We are saved! Baseball Season is here!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: We are saved! Baseball Season is here!

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:58 am
Those last 2 innings, the fans definitely got their money's worth regardless of who you were cheering for. I thought the Cards were about to pull a Hader and give it all away.
It was an awesome bottom of the 9th!!
I just shudder to think if Albies could've gotten on first.
Then that solo homerun by Freddie would've been a game tying 2 run shot.
But, I digress, the Cardinals are a tough team, from an extremely tough division.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I was shocked the Braves lost that game. I crawled out from under the wife's Subaru just to check the score and saw that Atl had the lead (3-2) with Melancon on the mound with 2 outs in the 8th and thought "Game Over"! Was surprised when I saw the final score.

Walker Buehler was electric last night and so was the Dodgers offense, I just hope they can keep it up. Kershaw vs. Strasburg tonight and I hope it's just as entertaining!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:35 am
I was shocked the Braves lost that game. I crawled out from under the wife's Subaru just to check the score and saw that Atl had the lead (3-2) with Melancon on the mound with 2 outs in the 8th and thought "Game Over"! Was surprised when I saw the final score.

Walker Buehler was electric last night and so was the Dodgers offense, I just hope they can keep it up. Kershaw vs. Strasburg tonight and I hope it's just as entertaining!
As a giants fan I’m shocked, shocked I tell you, that melancon gave up 4 runs and lost the game. Could never imagine that happening. :rolleyes:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SF Native wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:46 am
legOFwhat? wrote:

As a giants fan I’m shocked, shocked I tell you, that melancon gave up 4 runs and lost the game. Could never imagine that happening. :rolleyes:
Tell me about it.
And, you could tell he was shocked too, from the look he in the dugout. But, it happens. That was just one heck of a time for it to happen.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

SF Native wrote:
legOFwhat? wrote:

Since he joined the Braves he's been awfully good, and forced out Shane Greene as the closer who was one of the best American league closers...playoffs are a different animal though.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:05 pm
SF Native wrote:
legOFwhat? wrote:

Since he joined the Braves he's been awfully good, and forced out Shane Greene as the closer who was one of the best American league closers...playoffs are a different animal though.
Man, you nailed it! The playoffs are certainly a different animal.
That's what I've telling my Uncle.
Regular season is fine and all, but the pitching gets super nasty in the post season. Everything is just turned up.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:08 pm
Regular season is fine and all, but the pitching gets super nasty in the post season. Everything is just turned up.
I wish there was a means of measure of momentum and pressure when it comes to competition. Something as simple as beating out of a ground ball can fire up a team, or crowd for that matter, to overcome a deficit or the pressure of having a fast runner cause a pitcher to throw a wild pitch and choke. It's not tangible but you can feel it coming, it will not register on a scale but it's heavy, doesn't bother some yet cripples others...it's baseball baby!
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:24 pm
MacLaren wrote:
I wish there was a means of measure of momentum and pressure when it comes to competition. Something as simple as beating out of a ground ball can fire up a team, or crowd for that matter, to overcome a deficit or the pressure of having a fast runner cause a pitcher to throw a wild pitch and choke. It's not tangible but you can feel it coming, it will not register on a scale but it's heavy, doesn't bother some yet cripples others...it's baseball baby!
Absolutely. And......then theres the magic.
When that broken into bat single turns into a rally......When a miraculous catch turns the momentum, gotta love the October magic....
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:45 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
When that broken into bat single turns into a rally......When a miraculous catch turns the momentum, gotta love the October magic....
Or a Cubs fan catches a foul ball. :p maybe we'll see the next Derek Jeter this year.

Melancon nailed the save down for your boys tonight, but made it scary. Back up on that horse! Kenley Jansen has been shaky this year too...
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:02 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:45 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Or a Cubs fan catches a foul ball. :p maybe we'll see the next Derek Jeter this year.

Melancon nailed the save down for your boys tonight, but made it scary. Back up on that horse! Kenley Jansen has been shaky this year too...
Holy cow lol, I remember that......oh man.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Atlanta beat the Cardinals.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:33 am
Atlanta beat the Cardinals.
Glad they did. If not, they were toast. You bought have to win that second game in a 5 game series, ya know?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I hoping they go all the way.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Really wish Kershaw would have a dominant game in a series! Can't take anything from Strasburg was nearly untouchable Friday night, just hope we get the win tonight.

Speaking of dominant, Astros and Yanks look to be on a collision course and would also be a fun series to watch.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Very impressive win by the Braves this evening.
If I were St.Loius, I would've left Wainright in all 9 innings.
He had the MoJo today.....
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Really didn't think LA was going to win that game last night, Sanchez had them off balance all night. Joe Kelly nearly blew up the hole thing like Patrick Corbin did for the Nats. Roller coaster indeed.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
benben

Post by benben »

Looks like we've got us a couple of NL game 5 games coming..........fans getting their money's worth! Come on Braves!!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

benben wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:07 am
Looks like we've got us a couple of NL game 5 games coming..........fans getting their money's worth! Come on Braves!!
I've been wanting a Braves/Dodgers matchup and hope we see it. Scary thing is now it's a one game, do or die, situation and both our teams are at home so we got that going for us. Should be the best 2 teams playing one another and I don't think Stl or Wash can defeat the AL teams...Either way Wednesday should be fun!
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
benben

Post by benben »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:01 am
benben wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:07 am
I've been wanting a Braves/Dodgers matchup and hope we see it. Scary thing is now it's a one game, do or die, situation and both our teams are at home so we got that going for us. Should be the best 2 teams playing one another and I don't think Stl or Wash can defeat the AL teams...Either way Wednesday should be fun!
That would be a great NL match up, honestly the Cardinals scare me, they're such a great postseason team! I predicted months ago a Yankees / Dodgers World Series, I'm pretty sure I'm already 50% right! The NL is still definitely up in the air!

I also predict no one is going to beat the Yankees this year! :(
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

benben wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:56 am
That would be a great NL match up, honestly the Cardinals scare me, they're such a great postseason team! I predicted months ago a Yankees / Dodgers World Series, I'm pretty sure I'm already 50% right! The NL is still definitely up in the air!

I also predict no one is going to beat the Yankees this year! :(
The American League is always going to have an unfair advantage over the NL until the DH is in both leagues. Watching the #8 hitter get intentionally walked so you can get the pitcher batting is unbearable, and I know folks disagree with me on this. IMO, 9 professional hitters will always beat 8.

I'll climb off my soapbox now :)
-Larry
MNOSD #0049