Favorite horror movies?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Favorite horror movies?

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:26 am
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:23 am
James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:20 am
Tentacles (1977 trailer)

This movie capatalized on the popularity of Jaws (Tentacles, get it?), and it was filmed locally; that's the main reason I went to see it. The other reason was because some kids I knew from school appeared as extras in a beach scene. Otherwise, the movie was (and is) terrible.

Funny enough, at the beginning of the trailer when he says Ocean Beach, it shows La Jolla.

https://youtu.be/NMDDAv8g54w

Jim

Jim,

That movie was pretty bad. :confounded

Lots of cheese in that one. :rofl

Jim

Yeah, that was definitely one of those BAD '70s horror films. 😄 I remember seeing it at the drive-in, and all the kids were screaming and shouting when they saw themselves and/or friends onscreen in the beach scene.

Jim

Jim,

That was a lot of BAD 70's films, and 80's films too for that matter. One film would do well and actually be good then they would make 10 BAD ones trying to be just like it. :eye-roll

Kinda like today, same thing, and with all of the remakes, OMG,,, :nauseated

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:31 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:20 am
Tentacles (1977 trailer)

This movie capatalized on the popularity of Jaws (Tentacles, get it?), and it was filmed locally; that's the main reason I went to see it. The other reason was because some kids I knew from school appeared as extras in a beach scene. Otherwise, the movie was (and is) terrible.

Funny enough, at the beginning of the trailer when he says Ocean Beach, it shows La Jolla.

https://youtu.be/NMDDAv8g54w

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Yeah, that was definitely one of those BAD '70s horror films. 😄 I remember seeing it at the drive-in, and all the kids were screaming and shouting when they saw themselves and/or friends onscreen in the beach scene.

Jim

Jim,

That was a lot of BAD 70's films, and 80's films too for that matter. One film would do well and actually be good then they would make 10 BAD ones trying to be just like it. :eye-roll

Jim

I'd pretty much given up on Hollywood movies years ago. I did watch Tarantino's last couple of movies, and they were good. And as for horror films, Hereditary (2018) was an anomaly, because it was really good. But the vast majority of Hollywood and Hollywood-related movies suck. Including the horror movies, with Hereditary being a rare exception.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:39 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

I'd pretty much given up on Hollywood movies years ago. I did watch Tarantino's last couple movies, and they were good. And as for horror films, Hereditary (2018) was an anomaly, because it was really good. But the vast majority of Hollywood and Hollywood-related movies suck. Including the horror movies, Hereditary being a rare exception.

Jim

Jim,

I don't remember there being many good horror movies lately.

Most of them are nothing more than sucky remakes of movies that didn't need to be remade. :eye-roll

That and the stupid strong female lead garbage that had killed so many movies along with the other terrible miscasting they seem to do all the time now.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:43 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

I'd pretty much given up on Hollywood movies years ago. I did watch Tarantino's last couple movies, and they were good. And as for horror films, Hereditary (2018) was an anomaly, because it was really good. But the vast majority of Hollywood and Hollywood-related movies suck. Including the horror movies, Hereditary being a rare exception.

Jim

Jim,

Most of them are nothing more than sucky remakes of movies that didn't need to be remade. :eye-roll

That and the stupid strong female lead garbage that had killed so many movies along with the other terrible miscasting they seem to do all the time now.

Jim

Jim, they've been doing the strong female lead (or female as last survivor) thing in horror films since the late '70s or so. But now it's gotten out of hand; whereas in decades past, there was a modicum of believability to it.

I've really given up on Hollywood. There are still some good (and even great) foreign films being made. Oh, and I hate it when Hollywood tries to remake successful Japanese films, because the cultural context that makes the stories what they are do not carry over into American or Western culture, and Hollywood "blandifies" it.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:55 am
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:43 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim, they've been doing the strong female lead (or female as last survivor) thing in horror films since the late '70s or so. But now it's gotten out of hand; whereas in decades past, there was a modicum of believability to it.

I've really given up on Hollywood. There are still some good (and even great) foreign films being made. Oh, and I hate it when Hollywood tries to remake successful Japanese films, because the cultural context that makes the stories what they are do not carry over into American or Western culture, and Hollywood "blandifies" it.

Jim

Jim, like most everything, it's been out of hand for a long time.

Between the things that are supposed to be movies and the other things that are supposed to be TV shows I dunno. :rofl

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Stigmata (1999 trailer)

I'm not sure if I or anyone else mentioned this already or not, and I'm too lazy to check back through the thread.

I saw this in a theater, and have to say, I ended up liking it a lot. For me, it wasn't so much a horror movie as something else. It is highly underrated and misunderstood; either that, or most people ignored, or just didn't, or couldn't "get" the real message at the end of the movie.

Some thought it was like the '90s' version of The Exorcist; but in reality, it was actually almost the opposite of The Exorcist.

What really interested me about this film was the very plausible conspiracy and attempted cover-up angle involving a certain powerful religious organization...I'll leave it at that.

It was very ballsy to make a movie like this, and IMO, such a movie couldn't be made today. It's very much a '90s film.

https://youtu.be/rwsTYQ26QDQ

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Prophecy (1979)

2 videos below.

I saw this one in a theater when it came out. This was definitely a "B" movie and seemed to have been rated poorly, but I actually enjoyed it. I thought the sense of menace was effective. Sometimes a good, old-fashioned monster movie is just the ticket.

Original theatrical trailer:

https://youtu.be/clch3xZ7jGI

Alternate Trailer:

https://youtu.be/RPtnKqtc0z0

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Midsommar (2019 trailer)

A new(er) movie I'd like to check out at some point. From the director of Hereditary. I've heard some good things about this film.

https://youtu.be/xb-lGS5RV5A

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Grizzly (1976)

(Full movie)

OK, NOT among my favorites, and NOT a very good movie. But it brings back memories, because the last time I watched it was at a theater in 1976. I was 12 or 13. Even back then, I knew the way a grizzly would maul a person would be nothing like in this movie. And it didn't look like it was 18 feet tall. This was basically a monster bear movie made to capitalize on the Jaws craze.

https://youtu.be/h3GTaK2NEew

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:37 pm
Grizzly (1976)

(Full movie)

OK, NOT among my favorites, and NOT a very good movie. But it brings back memories, because the last time I watched it was at a theater in 1976. I was 12 or 13. Even back then, I knew the way a grizzly would maul a person would be nothing like in this movie. And it didn't look like it was 18 feet tall. This was basically a monster bear movie to capitalize on the Jaws craze.

Jim

Jim,

I remember that movie, yeah, I hear you.

https://youtu.be/fipR4q3mg7s

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:40 pm
James Y wrote:
Grizzly (1976)

(Full movie)

OK, NOT among my favorites, and NOT a very good movie. But it brings back memories, because the last time I watched it was at a theater in 1976. I was 12 or 13. Even back then, I knew the way a grizzly would maul a person would be nothing like in this movie. And it didn't look like it was 18 feet tall. This was basically a monster bear movie to capitalize on the Jaws craze.

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Hey, Jim, I remember The Day of the Animals! The '70s was rife with movies about animals running amok. I think it started in the early '70s with movies like Frogs, and others, too.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:46 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Grizzly (1976)

(Full movie)

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Hey, Jim, I remember The Day of the Animals! The '70s was rife with movies about animals running amok. I think it started in the early '70s with movies like Frogs, and others, too.

Jim

Jim,

Yes, lots of them about snakes, spiders, sharks etc.

That and all of the disaster movies, and there was a lot of those.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:49 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Grizzly (1976)

(Full movie)

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Also bees (The Swarm). And killer whales (Orca). And piranha (Piranha). 🙂

Didn't that '70s disaster movie trend begin with The Poseidon Adventure? Then there were ones like Earthquake, Rollercoaster, etc., etc.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:21 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:49 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Also bees (The Swarm). And killer whales (Orca). And piranha (Piranha). 🙂

Didn't that '70s disaster movie trend begin with The Poseidon Adventure? Then there were ones like Earthquake, Rollercoaster, etc., etc.

Jim

Jim,

Something like that yeah.

Don't forget the Towering Inferno and the Airplane ones (Numerous Airport movies).

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Two favorite horror movies are Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein and the Wolfman and Tremors. Both are intentionally funny.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

It's just a jump to the left.

IMG_3231-1024x760-2264968263.jpeg
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:08 am
Two favorite horror movies are Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein and the Wolfman and Tremors. Both are intentionally funny.
I saw Tremors once a long time ago. Pretty good movie.

RustyIron wrote:

Surprisingly, I still haven't seen this. There used to be a local arthouse theater that played it every Friday late night for crowds of people who showed up dressed as the characters. That lasted for literally decades.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

White Noise (2005)

I had almost forgotten about this movie. I recall it being pretty good.

https://youtu.be/7v1G8IQBqj8

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:37 am
Doc Dan wrote:

RustyIron wrote:

Surprisingly, I still haven't seen this. There used to be a local arthouse theater that played it every Friday late night for crowds of people who showed up dressed as the characters. That lasted for literally decades.

Jim

Jim,

You aren't the only one, I have never seen it either and have no intention or interest in ever watching it.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:43 am
James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:37 am
Doc Dan wrote:

RustyIron wrote:

Jim

Jim,

You aren't the only one, I have never seen it either and have no intention or interest in ever watching it.

Jim

I'm pretty sure I won't, either.

Those once-a-week midnight showings at that theater lasted until the early 2000s. They must have had many copies of that film, because film breaks after awhile.

Jim