Records.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Daveho

Re: Records.

Post by Daveho »

Original pressing of scary monsters
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey "Daveho" being you like David Bowie a lot>> as I did in the earlier part of his career. I kind of tapered off his music as I got older because his style kind of changed and I really didn't like a lot of his later stuff.

But there were two more of his older LPs that I liked. One was "Aladdin Sane" and the other was "Diamond Dogs". I believe if he would have stayed with his original Ziggy Stardust band with Trevor Bolder, Woody Woodmansey, & Mick Ronson he would competed with any band out there. But most of his stuff from the mid 80s and later just got too strange for me.

By the way just for your information and you might want to check to see if your local library has one>>> The drummer Woody Woodmansey wrote a really great biography type book detailing that original "Ziggy Stardust" band and he went into detail as to how they got their breaks and gained their fame in a relatively short time. It's a great read and has some great pictures in it of all the guys in the band as well as pics with them and other well known rock stars of that era. I was lucky found one at my local library and didn't have to buy it. By the way "Woodmansey" is the only one still alive out of that group unfortunately. He wrote the book right after Bowie died.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’ll see what I can find, thanks JD I like a lot of Mick Ronson’s solo stuff and it’s on my list to pick up-
I know Bowie is seen as a really odd guy as he referred to his “characters” in the third person, was smashed on coke for a long while, made some unpopular borderline pro fascist comments but when you look at him through the lense of a ritual magician and occultist as well as his stance as an artist he makes a lot more sense and you pick up a lot more from his music, especially earlier stuff like hunky dory and station to station.
Last edited by Daveho on Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Here’s a couple more-
Today I’m home sick and currently blasting man who sold the world- width of a circle is a fantastic song.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

for anyone who hasn't been introduced to the wonders of Bowie, the 3 disc box/comp (plus DVD for 4 discs) is a great overview. it's a 20 bit remaster from the original tapes and much of the material that had been crippled by the early CD releases is back in all its glory... of course the current issue Bowie CDs are similarly excellent, but if your're not sure you want to commit to buying at least a dozen albums, it hits many of the high points.

BTW, where's Station to Station Daveho? You really need that one too!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
awa54

Post by awa54 »

https://youtu.be/dLl1MeOCeKI
-David

Daveho

Post by Daveho »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:42 pm
for anyone who hasn't been introduced to the wonders of Bowie, the 3 disc box/comp (plus DVD for 4 discs) is a great overview. it's a 20 bit remaster from the original tapes and much of the material that had been crippled by the early CD releases is back in all its glory... of course the current issue Bowie CDs are similarly excellent, but if your're not sure you want to commit to buying at least a dozen albums, it hits many of the high points.

BTW, where's Station to Station Daveho? You really need that one too!
I know, I know!!
Station to station is actually in my top 3 Bowie albums. Unfortunately none of my local guys have it AND the two copies I have ordered online have been lost in transit.
So I’m waiting for the third... we will see.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I still need;
Station to station
The first Self titled
Heathen
Reality
Earthling
Black tie white noise
1. Outside

The last three I’m going to have to wait for repressings unfortunately..
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:28 pm
Here’s a couple more-
Today I’m home sick and currently blasting man who sold the world- width of a circle is a fantastic song.
DAVEHO I've got one for you that will probably make you chuckle or just outright laugh>> I had to replace the very first copy of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars LP by David Bowie because I truly wore the first one out. It developed 2 bad skips on the vinyl after I played it countless hundreds of times. The Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory LPs both got played a lot when I had them. There isn't a bad or mediocre song on either LP in my humble opinion. He was so much better than anyone else in the "glam rock" genre that the closest competition he had was the late Marc Bolan and his T-REX band and Bowie outsold that group probably by at least 4 to 1.
I see you did find "Aladdin Sane" which had about 4 great tunes on it. I also got to see Bowie and the original Ziggy Stardust band here in Kansas City, Missouri, USA Earth back in Oct of 1972 and I still have the ticket stub. Some of my ticket stubs I've acquired over the years might be gaining some value.
I had both of Mick Ronson's LPs i.e. "Play Don't Worry" & "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" both on RCA records. You would have been blown away to see how good Mick Ronson was on guitar in concert. The entire band was extremely talented. I've always thought that the Brits have had the best Rock Groups overall throughout the 60s, 70s & most of the 80s. I also used to have the "Spiders From Mars" LP when the members of the band minus Bowie himself got back together for a while. I've heard recently that is a big money collector's piece>> I had mine stolen years ago. It is so amazing how much super talent come from that era.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

NAD and AR gear...and just under 400 records at the moment. Had over 1000, but I sold a bunch over the years, as they were dupes and sometimes trips. :)

A sealed copy of Yellow Brick Road, and a sealed copy of the White Album are my most valuable.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There are two older British rock albums I've had for years. One is an older Brit group called the Groundhogs and a couple of their great masterpieces are "SPLIT" and "WHO WILL SAVE THE WORLD". Also another forgotten British group called "Budgie"

And STUART that is remarkable that you would have the BEATLES White double album along with Elton John's "Yellow Brick Road". Those two go way back>> heck the White Album is circa 1968 I do believe.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:37 am
There are two older British rock albums I've had for years. One is an older Brit group called the Groundhogs and a couple of their great masterpieces are "SPLIT" and "WHO WILL SAVE THE WORLD". Also another forgotten British group called "Budgie"

And STUART that is remarkable that you would have the BEATLES White double album along with Elton John's "Yellow Brick Road". Those two go way back>> heck the White Album is circa 1968 I do believe.
Elton John I haven’t gotten into really- the Beatles I’m listening to on and off but can’t pick up a full record, so much of their stuff I’m just not into- I put to up that the white album would have been better if it was a single disc
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

JD

Budgie..Never turn your back on a friend...

The song "Parents" is one of all time favourites...
Tony Bourge using a Gibson 335... and a lotta talent.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The colored vinyl DMM reissues of the Beatles red, blue, and White albums are all sonically excellent LPs. In a way I'm bummed that they didn't do the whole catalog (at least if they did the individual albums weren't available in the US), though the CD remasters that came out a few years later are also excellent sounding.

I can't imagine the White album as a single disc...
-David

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:56 pm
JD

Budgie..Never turn your back on a friend...

The song "Parents" is one of all time favourites...
Tony Bourge using a Gibson 335... and a lotta talent.
Yeah I had 3 of the Budgie albums at one time. The Brits had a lot of great groups that for whatever reason never really took off here in the USA :confused: . The glam rock group "Roxy Music" was another one of my top favorites and I still listen to a lot of their tunes. Roxy Music's album "SIREN" is one of my top 10 best albums of all time. To me it was Roxy Music's very best and they had some good ones.
The one Budgie album I had that everyone always loved to listen to was Armageddon. It's nothing short of incredible how much vast influence in music that the British groups had. Oh by the way guess the name of the lady who is on the SIREN LP>> she's more popular than you might think but it's hard to recognize her on that album cover.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Finally, third times the charm...

Then as a Bowie fan you are obligated to pick up some Ronson- have to say his solo stuff is very underrated, it’s a real shame.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

congrats on scoring Station to Station!

What phono pickup are you running on that Technics? If it's an old 70s/80s Ortofon (looks like one?) you may want to think about upgrades... not only are newer designs likely to have better frequency response and separation, but also the option of hyper-eliptical/micro-line/shibata stylus shapes can give better fidelity from worn discs and lower effective groove wall pressure (less wear). Ortofon still makes some great cartridges and the higher-end Audio Technica offerings are hard to beat for the price (and genuinely excellent as well).
-David

Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I Actually have just loaded my last replacement stylus for this cart, I was looking at the Otofon red for my next cart however the audio technica carts I’m not totally across so I need to go through and figure out the range.
The cart is a technics epc-270c sounds great to my ear though it is just a standard elliptical, I’m a bit basic evidently.

Perhaps a decent stylus would be an easy option
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’ve just pulled the trigger on a Vm-95e/h audio technica is substantially easier to find locally so that’s a safe bet plus the interchangeable stylii is an easy way to try out some options.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Daveho wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:22 pm
David looking so elegant
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara