Bar B Q: Who's Got The Best?? And Don't Forget The Sauce

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Bar B Q: Who's Got The Best?? And Don't Forget The Sauce

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I think it' safe to say that most everyone you know in your daily life does like or even loves some type of Bar BQ. Of course myself being from here in the Kansas City, Missouri area I'm kind of prejudice of our great Bar BQ here in Kansas City ( Missouri & Kansas side both). We have one Bar BQ stand that is truly world famous and at least 7 USA Presidents have eaten there and I'm speaking of Arthur Bryants with the main stand located at 18th & Brooklyn in the main part of KC close to the downtown area. I had the esteemed privilege of actually getting to know Arthur when he was still alive back in the 1970s.

Also there is another great Bar BQ stand here in KC whose owner and founder has even been on two of the History Channel specials and I'm speaking of Oillie Gates of the world famous Gates & Sons Bar BQ with about 7 locations throughout the KC area. Both Bryants and Gates produce Bar BQ sauces that are sold throughout the USA. My personal favorite Bar BQ joint is a smaller Bar BQ stand on Southwest Blvd on the Kansas side known as Rosedale Bar BQ. Rosedale Bar BQ is still owned and run by the same family who started it all the way back to 1929. Everyone I've taken there to Rosedale Bar BQ literally raves about the place and their ribs are so tender and delicious they literally almost melt in your mouth. Their sauce is fantastic too.

Speaking of Bar BQ sauce: There are close to I would say conservatively about 40 well known Bar BQ sauces made here in KC and there are at least 30 Bar BQ sauces produced on the national market that claim to be Kansas City style Bar BQ sauces. I think it's fair to say that we are kind of a "Mecca" of Bar BQ here in the USA and most everyone who visits Kansas City makes it a point to try at least one of Kansas City's great Bar BQ stands.

Now I'm well aware that there is a lot of great Bar BQ throughout the USA and I'm hoping that several of you will chime in and tell us about the Bar BQ in your regions that you all like so well. I know that Memphis TN, Texas, Arkansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and a few other places are also known for good Bar BQ and smoked meats, fish, poultry or anything else you can cook in a BBQ pit. So please tell us which part of the USA or even other parts of our GLOBE that might have great Bar BQ. Also I would love it if you all would share your favorite Bar BQ sauce with us as well. OK folks let's talk about one of life's essentials; yeah let's talk about BAR BQ :cool:
MichaelScott

Re: Bar B Q: Who's Got The Best?? And Don't Forget The Sauce

Post by MichaelScott »

Joe’s, KC.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I like to use different BBQ sauces depending on the meat. But by far my favorite is the KC Style BBQ sauce. It is good almost everywhere. A close second would be Carolina BBQ Sauce, mainly because it goes so well on pulled pork. It really lets the meat and the smoking process performed by the cook shine without getting in the way.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

A friend of mine grew up in KC. Once, after visiting home, he brought back a bunch of KC sauces. Many were delicious. I don't remember all of them, but, for me, Arthur Bryant's stood out. I love it. Sadly, he doesn't get back home that often anymore, and it is expensive to order online. Someday I will though. That stuff is seriously delicious.

Edit: I remember Gates being awesome too, I think my second favorite, but I don't remember how they were different.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like KC Masterpiece.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:27 pm
A friend of mine grew up in KC. Once, after visiting home, he brought back a bunch of KC sauces. Many were delicious. I don't remember all of them, but, for me, Arthur Bryant's stood out. I love it. Sadly, he doesn't get back home that often anymore, and it is expensive to order online. Someday I will though. That stuff is seriously delicious.

Edit: I remember Gates being awesome too, I think my second favorite, but I don't remember how they were different.
Well good news>> because you can get Arthur Bryants and Gates & Sons Bar BQ sauces all over the USA and there are several culinary/food websites that sell both brands. When I did a lot of snorkeling on the Gulf Coast at Ft. Walton Beach Florida almost all the grocery stores down there sold both aforementioned brands of Bar BQ sauce. I've also seen both brands in the states of Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and Florida as well as a couple of states east of the Mississippi River.

But don't deprive yourself of all the great sauces. One of the newer sauces to hit the scene was my very favorite until they changed the ingredients which made me mad as **** :mad: I'm speaking of the "BLUES HOG" line up of Bar BQ sauces. It's still not bad but when the replaced the molasses with high fructose corn syrup I could just kick somebody I was so livid :mad: But one new Bar BQ sauce that a friend of mine turned me onto was "Papa Browns" and it is awesome. Now the Rosedale sauce I believe is only available here locally in the KC area from what I'm told. But if any of you make it to KC most definitely check out ROSEDALE Bar BQ. Their food is truly from heaven itself :cool:
Last edited by JD Spydo on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:36 pm
I like KC Masterpiece.
When Rich Davis ( the founder and owner) still had all of his KC Masterpiece Bar BQ stands here in the metro area I would usually make it a point to hit one of them at least once a month. It was as though I truly needed a desperate drug-like fix :o . Their Baby Back Ribs were truly worth killing for :cool: Their beans and potato salads were even better than any homemade I ever ate>> and with 3 of my aunts being gourmet cooks that's saying a lot. His original formula Bar BQ sauce (the one that made him rich & famous) with no high fructose corn syrup is still one of my favorite sweet sauces. And his Hickory Brown Sugar sauce is great to mix with other sauces when doing outdoor grilling.

You ever make it up here to KC David I'll show you some world class Bar BQ dude :cool:
Last edited by JD Spydo on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hopweaver wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:12 pm
I like to use different BBQ sauces depending on the meat. But by far my favorite is the KC Style BBQ sauce. It is good almost everywhere. A close second would be Carolina BBQ Sauce, mainly because it goes so well on pulled pork. It really lets the meat and the smoking process performed by the cook shine without getting in the way.
That's interesting "Hopweaver" because I worked with a guy from North Carolina a few years back and he told me that both of the Carolinas really specialized in Bar BQ pork of just about every variant imaginable>> he went on to say that was truly their specialty was Bar BQ and smoked pork. However after I had turned him on to 3 of the better Bar BQ joints here in KC he immediately said that our KC Bar BQ totally outclassed and outrated anything he ever had down there.

But even with that being said I would sure like to try some if I get down there in the near future. I think he told me that a lot of the sauces from North Carolina were either spicy or vinegar based>> he said that all the KC sauces beat all of their's hands down. Yeah I know you can't make a case with one man's opinion but him and I seemed to like a lot of the same types of foods as I got to know him. But all over the south they are known for great food of every variety.

Oh by the way which brand of Kansas City Bar BQ Sauce were you talking about>> because there are at least a 100 companies that use the name "Kansas City style Bar BQ sauce". And some of them are far better than others. I know I'm a self professed, certified Bar BQ connoisseur and I specialize in meats that are smoked in Hickory, apple, Cherry and Pecan wood and have done a lot of it myself :D Oh by the way Mesquite isn't bad wood to smoke with either but I like those other 4 a bit better.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:42 am
Joe’s, KC.
I'm just a bit ashamed to say I haven't tried Joe's Bar BQ yet. All 3 of their stands are over on the Kansas side. My Brother who lives on the far west end of Kansas City KS told me a while back that they took someone there for a Birthday dinner and everyone enjoyed it. I've also had two other buddies tell me that they got some good lunches there. The next time I have to work or volunteer over at the Kansas side I'll make it a point to test their food.
Now there is one great but somewhat expensive Bar BQ/Smokehouse's >> it's called Hayward's in Overland Park KS. I've eaten there 3 times and each time it was truly gourmet and the service was excellent. Even as pricey as it was there are still long lines to get into the place. Their beef brisket was about as good as I ever had. But just make sure you've got a full wallet before you go.
And of course like I said ROSEDALE which is my very favorite>> it is over on the Kansas side. You can't go wrong with ROSEDALE no matter what you get on their menu. And their sauce is truly addictive :cool:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My spot is the original Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse NY. I NEVER go to the 'Cuse without stopping in there.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:48 pm
My spot is the original Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse NY. I NEVER go to the 'Cuse without stopping in there.
That's most interesting because I have some friends that live in New York State close to the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area. The next time I chat with them I'm going to ask them about that one. It is strange because of all the times I've been in Upstate New York I've never really seen a lot of Bar BQ places. I would be most interested to know what kind of wood they use to smoke their meat with?

Do they have a Bar BQ sauce that they sell commercially?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

They are a couple store brands that I really like.
Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory & Brown Sugar and, Heinz Texas BBQ
I also like KC Masterpiece.
What's kinda funny, is KC Masterpiece used to make a steak seasoning that was just outta this world imo, and they up and quit making it! I still but their BBQ seasoning though.
As for best BBQ joint, I like Ridgewood near Bristol, TN.
I also heard NC BBQ mentioned.
In NC, the vast majority is prolly Eastern vinegar based.
However, in western NC, ours is sweeter, like Alabama bbq.
As a matter of fact, we used to host a pig pickin every year.
And, one year a good friend from Alabama was up and he said our bbq sauce was just like that of Alabama.
That being said, I really dont care for at all the NC Central and Eastern Vinegar based bbq.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:09 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:48 pm
That's most interesting because I have some friends that live in New York State close to the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area. The next time I chat with them I'm going to ask them about that one. It is strange because of all the times I've been in Upstate New York I've never really seen a lot of Bar BQ places. I would be most interested to know what kind of wood they use to smoke their meat with?

Do they have a Bar BQ sauce that they sell commercially?
They do sell their sauce and in the North East it is easy to find. If you are in Western NY check it out. The original was in Syracuse followed by one in Rochester. Since then they have sort of blown up and have locations all over the state including Buffalo. I have only been to the Rochester and Syracuse locations. My wife is from Syracuse so I am in that area fairly often.

There are not very many BBQ joints in NY but Dinosaur is good stuff.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:26 am
Also there is another great Bar BQ
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm eating Texas BBQ right now from a place called Soulman's.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I cook and eat a LOT of BBQ'd and smoked meat. And I cook for charities/social events locally, that being said...if I wanted syrup poured on my food I'd order pancakes and not 12+ hour slow smoked meat, be it chicken, beef, mutton or the King of the BBQ....Pork. Pour that stuff on and the flavor of the meat is hidden forever behind what is basically fancy ketchup...great for fries but not good meat.

The only things I used are woodsmoke, a light rub and in the case of pork I use a variation of the true Eastern NC vinegar sauce used sparingly to cut the sweetness/richness of the meat....it is also used as a mop sauce to crisp up the skin during whole hog cooks.

My variation-
1 gallon quality apple cider vinegar with 2 cups removed
3/4 cup fresh pickling spice
1/3 cup red pepper flakes
1/4 cup light or dark brown sugar (loose, not packed)
1/8 cup salt
1/8 cup black pepper
shake well to combine....add water to top off the gallon jug and store in cool place for 7 days minimum prior to use
apply with a BBQ mop about every hour until hog is done...also works well if strained and put in a dribbler bottle and dripped directly on the meat in your plate.

A primer for the sauce virgins here.....

Eastern North Carolina Vinegar Sauce
The spicy and acidic African flavor profile was readily adopted in eastern North Carolina. Considered the mother of all American barbecue sauces, it can be traced back several centuries in North Carolina, where whole hog ‘cue reigns supreme. Unlike many modern sauces, the eastern-style uses no tomato, relying instead on a tart combination of vinegar (usually cider vinegar) and added spices like cayenne, black pepper, crushed red pepper, hot sauce (often Texas Pete), salt, and sometimes water. Author and chronicler of North Carolina barbecue Bob Garner notes that some original recipes even utilized coastal ingredients like oysters. This thin, watery wash is used to soak pork as it cooks over the flame.

Piedmont or Lexington-Style Dip
The introduction of Heinz ketchup in 1876 was a major turning point in the history of barbecue sauce nationwide. In North Carolina it resulted in a state schism over the validity of tomatoes on ‘cue. Enter the Piedmont-style or "Lexington Dip" — a reference to the city of Lexington where the style is most abundant. Western Carolinians traditionally cook pork shoulder and dress it with a tangy, vinegar-based sauce that's slightly reddened and sweetened by the introduction of ketchup. According to North Carolina's Our State magazine, the style may be attributed to five men of German descent who developed the Piedmont variety based on Bavarian practices of serving pork shoulder with sweet and vinegary sauce. Its also frequently incorporated into a specialty red slaw.

South Carolina-Style Mustard Sauce
Because human tastes belie strict borders, South Carolinians share the same traditions as their Northern counterparts with one exception — mustard sauce. Like the Piedmont-style dip, German immigrants are also to thank for this tangy smoked meat condiment. According to the South Carolina Barbecue Association, these Germans arrived to South Carolina settlements with mustard in tow. The mustard-based Carolina Gold is thinned with vinegar and doctored with added spices for a zingy flavor, and to dress pulled pork and other pork cuts.

Texas-Style Mop or Basting Sauce
Seeing as Texas likes to be different, it seems only appropriate that it developed its own saucy barbecue tradition. Texas's beefy barbecue cuts are often cooked with savory "mop sauce" or "basting sauce" — so called because it's applied with a mop. Steven Raichlen, author of The Barbecue Bible, describes the sauces as more of a thin "glaze" that moistens the meat and adds flavor as it smokes. Mop sauces may include beef stock, vinegar, Worcestershire, and spices like salt, pepper, and garlic.

Kansas City-Style Sauce
Kansas City, Missouri's thick, sweet, and tangy sauces dominate the collective consciousness when it comes to American barbecue traditions. Widely distributed on supermarket shelves, slathered on ribs at chain restaurants, and used to dip McNuggets and fries at McDonald's, it's the thick and gloppy baseline that unites a nation of barbecue novices. Ketchup and molasses give it a sweeter, heavier consistency while additives like liquid smoke impart a barbecue flavor in lieu of coals, fire, or a smoker. Worcestershire, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, and other spice may also find their way into the recipe. Despite the style's critics, the barbecue restaurants of Kansas City often defy this reputation by creating a remarkable variety of house sauces with profiles from peppery and spicy to extra vinegary.

I've got my fire proof undies on so flame away.....LOL
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Not sure who's got the "best"? I've tried most of the sauces available in my neck-o the woods and my problem is that I like all the "varieties," most with modifications. No really good b'que restaurant in my area. A good pork sandwich and slow cooked ribs are a true gift. Yes OldHoosier, I'll be making your recipe, and the datil pepper sauce for me is a must have. My plants have small peppers on them now.

Edit to add: I'm a nut for BBQ, hard for me to pass up restaurants and road side stands. When we were kids, my dad would stop frequently at "real pit" BBQ restaurants in Georgia, SC, and NC as we headed north. The quest for the "best" in BBQ is much like knives....ongoing.
Last edited by Tdog on Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:49 pm
I cook and eat a LOT of BBQ'd and smoked meat.....
Wow! I’m a novice with my Weber Smokey Mountain, but have done some really enjoyable beef ribs, pork shoulder and lamb. I have to admit to being a cheat though, using foil wrap and even roasting bags in the later stages of long cooks

I agree with you on the whole sauce thing, preferring to add it on the plate, but the vinegar sauce recipe really interests me. I would imagine this actually tenderises the meat, much like Middle Eastern marinades. I’m definitely going to try it.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
The only things I used are woodsmoke, a light rub and in the case of pork I use a variation of the true Eastern NC vinegar sauce used sparingly to cut the sweetness/richness of the meat....it is also used as a mop sauce to crisp up the skin during whole hog cooks.
I couldn't agree more. This sauce perfectly compliments the meat instead of overpowering it. By far my favorite sauce for pulled pork. But I also like to use Montgomery Inn Sauce sometimes.

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Kansas City-Style Sauce
...Widely distributed on supermarket shelves, slathered on ribs at chain restaurants, and used to dip McNuggets and fries at McDonald's, it's the thick and gloppy baseline that unites a nation of barbecue novices.
This actually made me laugh out loud. :) I don't agree as these sauces definitely have a place in the BBQ tool box. These are probably fighting words for 'novices' (still cracks me up) who have never ventured away from the grocery store shelves. I can't wait to see where this thread goes. :D
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:18 pm
Hopweaver wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:12 pm
...Oh by the way which brand of Kansas City Bar BQ Sauce were you talking about>> because there are at least a 100 companies that use the name "Kansas City style Bar BQ sauce".
The best local BBQ sauce is a Cincy based one called Montgomery Inn. They do not use liquid smoke (or very little) which makes my choice of wood I use in the smoker the only smoke. No competition from the sauce. If you can recommend a national brand I can find in Indiana I would be excited to try it out. This is a great thread you started. And timely too, as the weather looks good for this weekend. It snowed last weekend but it is almost all melted.
Last edited by Hopweaver on Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.