We are saved! Baseball Season is here!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: We are saved! Baseball Season is here!

Post by MacLaren »

James Y wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:12 am
I only hope the Padres start winning more consistently.

Jim
Well, they have Machado. But, hes already acting like an arse.
Not sure if the Pads did the right thing by signing him or not.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It’s a looooong way to October.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Crux

Post by Crux »

Good thread, I need a little cheering up. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The 1st ever sporting event I went to was when my Mom got tickets through a client at work to a Braves game. That night Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's Homerun Record. I've been a Braves fan ever since.

In my late teens, early 20s we use to go to Braves, pay around $8, and walk into an almost empty stadium. They did all kinds of giveaways and promotions to get people to attend. My apartment was filled with Braves cups, bats, and other crap. My roommate's boss ended up having season tickets so occasionally we would go as no one wanted them.

Then in 1991 the Braves started doing well. Even halfway through the season no one was really going. It wasn't until the playoffs that the stadium started getting packed. Those season tickets we were using were no longer available. We both paid a stupid amount of money to fly up to Minnesota for game 6 to hopefully see the Braves win the World Series. Sadly it did not happen.

A few years later I joined the Army. I still followed the Braves, but could not attend any games. In 1995 I was glued to the TV watching the World Series every chance I could. On the day of Game 6 I had to go to the field to provide medical coverage for a Leadership course. I was bummed as I was going to miss the game. Luckily another soldier out there showed me how to rig the radio in the Humvee to pick up regular radio stations so I could at least listen to the game. Later that night a yell of "Braves Win!" rang out to which several other soldiers yelled not so nice things back at me haha.

Up until last season I was kind of unimpressed and not paying much attention. Really digging the current line up they have of young players and would love to see this team grow like the '91/'95 team did.

So yea....GO BRAVES! :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nice post Halfneck.
I need to be more patient with Atlanta. It's just, I so miss the Ted Turner days ;)
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

While I don't watch t.v. anymore, I have rediscovered baseball radio broadcasts. Caught a couple of Dodgers games on AM and they were great! This is my new passion.

:)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:58 am
Nice post Halfneck.
I need to be more patient with Atlanta. It's just, I so miss the Ted Turner days ;)
I'm not really a sports watcher - I didn't get the gene I guess. Growing up I enjoyed playing the sport, more than watching it. Played baseball & then switched to soccer. Something about the '91 season just sucked me in and re-ignited my love of baseball. During last season I was training for a 10k. The treadmills at the hospital's wellness center have TVs so I started catching Braves games replays. There are some similarities between the 2 eras. Young talented players that mesh well as a team. The main difference is that the '91 era had great pitching (Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux) and ok batting. The current team has good batting and ok pitching. The current team needs some relief/closing pitchers bad. Regardless I think they will be an exciting team to watch.

I did follow other teams some. When I lived in California (82-86) I liked the Oakland A's. I also liked Cal Ripken Jr as a player due to his dedication, and by extension enjoyed watching him play with the Baltimore Orioles.

Both my son's played Rec league baseball, but didn't continue at the High School level. My oldest was so-so, but excelled at Cross Country. My youngest is my natural athlete and was outstanding. Living in the South though Football is dominant so he started playing that with friends. He was good, but got burned out and switched to Track. Still, the memories of playing catch with them in the backyard as kids are some of my fondest.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Halfneck wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:34 pm
The 1st ever sporting event I went to was when my Mom got tickets through a client at work to a Braves game. That night Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's Homerun Record. I've been a Braves fan ever since.

So yea....GO BRAVES! :)
It was only appropriate. Ruth played for the Braves and it was Aaron, a Brave, that broke his record.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What are your favorite snacks and foods and drinks to enjoy while watching the big game?

Mine: popcorn and peanuts (A mix if possible), hot dogs (grilled over boiled), and a good drink of some sort.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Halfneck wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:18 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:58 am
Nice post Halfneck.
I'm not really a sports watcher - I didn't get the gene I guess. Growing up I enjoyed playing the sport, more than watching it. Played baseball & then switched to soccer. Something about the '91 season just sucked me in and re-ignited my love of baseball. During last season I was training for a 10k. The treadmills at the hospital's wellness center have TVs so I started catching Braves games replays. There are some similarities between the 2 eras. Young talented players that mesh well as a team. The main difference is that the '91 era had great pitching (Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux) and ok batting. The current team has good batting and ok pitching. The current team needs some relief/closing pitchers bad. Regardless I think they will be an exciting team to watch.

I did follow other teams some. When I lived in California (82-86) I liked the Oakland A's. I also liked Cal Ripken Jr as a player due to his dedication, and by extension enjoyed watching him play with the Baltimore Orioles.

Both my son's played Rec league baseball, but didn't continue at the High School level. My oldest was so-so, but excelled at Cross Country. My youngest is my natural athlete and was outstanding. Living in the South though Football is dominant so he started playing that with friends. He was good, but got burned out and switched to Track. Still, the memories of playing catch with them in the backyard as kids are some of my fondest.
I understand. I've played far, far, more than I've ever watched.
I just really started watching here that 10 years maybe. Prolly more like 7 or 8.
But, I've always been into it per say.
I would always catch a game here or there and watch the first and last game of the Series. But, now a days I do watch it more.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:35 am
What are your favorite snacks and foods and drinks to enjoy while watching the big game?

Mine: popcorn and peanuts (A mix if possible), hot dogs (grilled over boiled), and a good drink of some sort.
Old days with the Braves we use to bring coolers into the stands, go buy a Coke and mix up drinks :D

Nowadays I will usually get a beer and some peanuts.

Last several years I have actually been going to Minor League Baseball games more. I've got 2 different teams to choose from about 30 minutes from my house - Rome Braves & the Chattanooga Lookouts. Family & I prefer going to the Lookouts. There are some good restaurants near the Lookout stadium so we will eat there before a game then walk over. Another good thing about the Minor League games is they are affordable. Last time I took the family to a Braves game it cost close to $200 between tickets and food. Cost of the tickets didn't bother me as much as the price gouging for food & drinks.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ahh.....the Minor Leagues are awesome.
I have actually 3 or 4 to choose from.
Elizabethton Twins
Johnson City Cardinals
Kingsport Mets
Greeneville Astros
Asheville Tourists.
Elizabethton Twins and JC Cardinals are the closest though.
When the wife went to UNC, we went to see the Durham Bulls play
I love checking out all the Minor League names and hats.
There are some crazy ones out there!
Oh yeah, also have the Hickory Crawdads.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

SEF, hotdogs with yellow mustard are a must.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

We were in Atlanata in June- I think? (2012) to watch the Braves play the Yankees. It was HOT. Those frozen Minute Maid Lemonade's are awesome!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

How many MLB parks have you all been to? I don't do it often but I have been to several different stadiums over the years.

Old Tiger stadium Detroit (1970's I was really too young to remember anything other than my dad telling me to sit still)

Riverfront Cincinnati (1989 my 1st time getting to see my Dodgers and Fernando...wearing my usual LA hat drunk Reds fan flicked beer on me because I jumped up when LA scored. I was with a church youth group and our pastor asked him to move and watch his language). LA 10- Reds 3 :)
Returned to Riverfront a few times in the 90's to see LA, in 93 I took all my groomsman as their gift. Got to see Jose RIjo...LA 4- Reds 3

Busch Stadium St.Louis (2008 my company sent me for training with DCSI and I caught a Cards/Cubs game one night..Pujols homered...

SunTrust Park Atlanta (2015 Braves/Reds- best seats I've ever had, just off the Reds dugout....flew out to South Korea next morning). Billy Hamilton homered :)

Busch Stadium is amazing! One day I'll make it to Chavez Ravine to see Dodger stadium...bucket list #1
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

In the 60's I was at the parks in Atlanta, Houston, and another I cannot remember. Since, I have been to Fenway in Boston, PNC in Pittsburg, and Kauffman in KCMO. That is all I can think of at the moment.

However, how many teams have I seen play? Quite a lot, actually. Braves, Cardinals, Royals, Red Sox, Pirates, Yankees, Orioles, Astros, Seattle, and quite a number more. I lived in the Baseball area of FL and I used to get to see the teams come down and play in the Spring, as well.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Only 3.
The Old Atlanta Fulton County
Atlanta Turner Field
And, the old San Diego Jack Murphy Stadium
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I've seen one mlb game in my life (so far) - a Giants game at Candlestick Park, many moons ago. Many college games. Quite a bit of minor league games. I've come to realize - I love baseball. Have tickets to Sunday's Las Vegas Aviators game.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I'm so glad I just stumbled upon this tread!!

I'm a life-long, blue bleeding Dodger fan...Blessed throughout the majority of my life to have had the sound of Vin Scully's voice filling my living room each and every baseball season.

I coached a total of 16 youth regular-season teams and 9 youth all-star teams while my son was growing up. I'm proud to say he's the starting catcher for his college today...Literally playing later today, in fact.
I also coached 14 softball teams for my daughter while she was a kid and now she plays second base at her high school.

Baseball is the greatest game on earth IMO. I'm so very glad the MLB season is back under-way!

Doc...I may not like most of the teams you like, but I understand why anyone would like them....except the Cards...screw those guys! :p ;)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Xplorer wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:56 pm

I'm a life-long, blue bleeding Dodger fan...Blessed throughout the majority of my life to have had the sound of Vin Scully's voice filling my living room each and every baseball season.
Yeah! Although we got swept by those nasty cards today:(
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049