We are saved! Baseball Season is here!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: We are saved! Baseball Season is here!

Post by Doc Dan »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:38 am
Whoo! Dodgers vs. Phillies live free game today on youtube..Not a bad day's work to get to see a game from my office chair...

It's gonna be fun to watch the Crew, Cubs, Nats and Cards all fight for one of the wildcard slots. LA and Atl look to win their division and the Central looks to be a dogfight!
It’s getting interesting.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

August and September have ruined a many a 1st place team :D
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Mets know all about that hahaha.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hmmm, Hiura down to the 7 spot tonight after going 3 for 3 the other night and scoring a run and an rbi yesterday...no idea what we're doing this year :confused:

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:30 pm
Hmmm, Hiura down to the 7 spot tonight after going 3 for 3 the other night and scoring a run and an rbi yesterday...no idea what we're doing this year :confused:
No joke....... :(
He tore Atlanta's *** up....
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Cards won’t die. Awesome comebacks, twice.

And, in other news, how does a team blow a 7 run lead?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Brew Crew had me sweating this weekend. Fell behind 3-0 Saturday night and 4-0 today...0nly to come back and score 7 unanswered in both games to take the win!!! Big wins considering the Dbacks are in the fight for a wild card spot. Unless we acquire a starting pitcher, I think we'll be fighting for a wild card spot instead of the division this year. Never know with that crazy NL Central!

-Rick
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:14 pm
Brew Crew had me sweating this weekend. Fell behind 3-0 Saturday night and 4-0 today...0nly to come back and score 7 unanswered in both games to take the win!!! Big wins considering the Dbacks are in the fight for a wild card spot. Unless we acquire a starting pitcher, I think we'll be fighting for a wild card spot instead of the division this year. Never know with that crazy NL Central!
Our boy Keston in the 2 spot today and still taking! Keep it up kid!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

They gave Yelich the day off, he's normally in the 2. I'd love Keston consistently in the 4-5 with Moustakas in the other. They have a lot of great bats, just need a few more arms on the mound!!

Larry, how did you become such a Keston lover!? You were raving about him before he even made his debut!

-Rick
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:32 pm
They gave Yelich the day off, he's normally in the 2. I'd love Keston consistently in the 4-5 with Moustakas in the other. They have a lot of great bats, just need a few more arms on the mound!!

Larry, how did you become such a Keston lover!? You were raving about him before he even made his debut!
Fantasy baseball is what keeps me tracking players. Been playing with the same friends for over ten years. It really makes me enjoy baseball a lot more even if it's not the Dodgers, I can watch and enjoy seeing players I've picked up and drafted to my team.

When I was young I collected baseball cards and it was all the rookies that got most attention and hype, so I guess those things made a big influence to me. Made me appreciate the players even if they were tied to a team.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'm late to the party, but what do y'all think of Acuña Jr? Does he remind anyone else of Ricky Henderson? Last night in the loss he legged out two infield hits, drew a walk, and stole second twice. Tonight he drew a walk and went 2 for 4 with a HR. He's fun to watch and I'm glad he's a Brave.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:29 pm
I'm late to the party, but what do y'all think of Acuña Jr? Does he remind anyone else of Ricky Henderson? Last night in the loss he legged out two infield hits, drew a walk, and stole second twice. Tonight he drew a walk and went 2 for 4 with a HR. He's fun to watch and I'm glad he's a Brave.
He is a great player. I enjoy watching him.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

What do you all think of the Hall of Fame inductions this time?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:54 am
What do you all think of the Hall of Fame inductions this time?
Seeing these guys go in made me feel a little old. Bains and Edgar were fun to watch hit and NOBODY did it like Rivera, but to me ole' Roy was must watch TV when he was in his prime. His Philly's days killed me as a Dodger fan (not as much as Matt Stairs :mad: ) but like it or not he was one of the most dominant pitchers of his era.

Next year Jeter!
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'll finally to be able to unload my Jeter rookie card next year! When my parents moved down to Virginia 4 years ago, I still had a lot of my collectibles stored away at their house since they had so much extra room. I was going through all my sports cards when I was picking them up to bring to my house and came across this beauty! It's some special edition "foil edition" card that supposedly makes it more rare. I'm pretty sure I began to shake when I came across it hahaha. Haven't looked at my baseball cards since I was around 13 or so and had no idea he would become who he became.

I took this photo that day to show to my friends that are Yanks fans. It's now in a heavy duty card display case. I'm guessing I only handled the card twice ever, so it should be in great shape!

Resized_IMG_20160312_173647086_630769714367451.jpeg

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:09 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:32 pm

Fantasy baseball is what keeps me tracking players. Been playing with the same friends for over ten years. It really makes me enjoy baseball a lot more even if it's not the Dodgers, I can watch and enjoy seeing players I've picked up and drafted to my team.

When I was young I collected baseball cards and it was all the rookies that got most attention and hype, so I guess those things made a big influence to me. Made me appreciate the players even if they were tied to a team.
I hear ya Larry, I'm the same way with fantasy football. I play in 5 leagues every year...one of them, this will be the 17th season. There are 12 of us and 10 of us are still local so it's great to get the guys together and have a live draft and catch up. The other 2 we get in on Skype on the computer and it's all live streamed. We have a great time!

Fantasy sports definitely keep you more interested than following just your favorite team. Heck, I can stay up for a Monday Night Football game just because I have a kicker and my opponent has a defense, especially if our matchup is close and can be decided by either player that's playing. It's a blessing and curse, as you know haha.

-Rick
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

It would be cool to meet up with the guys in our league, I've only met one and he's they guy that got me started. My son in law is now with us and a couple guys are in Asia. Never would have guessed I'd play fantasy baseball and I feel silly sometimes when I get worked up because a player lets my team down... I guess that puts the "fan" in fanatics....
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:32 am
I'll finally to be able to unload my Jeter rookie card next year! When my parents moved down to Virginia 4 years ago, I still had a lot of my collectibles stored away at their house since they had so much extra room. I was going through all my sports cards when I was picking them up to bring to my house and came across this beauty! It's some special edition "foil edition" card that supposedly makes it more rare. I'm pretty sure I began to shake when I came across it hahaha. Haven't looked at my baseball cards since I was around 13 or so and had no idea he would become who he became.

I took this photo that day to show to my friends that are Yanks fans. It's now in a heavy duty card display case. I'm guessing I only handled the card twice ever, so it should be in great shape!

Resized_IMG_20160312_173647086_630769714367451.jpeg
Wow!
That is truly awesome Rick!
How much will it bring?
And, shouldn't Jeter be in the hall this year?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm definitely no card value expert, but last I checked I saw that card was ranging from $50-$800+. No idea how they grade them, but I would hope mine is on the higher end considering it's rarely been touched and was kept safe and out of the light for all these years. I may have it sent out to be graded, will have to look into that.

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Welp, just heard the bad news that our only reliable ace pitcher Woodruff is headed to the IL for 6 weeks :(

The only strong point in our otherwise greatest weakness (starting pitching) this is devastating to the Brew Crew. Something tells me we're going to make a move now and it feels like a must if we want to hang around for a shot at October. One of the few players we could afford a long term injury to happen. Feeling the blues tonight :o

-Rick