The turn box is a good, cheap alternative to the sharpmaker, good travel size. I use it at work and get great results.

The guided system is great! Although it has limitations and can be fiddly. What I do is I'll use it to put an edge on a knife, and then use the sharpmaker for the microbevel and touch ups. When it comes time to do a full sharpening again, I get the blade as close as possible to the angle I used before, go through all grits, then again use the sharpmaker. I get hair whittling edges like this! Seriously scary sharp. I'm still learning but I'm getting better all the time.
I also use a protractor app on my phone to get the angle I want. The ones stamped on the clamps aren't accurate unless you set the clamp up precisely, and that doesn't always happen. Just use a protractor and get as close as possible. Works great!
Some blade grinds don't play well with the lansky... I just got a set of diamond rods for my sharpmaker, and they work really well! So I have options.
And diamond hones... I have the extra coarse and coarse for the lansky. I really like them.

So, it's not a perfect system, but you can get great results with it. But I like using it with other systems to get the best results I can. And of course using the sharpmaker to keep blades super sharp... Imo it's a no brainer. Cheap, great results if a little fiddly... Some mods you can do to make it better. I'll see if I can post some links later to show you.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/some- ... avy.98802/

there are many threads about lansky tips, but this one helped me the most! check it out.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Lansky has produced some sharpening tools that I personally own and use and have had good results with. But to be up front none of Lansky's sharpening tools compare with Spyderco's 204 Sharpmaker kit. If you want to skip all the comparisons and experimentation of using a wide array of different sharpening tools then I highly encourage you to invest you money in a Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker. However there is one caviat to that>> to get optimal results you should also get the extra stones you can by along with the bare bones 204 Sharpmaker kit. You can also get the diamond rods and the CBN as well as their great Ultra-Fine set of stones to go with the kit.

You really don't do the kit justice until you have the entire set up. Oh you can get some decent results and enough to get by with by only using the 2 sets of stones that come with the 204 unit>> but you won't have the versatility you would desire until you get all the rest of the rods and stones that are available for it.

Also be sure to check out Spyderco's other great sharpening tools. If you are lucky enough to find a set of the Spyderco 701 Profiles I highly encourage you to get a set of those. It's incredible what all you can do with the 701 Profiles particularly with serrated and Spyderedged blades. Oh by the way :) Welcome to the Spyderco Forum :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you search this forum there has been quite a lot of discussion about their clamp setup. I used it for years until I got sick of clamp based sharpeners. I bought an Edge Pro and never looked back. I use a Sharpmaker for touch ups.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 pm
I bought a Lansky Diamond set decades ago to sharpen my MISSION titanium knives and also use the sharpening kit for other knives.
I have years of experience with the Lansky and the kit is ecxellent - go ahead and buy one, if you are tempted.
The Lansky sharpeners are excellent for he/she just embarking on the whole sharpening thing but also fine for the more experienced user.
That being said, the old tried and true Lansky has taken a backseat to for example the excellent Spyderco sharpeners. It all depends on your needs and preferences. The Lansky kits are dirt cheap but you cant go wrong with either per se but need to do your homework, as you are doing by for example asking here.
These days, I mostly sharpen freehand but do use a sharpening kit for a very dull or damaged edge before turning to freehand sharpening.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

One thing about the guided lansky... Clamp your blade, and use a level and protractor to verify angles. I'm working on my Kershaw Bareknuckle right now, and have it set for 15 degrees per side so it will match up with the sharpmaker. I do have the diamond rods for the sharpmaker, and they will come into play later when maintaining the edge, but the lansky is so much faster at reprofiling. Especially with how far off 15 degrees the Kershaw was!

I started last night, and did some today. I basically only sharpen when the toddler goes to sleep... Lol and I try to stay quiet. I could have been done in an hour or so however.
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

I used one for years.

1) Get the diamond stones
2) Make sure everything from the rods to the stones is 100% straight. I my first set of stones had a slight warp and I was getting terrible results. The system only works properly if everything is perfectly straight

I find the Lansky is great for if you have a extremely dull knife or chips in the blade as you can remove a lot of material quickly. Where it sucks and a Sharp Maker rocks is basic maintenance and touch ups.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

cbrstar wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:53 pm
I used one for years.

1) Get the diamond stones
2) Make sure everything from the rods to the stones is 100% straight. I my first set of stones had a slight warp and I was getting terrible results. The system only works properly if everything is perfectly straight

I find the Lansky is great for if you have a extremely dull knife or chips in the blade as you can remove a lot of material quickly. Where it sucks and a Sharp Maker rocks is basic maintenance and touch ups.
Lansky to set the bevel, sharpmaker to keep it good. :D
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I've used the Lansky system before and got some success with smaller length pocket knife blades; however, I had issues with larger knives, whether they be fixed blades or folders. Perhaps it's me, but I couldn't find consistency with the Lansky and grew tired of clamping, reclamping, clamping, and reclamping while trying to achieve a consistent edge. In fact, on the one fixed blade knife that I couldn't do anything with on the Lansky, I actually got far better and more efficient results sharpening it free-handed on a regular bench stone... and, I do poorly when it comes to free-hand sharpening on a bench stone.

Anyway, Lansky is a good sharpening system, but I'm going to stay with my Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker and the bench stone I have for my sharpening needs. :)
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There are really 3 major problems with the Lansky..

1) The clamp. If you clamp in a slightly different place you get a different angle. It's also problematic on FFG blades and nevermind a double edge blade or anything like the Breeden that has a prominent swedge.

2. Stones that come warped. Pretty much every stone I've had needed lapped. This isn't the end of the world until you realize that different stone thickness means different angles. Stones will eventually need lapped and over time will get thinner. This brings us to..

3. Lack of angle options and no simple way to compensate for angle issues like stone thickness. I had toyed with deliberately clamping in different places, closer to the edge or further away for example, to manipulate the angle that the stone hits the edge. This can work but it's so tedious and after a while just isn't worth the hassle. I honestly find it easier to reprofile on the Sharpmaker if I have the right stones and/or sandpaper.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David