Knife laws in France, Italy and Spain

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
white cloud

Knife laws in France, Italy and Spain

Post by white cloud »

My wife and I are traveling to France, Italy and Spain this summer. Does anyone know what the laws are regarding carrying a pocket knife?

Thanks in advance for reading this.
Peter1960

Re: Knife laws in France, Italy and Spain

Post by Peter1960 »

Not the best countries for travelling with knives. Here you have a good overview and also detailed information - https://knife-blog.com/2017/06/messer-im-urlaub/ (if you don't understand German use a translator) :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Peter, do you think if a tourist were using one of the locally-produced knives, such as a Spanish Navaja, or, a French Opinel, for say, picnic making, like sandwiches and bread and the like, they would not likely have a problem?
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

Thank you Peter. That was most helpful.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:30 pm
Peter, do you think if a tourist were using one of the locally-produced knives, such as a Spanish Navaja, or, a French Opinel, for say, picnic making, like sandwiches and bread and the like, they would not likely have a problem?
SEF, I think one day you would have a big problem ... the day you don't have a question. :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
NicoColt1911

Post by NicoColt1911 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:30 pm
In all of these countries it totally depends where you go. As soon as you enter bigger cities / tourist hotspots be prepared that they might enforce knife laws. Especially France has rather strict security checks at sights, especially after a terrorist attack. Generally speaking they have a lot more police and soldiers on the streets than some years ago. These guys usually have no interest in giving tourists a hard time but - well, one should treat them with respect.

Some years ago I carried all kinds of knives in France and Italy alike and never had a problem but in this climate I'd suggest buying a SAK. Opinels bigger then No. 5 have a locking mechanism what makes them not legal to carry in France. At rural neighborhoods you will probably still be fine but I wouldn't take chances. Whenever I travel nowadays I carry a Victorninox Evolution. If you want to be extra sure take a model with classic red scales. These knives are well known in all EU countries and generally don't cause much hassle. They should be legal nearly everywhere. They are also relatively cheap here. It always sucks if you have to dump a knife but losing a 15€ Spartan isn't as bad as a 50€ Roadie...

Last tip: If you can stash your knife in your wife's handbag. Police will usually have less problems with a woman carrying a knife in her handbag than man having it in his pocket.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Just a SAK has prevented me from being allowed into historic buildings in France and Italy.
James Y

Post by James Y »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:35 am
Just a SAK has prevented me from being allowed into historic buildings in France and Italy.
I can kind of understand the reason for that. I remember several years ago, hearing a news story about some woman who pulled out a "pocketknife" and slashed up a valuable painting in some museum. IIRC, it was somewhere in the eastern US or Europe, and the woman was from China.

Jim
NicoColt1911

Post by NicoColt1911 »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Yes. Some sights have a pretty high "security" standard / have very strict security. That's why I hinted at the price. I personally "got rid" of a Victorinox Spartan during my last trip to France. It cost me about 8€ so the loss is bearable and rather small compared to some of the entry / parking fees (not to mention the stress I could have with my gf for "ruining" our visit because of a stupid knife :D). But still, as a knife guy it sucks to give up a perfectly good knife.

PS: For the sake of all of us I sincerely hope that the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral was an accident.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

NicoColt1911 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:10 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Yes. Some sights have a pretty high "security" standard / have very strict security. That's why I hinted at the price. I personally "got rid" of a Victorinox Spartan during my last trip to France. It cost me about 8€ so the loss is bearable and rather small compared to some of the entry / parking fees (not to mention the stress I could have with my gf for "ruining" our visit because of a stupid knife :D). But still, as a knife guy it sucks to give up a perfectly good knife.

PS: For the sake of all of us I sincerely hope that the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral was an accident.

Looks terrible. Spire and roof gone. The cathedral was scaffolded so works were clearly ongoing. Plenty of hot works with lead roofing and rainwater goods ......
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

NicoColt1911 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:24 pm
In all of these countries it totally depends where you go. As soon as you enter bigger cities / tourist hotspots be prepared that they might enforce knife laws. Especially France has rather strict security checks at sights, especially after a terrorist attack. Generally speaking they have a lot more police and soldiers on the streets than some years ago. These guys usually have no interest in giving tourists a hard time but - well, one should treat them with respect.

Some years ago I carried all kinds of knives in France and Italy alike and never had a problem but in this climate I'd suggest buying a SAK. Opinels bigger then No. 5 have a locking mechanism what makes them not legal to carry in France. At rural neighborhoods you will probably still be fine but I wouldn't take chances. Whenever I travel nowadays I carry a Victorninox Evolution. If you want to be extra sure take a model with classic red scales. These knives are well known in all EU countries and generally don't cause much hassle. They should be legal nearly everywhere. They are also relatively cheap here. It always sucks if you have to dump a knife but losing a 15€ Spartan isn't as bad as a 50€ Roadie...

Last tip: If you can stash your knife in your wife's handbag. Police will usually have less problems with a woman carrying a knife in her handbag than man having it in his pocket.
ChrisinHove wrote: Just a SAK has prevented me from being allowed into historic buildings in France and Italy.

mostly the same in Spain :( Carry a SAK at most, use it discreetly
the Sagrada Familia and other key places have metal detectors and do not allow any knife or sharp instrument inside