Favorite horror movies?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Favorite horror movies?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Three more of them:

The Hills Have Eyes series.

Jeepers Creepers series.

The Leprechaun series.

Basic run down:

1 In The Hills Have Eyes the plot is that back during the atomic bomb tests, there were rural people who refused to leave the radioactive areas and they and their children became horrible violent cannibalistic mutants who capture tourists and travellers and anyone foolhardy enough to go wandering around their desert lairs. Captive women are used for forced breeding to make a new generation of mutants and men are killed and eaten. Very graphic and disgustingly scary but also edge of your seat suspense.

2 Jeepers Creepers centers around some form of ancient humanoid monster called The Creeper. It hunts every 23 days or every 23rd spring. It scares its victims and uses the scent they emit to determine what or who it needs to feed on. It then enters a hibernation stage. The monster is intelligent and uses very strange-looking knives and other melee weapons to carry out its rampage, and it can drive. It drives a rusty truck.

Here is a very detailed overview of this vile monster:

https://jeeperscreepers.fandom.com/wiki/Creeper

3 The Leprechaun series of movies is based on the antics of an evil Leprechaun who attacks people and has powers and his favorite line is "my gold!".
James Y

Post by James Y »

Lamb (2021 trailer)

*Resurrecting this thread.

I just learned of this Icelandic movie and am intrigued. At the moment, I'm not sure how or where I'd be able to watch it.

https://youtu.be/hnEwJKVWjFM

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:53 pm
I saw The Mist (2007) again, and had completely forgotten how good a movie it is. One thing that Stephen King does well in his stories is show how human nature reveals itself when many people are stuck together in a small area. IMO, The Mist is also possibly the most heartbreaking of horror movies.

Jim

Jim,

Yeah he nailed human nature 100% dead bang on in The Mist.

Thomas Jane's character pretty much explained that and how and what was going to happen. And he was correct.

One really only has to look at history and that in itself has more than enough real life horror stories.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Well, Horror movies that I like.

The Shining

The Mist

John Carpenter's Vampires (1998)

The Stand (1994)

Event Horizon

Hellraiser 1, 2 and 3.

Legion (2010)

The Car (1977)

Christine (1983)

Maximum Overdrive (1986)

Alien

Aliens

The Thing

Prometheus

Alien vs Predator

Alien vs Predator Requiem

Salems Lot (1979)

Graveyard Shift (1986)

Dracula 2000

Dracula II: Ascension (2003)

Dracula III: Legacy (2005)

The Prophecy (1995) 5 Movies in this series

There are more.....
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Alien, The Thing, and Silence of the Lambs.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Final Destination franchise. I love the way the films interconnect and how they keep you guessing.
- Richard
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:30 am
James Y wrote:
I saw The Mist (2007) again, and had completely forgotten how good a movie it is. One thing that Stephen King does well in his stories is show how human nature reveals itself when many people are stuck together in a small area. IMO, The Mist is also possibly the most heartbreaking of horror movies.

Jim

Jim,

Thomas Jane's character pretty much explained that and how and what was going to happen. And he was correct.

One really only has to look at history and that in itself has more than enough real life horror stories.

Jim

True. IMO, in the better horror movies, it's the people and their actions in the situation that make the movies what they are. The 'monsters' (or whatever) are only the stimulus for that.

The best horror movies make you FEEL something for or about the characters.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:00 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

True. IMO, in the better horror movies, it's the people and their actions in the situation that make the movies what they are. The 'monsters' (or whatever) are only the stimulus for that.

Jim

Jim

I also like the Resident Evil Movies, most of them.. :cheap-sunglasses

The 1st 3 are the best IMO.

Based off the video game series.

In the games Jill was the main character, however in the movies they made Alice the main character instead.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:21 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim

In the games Jill was the main character, however in the movies they made Alice the main character instead.

Jim

TBH, the only Resident Evil movie I watched in full at a theater was the first one. I actually don't remember too much about it (which is quite unusual for me). It seems they later made Milla Jovovich's chacter into a superhero. I saw the last part of one of the movies on cable, where she was on a big ship, fighting and doing martial arts.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:28 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:21 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim

Jim

TBH, the only Resident Evil movie I watched in full at a theater was the first one. I actually don't remember too much about it (which is quite unusual for me). It seems they later made Milla Jovovich's chacter into a superhero. I saw the last part of one of the movies on cable, where she was on a big ship, fighting and doing martial arts.

Jim

Jim,

I think that was the 5th one.

I liked the 1st 3, they did a good job with those. :cheap-sunglasses

Yeah, they made Alice (Milla Jovovich) the main character. Her DNA bonded with the T Virus in the movies, that gave her super powers.

Jill Valentine (Sienna Guillory) was in 3 of the movies total. :-||

Jim
JessieJim

Post by JessieJim »

All films "The Conjuring", I became very attached to the main characters.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Howard's Mill (2021 trailer)

I mentioned this in the Sci-Fi movie thread, but decided I'd mention it here. Some people seem to think it's a documentary, but it's not; it's a "mockumentary." A fictional movie made to look like a documentary. But IMO, it's the best mockumentary-style movie I've seen. The acting is mostly quite good, and the story is plausible. It's also an independent film and not a Hollywood production.

As of right now, you can see the entire movie for free on YouTube.

Spoiler alert: The only part of the movie that sucked was literally the last few seconds of it, after the end credits rolled. It was totally unnecessary.

https://youtu.be/7QFvRL1JXCA

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I did not see JAWS listed yet. :cheap-sunglasses :cheap-sunglasses

One of the favorite ones.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:45 am

You know, I remember when Jaws first came out. I actually didn’t get to see it until late ‘75, after the summer was over. It was still very big in theaters. It’s a very good movie, but TBH, it didn’t scare me at all. Not that many horror movies do, but it felt more like an adventure movie than a horror movie to me. If that makes sense. And I was very much a CA beach kid; every summer, much of the time was spent in the waves. But Jaws hadn’t even given me pause about going into the water. I’d expected to be a little scared, from what I’d heard about the movie from other people, but nah.

I think a lot had to do with the really fake-looking shark. And I even recall it making a growl when it jumped onto the boat near the end. It looked like a monster shark you’d see in an amusement park ride. Actually, it was; not long after, the mechanical Jaws shark was used as a prop at the L.A. Universal Studios tour ride in the ‘70s.

Even though that Jaws shark was super fake, I’ll still take that any day of the week over a CGI shark.

I do think that Jaws deserves mention in this thread, if it wasn’t already.

Jim
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

My Favorite Horror Movies in Chronological Order (one horror movie per year from 1973 to 1982):

1. Psycho (1960)
2. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
3. Rosemary’s Baby (1968)
4. The Exorcist (1973)
5. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
6. Jaws (1975)
7. Carrie (1976)
8. Suspiria (1977)
9. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
10. Alien (1979)
11. The Shining (1980)
12. An American Werewolf in London (1981)
13. The Thing (1982)
14. The Fly (1986)
15. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
16. The Devil’s Backbone (2001)
17. 28 Days Later (2002)
18. Drag me to **** (2009)
19. A Quiet Place (2018)
20. A Quiet Place Part II (2021)
Last edited by RamZar on Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
James Y

Post by James Y »

Thanks, everyone, for your posts. They are all appreciated.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:21 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:45 am

You know, I remember when Jaws first came out. I actually didn’t get to see it until late ‘75, after the summer was over. It was still very big in theaters. It’s a very good movie, but TBH, it didn’t scare me at all. Not that many horror movies do, but it felt more like an adventure movie than a horror movie to me. If that makes sense. And I was very much a CA beach kid; every summer, much of the time was spent in the waves. But Jaws hadn’t even given me pause about going into the water. I’d expected to be a little scared, from what I’d heard about the movie from other people, but nah.

I think a lot had to do with the really fake-looking shark. And I even recall it making a growl when it jumped onto the boat near the end. It looked like a monster shark you’d see in an amusement park ride. Actually, it was; not long after, the mechanical Jaws shark was used as a prop at the L.A. Universal Studios tour ride in the ‘70s.

Even though that Jaws shark was super fake, I’ll still take that any day of the week over a CGI shark.

I do think that Jaws deserves mention in this thread, if it wasn’t already.

Jim

Jim,

Yes, the mechanical shark...

However some of the underwater shots were of real sharks. Like the shark that attacked the cage for real.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Tentacles (1977 trailer)

This movie capatalized on the popularity of Jaws (Tentacles, get it?), and it was filmed locally; that's the main reason I went to see it. The other reason was because some kids I knew from school appeared as extras in a beach scene. Otherwise, the movie was (and is) terrible.

Funny enough, at the beginning of the trailer when he says Ocean Beach, it shows the breakwater at La Jolla Cove, several miles north of OB.

https://youtu.be/NMDDAv8g54w

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:20 am
Tentacles (1977 trailer)

This movie capatalized on the popularity of Jaws (Tentacles, get it?), and it was filmed locally; that's the main reason I went to see it. The other reason was because some kids I knew from school appeared as extras in a beach scene. Otherwise, the movie was (and is) terrible.

Funny enough, at the beginning of the trailer when he says Ocean Beach, it shows La Jolla.

Jim

Jim,

That movie was pretty bad. :confounded

Lots of cheese in that one. :rofl

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:23 am
James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:20 am
Tentacles (1977 trailer)

Funny enough, at the beginning of the trailer when he says Ocean Beach, it shows La Jolla.

Jim

Jim,

That movie was pretty bad. :confounded

Lots of cheese in that one. :rofl

Jim

Yeah, that was definitely one of those BAD '70s horror films. 😄 I remember seeing it at the drive-in, and all the kids were screaming and shouting when they saw themselves and/or friends onscreen in the beach scene.

Jim