What are these imbeciles thinking?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bloke

What are these imbeciles thinking?

Post by Bloke »

This was on National News here tonight.

Words fail me! :mad:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.9ne ... 5a9738ac4b
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Daveho

Re: What are these imbeciles thinking?

Post by Daveho »

I hate the skippy bastards but they deserve better than that.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

"Petting zoos" are usually terrible for the animals and for the human patrons' view of nature. There are exceptions, but that sure wasn't one of them!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

People are messed up. In America you can own exotic animals in many states and a few states don't even require permits. This documentary messed me up. So sad! Lions, bears, baboons and freaking nile crocodiles. What kind of nut buys a crocodile? Sadly these animals usually meet an ugly end when their owners realize they cannot care for them. Unfortunately some people are ugly creatures and some are just plain stupid.

https://youtu.be/i4Yr11o2TaI

I hunt, fish and have raised some of my own animals for food. That said, you need to have respect for other living things.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The human race is by far the worst species out there. Sucks to admit, but it's true.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:46 pm
The human race is by far the worst species out there. Sucks to admit, but it's true.
If you judge us by the worst that humanity has to offer then yes. If you judge us by the best that humanity has to offer then not even close. There are lots of good people doing lots of good things.

It is easy to focus on the bad but we have also done many wonderful things and I like to think that we learn to be better a little each day. In america we have cut the number of stray animals euthanized each year drastically. From 2.6 million in 2011 to 1.5 million currently. This is due to awareness and education. As Sal has said, if people knew better they would do better.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

People seem to gravitate to the worst examples these days, then extrapolate from there. There is more good than bad in this world.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:26 am
This was on National News here tonight.

Words fail me! :mad:
They weren't thinking! :(

James
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My grandfather spent his later years as a caretaker on a farm full of petting zoo type animals, everything from Clydesdale horses to camels and llamas. They certainly are not all bad for the animals, he cared for them like you would your own dog.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

There are a few things I can’t fathom on this and I can’t help but wonder how does a Roo and a Kookaburra end up in the US in the first place? :confused:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My bad, I get like that at times when it comes to animals. Big animal lover here. Seeing things like that just make me boil inside. Thinking of the mass deforestisation, over population running animals out of their natural habitat, people not spay and neutering their pets...all man made problems that negatively affect animals.

But yes, I do know that we also do a lot of good as well. Thats a great stat you mentioned Darby. Very promising.

David, that's great to hear about your grandfather. We have a nice petting zoo that popped up a few years ago that we've been to quite a bit with my stepdaughter, always a great experience.

Sorry to bash on us like that fellas, I just have a huge soft spot for the innocent critters :)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:39 pm
There are a few things I can’t fathom on this and I can’t help but wonder how does a Roo and a Kookaburra end up in the US in the first place? :confused:

If I had to guess I'd say someone local (on your side) is selling them. It has to be done similarly as any other exotic animal or bird.
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

One HUGE problem I have with Americans owning exotic animals (often smuggled) is that when they get tired of them or they get too big to handle, they let them loose in the wild where they do enormous damage to the environment. Then, they have to be hunted or exterminated. AND the weird thing is that it is not legal to own domestic wild animals as pets in America where if you did turn them loose, it would not be as big of a problem. Ah, the mind of a politician.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Crux

Post by Crux »

My daughter is a Zookeeper (strangely enough) and if she knew of this it might be **** to pay. She spent time prior to her present job at reserves that protect the rarest of animals. She hates PETA (as we all should) and while usually calm will express quite vocal condemnations of such abuses. I mean I thought I had a strong opinion on knives. :eek:
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:28 pm
Bloke wrote:

If I had to guess I'd say someone local (on your side) is selling them. It has to be done similarly as any other exotic animal or bird.
I should do some research for my own sake D.

Either way it’s appauling that this kind of thing is actually happening at all. We live in modern times and progressive, affluent societies ... shame on us.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:30 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:28 pm
Bloke wrote:

I should do some research for my own sake D.

Either way it’s appauling that this kind of thing is actually happening at all. We live in modern times and progressive, affluent societies ... shame on us.

Yeah I even have a hard time supporting zoos even though some of them have done good things for conservation and rebuilding populations. I can't really support any animals being in captivity that aren't in some way domesticated and even some that are (wild animals) should never be.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Bloke wrote:
Smuggling exotic animals is a big business.
-Darby
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Money seems dim the senses to a point where we lose our ever-loving minds. Would I love to see a roo in person, yes! Would I intentionally put it in danger just for that encounter, no!

That being said, this epiphany didn't come on me until a few years ago after riding an elephant around Angkor Wat. To my ignorance I rode around that wonder of the world on an animal that was heavily sedated, and I was clueless. It was later day that I found out that sedatives were administered before you could ride them. I guess in my mind it was like horse riding. This didn't set well with me but I was told they really cared for them and it was a natural leaf that was used to "calm" them and only the females were used (males too aggressive).

Ironically a few days later I took a sedative to help me with the 17 hour flight back home....I really don't know if sedatives hurt the well-being of the animal or not but using it just to keep a Kangaroo-in-a box that is that confined is stupid imo! my .02
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Crux

Post by Crux »

Elephants really smell bad as I have ridden a few. I have also been around a lot of Roos but they weren't in cages. My daughter works with big animals at an animal reserve. She's in charge of caring for 51 rhinos. They smell bad too.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Crux wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:04 pm
Elephants really smell bad