Road Trip Safety: What are your advices/recommendations?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Road Trip Safety: What are your advices/recommendations?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Regardless of the country, state, and locale you are in (though each place and nation and area has its own dangers and also upsides), what are good tips and advice you recommend to people who are travelling in cars, trucks, recreational vehicles, whether it is for long-term as in weeks and months, or even for short-term road trips?

It has been mentioned and I read that some American/US states do not allow people to sleep in their vehicles in designated rest areas/rest stops for more than a few hours, though some states allow people to do so overnight. Here are some websites I found that mentions this:

https://www.careersingear.com/blog/stat ... reas-10210

https://www.nonforceddispatch.com/tips- ... ruck-stops

The second one has tips and advice as well for travellers.

People on the forum have mentioned close-call situations in such places and I am sure many of you have heard or may have even had experiences with rest areas and rest stops.

Also, what are your opinions of hitch hiking in the modern world? There was a time when it was very common, I have heard that for the USA that was back in the 1920s to 1960s and then in the 1970s it began to grow steadilly more dangerous, and there were also more laws against it enforced for various reasons. I have heard there were always dangers such as violent and insane people out there, both hitch hikers and also people in vehicles stalking hitch hikers.

For a road trip, would you recommend that if the person is sleeping in their vehicle in a parking lot or rest area, they definitely keep tools and weapons such as a good knife/knives and even larger items, within legal limits, such as a good solid tomahawk, in case some violent attacker tries to harass them ?

I don't know how real this claim was or if the person was trying to "pull my leg" but a trucker once told me he was in his truck drinking some coffee ad listening to the radio, when he hears someone knock at the door. He turned to see a half-naked woman trying to get into the truck and he told her to get off the side of the truck. He then said she tried to lure him out of the truck and he refused, and began to honk the horn loudly. Next thing he knows, he sees the woman running off, with two or three very rough-looking guys and from his mirror it looked like one of them had a metal pipe or a cane. I asked him "What do you think was going on?" and he said he thought the woman was going to lure him away from his truck and then the men would have clubbed him over the head and made off with his truck or something like that.
Evil D

Re: Road Trip Safety: What are your advices/recommendations?

Post by Evil D »

I always pack a tool kit and I've needed to use it many times. One often overlooked detail (as in practically every time) is checking the air pressure in your spare tire. Most people have never used theirs and when the time comes it has lost enough air that it isn't safe to drive on. Either check it yourself or if you have your tires rotated or new ones installed have the tire shop check it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:11 pm
I always pack a tool kit and I've needed to use it many times. One often overlooked detail (as in practically every time) is checking the air pressure in your spare tire. Most people have never used theirs and when the time comes it has lost enough air that it isn't safe to drive on. Either check it yourself or if you have your tires rotated or new ones installed have the tire shop check it.
I am glad you mentioned this and I believe that is definitely a very under-checked area.

When it comes to pressure-gauges are there any brands you recommend? There are so many on the market now, some made from mostly plastic and others metal components.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:14 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:11 pm
I am glad you mentioned this and I believe that is definitely a very under-checked area.

When it comes to pressure-gauges are there any brands you recommend? There are so many on the market now, some made from mostly plastic and others metal components.

Honestly we use the cheapos from Harbor Freight. If it were a racing application where tire pressure was truly critical then I'd splurge for something digital but for a common passenger car any will do. The VAST majority of people on the road right now are under inflated anyway so being close is better than where they're at any other time.
Last edited by Evil D on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:06 pm
Regardless of the country, state, and locale you are in (though each place and nation and area has its own dangers and also upsides), what are good tips and advice you recommend to people who are travelling in cars, trucks, recreational vehicles, whether it is for long-term as in weeks and months, or even for short-term road trips?

It has been mentioned and I read that some American/US states do not allow people to sleep in their vehicles in designated rest areas/rest stops for more than a few hours, though some states allow people to do so overnight. Here are some websites I found that mentions this:

https://www.careersingear.com/blog/stat ... reas-10210

https://www.nonforceddispatch.com/tips- ... ruck-stops

The second one has tips and advice as well for travellers.

People on the forum have mentioned close-call situations in such places and I am sure many of you have heard or may have even had experiences with rest areas and rest stops.

Also, what are your opinions of hitch hiking in the modern world? There was a time when it was very common, I have heard that for the USA that was back in the 1920s to 1960s and then in the 1970s it began to grow steadilly more dangerous, and there were also more laws against it enforced for various reasons. I have heard there were always dangers such as violent and insane people out there, both hitch hikers and also people in vehicles stalking hitch hikers.

For a road trip, would you recommend that if the person is sleeping in their vehicle in a parking lot or rest area, they definitely keep tools and weapons such as a good knife/knives and even larger items, within legal limits, such as a good solid tomahawk, in case some violent attacker tries to harass them ?

I don't know how real this claim was or if the person was trying to "pull my leg" but a trucker once told me he was in his truck drinking some coffee ad listening to the radio, when he hears someone knock at the door. He turned to see a half-naked woman trying to get into the truck and he told her to get off the side of the truck. He then said she tried to lure him out of the truck and he refused, and began to honk the horn loudly. Next thing he knows, he sees the woman running off, with two or three very rough-looking guys and from his mirror it looked like one of them had a metal pipe or a cane. I asked him "What do you think was going on?" and he said he thought the woman was going to lure him away from his truck and then the men would have clubbed him over the head and made off with his truck or something like that.

Have traveled over 50000 miles on 11 trips across the states (mostly using 40 and 20 as arteries ) since 2012 towing a 35 foot triple axle toy hauler! Have passed through many states and have rested /slept in official rests stops, picnic areas, off ramps, gas stations (mostly big travel sites like Loves and TA ) , eateries, shopping centers, and Walmart parking lots! Seen fights, domestic violence, vandalism, car chases, accidents, theft, and just about everything else you can think of.

That being said. ..using common sense and life experience. ..I've never felt afraid for the safety of my family and friends traveling with me. I've met loads of great people "on the road" and have absolutely enjoyed the trips..including GETTING to my destination! Each state has its own beauty (some more then others :) ) and I love every mile..unless I'm sitting in TRAFFIC!

Remember, On the major Interstates, The trucks rule the road! Watch the weather, Plan your gas /diesel stops, Drive according to the conditions, And know your route so you don't get lost. Also , As much as possible, Refuel , Sleep, and eat in well traveled high volume areas. Make sure your vehicle license(drivers too) is up to date, Plate well lit, Car /Truck /RV mechanically sound, And all indicator lights are working properly!

Let your credit union/bank know exactly which states (and when) your traveling in so your card won't get turned off into your trip. If you don't plan on using cash...make sure you use the Credit Card option (not ATM/cash card) when purchasing fuel, Food, Gifts, etc. Always get a receipt (when possible ) for your purchases and try to monitor your account daily to make sure your card number didn’t get scammed!

Have fun and be safe!

James
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

It all depends on how you are traveling. I'm in Canada so it might be different

1) Walmarts will allow you to camp out at any of their parking lots overnight.
2) If you plan on sleeping in your car don't drink. If your keys are in your pocket you can still get charged with a DUI in some places. In fact it might be best to store your keys in your glove box.
3) Keep a stash of cash as a emergency fund hidden on your person. Enough to get home if you loose your wallet and are stuck somewhere for a few days.
4) Have full insurance on your vehicle. I once crashed my motorcycle on vacation and it was a COMPLETE GONG show getting home! I should have had insurance on the bike. In the end it cost me more to get home then the insurance.
5) Be aware of your surroundings. Always assume the worst out of people, especially people who are "too nice" right away.
6) Putting a chair under the door handle in a cheap motel is always a great idea.
7) Make sure you're armed
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I don’t travel any distance without a Safety Seal puncture repair kit nowadays. Brilliant.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

These are all good tips. I always park in well lit spots where I can see around me. I carry extra food, like a can of Spam and individual packs of crackers and water, in case of a break down in the middle of nowhere.

In the States I carry a weapon of some kind. One night, though I had a handgun concealed, there were some rough looking sorts standing outside of a motel room I rented. The motel mainly served truckers, which are normally a decent sort. Well, these guys were seedy. I got out of my car and they were obviously sizing me up, but I pulled a short barreled 12 gauge double out and carried it into my motel room, locked the door, put a chair under the door knob, and suddenly realized that those rowdy people decided to be somewhere else. All was quiet. I made no show, I was just unpacking my car. I am sure they meant me harm, but it is amazing what a 12 gauge will do for the peace of the environment.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I used to carry things like a tow strap, tire repair kit, extra fan belt and always water in the trunk. When up north in winter I'd expand to extra blankets, camp stove,small camp pot and pan set and things like that. Much of that stuff would be in a back pack in case I had to walk. That pack was a standard BOB type thing. After serving in the army the one thing I never would do without was the small shovel, axe and mini pick. Items we called "pioneer tools" in the military which every tactical vehicle had assigned to it when traveling or down range.

I also had stuff like a large bolt cutter for cutting locks, spools of wire, twine, and duct tape, and a slim jim which I had learned how to use when I had a job towing cars. Thinking about it now much of the things I carried could have been called "burglary tools" and got me in trouble in some locations. I always kept a low profile and then as now it would be a rare thing indeed to see me breaking any laws so I rarely encountered police much less was searched by them. I include it only as something to think about.

Joe
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:14 pm
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
markg

Post by markg »

Some Walmarts allow overnight parking but not all. This is mostly for trucks or RV's, and you are to ask the manager before hand. You can check this out on Youtube a few RV'ers have made videos on the subject.

Myself, I would avoid traveling the country and sleeping in my car, too much can go wrong here. From violent attacks to hassled by LEO or property owners. Yes you can do it, but there are other options. Depending on time of the year, have you considered tent camping at various campgrounds? There are pretty plentiful and you could easily plan a trip around them. Taking a trip is to get away from stress, trying to do it all by sleeping in your car just seems to be adding the stress you are trying to avoid.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Carry a bazooka. It doesn't have to be loaded as no one will know and no one will interrupt your travel. If they do, Para 3.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: