Favorite horror movies?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Favorite horror movies?

Post by James Y »

I agree with you about Rosemary's Baby. It's definitely one of the most disturbing horror movies, and certainly one of the horror films where the evil wins in the end.

A good ghost story-type movie is 'The Innocents' (1961). A lot of people seem to consider it one of the best and creepiest ghost story movies, but although I thought it was good, when I finally saw it, it didn't impress me as much as I had expected. Of course, YMMV.

I haven't seen 'The Changeling' (1980) in a long time, but I remember it was really good.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

A couple of good Japanese animated (anime) horror films are:

Perfect Blue (1997): A psychological thriller.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (2000): A got his, futuristic vampire fantasy.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:12 pm
I agree with you about Rosemary's Baby. It's definitely one of the most disturbing horror movies, and certainly one of the horror films where the evil wins in the end.

A good ghost story-type movie is 'The Innocents' (1961). A lot of people seem to consider it one of the best and creepiest ghost story movies, but although I thought it was good, when I finally saw it, it didn't impress me as much as I had expected. Of course, YMMV.

I haven't seen 'The Changeling' (1980) in a long time, but I remember it was really good.
The most interesting aspect of that particular Roman Polanski movie was that during the time period in which they made it was very close to the time that his wife Sharon Tate was murdered by the Manson Family along with 5 other people in that Cielo Drive house close to Hollywood where he and his wife lived at the time. It's also most interesting in a dark manner that Hollywood itself has a horribly dark history. Also the murder of the Black Dahlia comes to mind as well. One of many Hollywood murders that never got solved. And the Black Dahlia murder had a lot of horrific macabre aspects to it just like the Manson/Tate murders did. It's really eerie that all of those events happened in a relatively short period of time.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

It's conjecture that they knew who killed the Black Dahlia, but couldn't prove it.

They just did an interesting 2019 TNT TV mini series on the fellow, "I Am the Night".

Apparently he was a real piece of work. Some people like him for the Zodiac Killer too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hodel
James Y

Post by James Y »

shunsui wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:23 am
It's conjecture that they knew who killed the Black Dahlia, but couldn't prove it.

They just did an interesting 2019 TNT TV mini series on the fellow, "I Am the Night".

Apparently he was a real piece of work. Some people like him for the Zodiac Killer too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hodel
I really doubt that Hodel could have been the Zodiac Killer. He would have been too old, and doesn't match descriptions given by witnesses. I suspect that the Zodiac was two or more people doing the killings, but only one of whom (or a third or fourth person?) actually wrote the letters, working together or cooperating in some way to make it seem like it was a single person.

As for the Black Dahlia killer, some people suspect that he (them?) and the Cleveland Torso Murderer were one and the same.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm going to stick to my guns that the Zodiac Killer was/is most likely a player in "military intelligence". It almost has to be someone of that caliber and skill to have pulled off what the ZODIAC Killer has gotten away with>> or at least has eluded authorities up till now. However I do believe that whoever the Zodiac was he is probably dead by now>> or he's in his mid to late 90s or whichever.

As far as the Black Dahlia is concerned it might just be a case of some movie executive wanting to bed down with her and she adamantly refused. Because there are just so many of those Hollywood starlets, up & comers and "wannabees" that literally did "sleep" their way to the top. I could name off at least a dozen Hollywood women that would fit that description but I'll spare you all the disappointment. And maybe the Black Dahlia had a little more integrity than most of the girls in "Tinsel Town" :rolleyes: Because most movie executives do not like to be told "NO!!" go figure.

But again when you consider the timing of "Rosemary's Baby" and all the events that happened during that era is to me at least most interesting in a very macabre manner.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I can see you two are vested in all this stuff. I still like George Hodel for the deeds, but you come back and let us know when appropriate solutions meets your approval. :p
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

shunsui wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:56 am
I can see you two are vested in all this stuff. I still like George Hodel for the deeds, but you come back and let us know when appropriate solutions meets your approval. :p
Oh now I'm not so jaded that I won't listen to other possibilities. Because to be down to earth about it at this point only the Zodiac and GOD are the only ones who know for sure who the real ZODIAC killer is. Why might I ask are you so convinced that this "George Hodel" is the guilty party??

Also there are still folks out there that firmly believe that "Bruce Davis" of the Manson Family is the real ZODIAC Killer. But again whoever this guy is he was extremely crafty and highly unpredictable which is why my current vote would still go to someone who had been experienced in the "military intelligence" field. But my guess is just simply an estimated guess like anyone else's would be at this point. It might just be a crime that just never gets solved like "Jack The Ripper" or Marilyn Monroe's killer for that matter.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:16 am
Why might I ask are you so convinced that this "George Hodel" is the guilty party??
As detailed in the Wiki above, I like the way it all comes together. Gut feeling really.
Truth be told, when I saw James Ellroy wrote the forward to Steve Hodel's original book, I figured there was something interesting here.

Over the years since 2003, Steve Hodel has been finding more information, which he details in three more books.

Here's a video on the zodiac's cipher decryption back in 2015 showing the name: Hodel.

https://youtu.be/cQj6KPlK7Nk

Neal Adams fans might find this interesting also:

https://stevehodel.com/2018/01/31/artis ... e-drawing/
James Y

Post by James Y »

One of the reasons I feel that the ?zodiac killer was *at least* two people is from witness descriptions. One description was from someone who saw the killer when Paul Stine, the cab driver, was killed, and described him as lean, with light, close-cropped hair and with glasses,..the police sketch looked like a million guys. Michael Mageau, a survivor of the Zodiac, had seen him and adamantly identified Arthur Leigh Allen out of a photo lineup as the killer. The description of the cab driver's killer was completely different from that of Arthur Leigh Allen.

I'm not saying I'm right or anybody else is wrong, but it's also something to think about.

As I mentioned before, there are some who suspect that the Cleveland Torso Murderer may also have been the Black Dahlia murderer. Maybe, maybe not. The Cleveland Torso case was one case that Eliot Ness failed to solve. IIRC, when the killings stopped, the Cleveland police got a note from the killer saying he had moved to sunny California. This would have been at a proper timelin, provided the letter writer really was the Torso murderer, and really had gone to CA, as opposed to the letter being a red herring. Again, I'm not saying the Cleveland Torso murderer is the Black Dahlia killer, but it's something else to consider.

BTW: I do believe Hodel is a very good suspect for the Black Dahlia murder.

Now...back to the subject of movies, the 2009 movie "Zodiac" was pretty good, but IMO, it did not veer too far outside of mainstream thought. It's not a horror movie, though; it's a crime/suspense movie based on the 1986 non-fiction book by Robert Graysmith.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Now don't get me wrong because I do respect and I'm considering what both you guys have brought to the table concerning the ZODIAC Killer. It's for sure not an easy case to solve because the very best of the very best in detective and law enforcement ( Federal & State) couldn't solve this one>> at least not as of yet anyway.

The reason I adamantly stick to the theory of someone in the Military Intelligence field is for about a half a dozen reasons. First and foremost this guy would have access to all kinds of information and also have access to all kinds of high tech weaponry ( at least high-tech for that time period anyway).

He obviously had the skills of eluding the best and brightest across the entire spectrum of governmental agencies and law enforcement. Plus someone in military intelligence would have access to a lot of information that even most serial killers would not have available to them. On top of everything else the guys/gals in military intelligence are so well trained compared to even your best Federal Agent or highest ranking city or state law enforcement professional. My late uncle who was very high up in the Air Force told me before he died that Military Intelligence was truly in a league of it's own and most people didn't even have a clue of who the players were>> also most law enforcement probably wouldn't have the skill to track down a rogue agent of Military Intelligence.

I believe it was a rogue/evil guy who for sadistic pleasure went over to the dark side for his own sick entertainment. Sure it's a wild guess>> but to me it's a wild guess with some substance to it. But I could be totally wrong. Obviously no else has figured it out yet either so my guess as of now is as good or better than anyone's.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I do believe that Zodiac could have been a black op, but involving more than one person.

Back to horror films, of all the werewolf movies, my all-time favorite werewolf transformation scene is in the first 'The Howling' (1981). IMO, it's even better than the one in 'An American Werewolf In London', although I feel the latter is definitely the better movie. I feel that the transformation scenes in both of those movies are much better than the current CGI werewolf shape-shifts, like in the Underorld movies or in Van Helsing. And while 'The Wolfman' remake from several years back was a great movie overall, I prefer my movie werewolves to be wolf-headed, with long snouts and canine rear legs/hocks, as opposed to having a flat Shih Tzu face/pug-nosed, like the Wolfman and other werewolves in the older horror movies. IMO, the more wolf-like werewolves represent more of a complete 'shapeshift' from human to animal, while the flat-faced, human-legged ones look 'incomplete'.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:21 pm
I do believe that Zodiac could have been a black op, but involving more than one person.

Back to horror films, of all the werewolf movies, my all-time favorite werewolf transformation scene is in the first 'The Howling' (1981). IMO, it's even better than the one in 'An American Werewolf In London', although I feel the latter is definitely the better movie. I feel that the transformation scenes in both of those movies are much better than the current CGI werewolf shape-shifts, like in the Underorld movies or in Van Helsing. And while 'The Wolfman' remake from several years back was a great movie overall, I prefer my movie werewolves to be wolf-headed, with long snouts and canine rear legs/hocks, as opposed to having a flat Shih Tzu face/pug-nosed, like the Wolfman and other werewolves in the older horror movies. IMO, the more wolf-like werewolves represent more of a complete 'shapeshift' from human to animal, while the flat-faced, human-legged ones look 'incomplete'.
On Saturday nights we have a channel that shows old movies all night long and they specialize in old horror movies. This past winter they showed some of the old original WereWolf movies with Lon Chaney and Lon Chaney Jr. I liked Lon Chaney Jr. much better and I wish I could think of the name of that one I saw in February. For some strange reason I have a special place in my heart for older horror movies and have always been intrigued by them. One month ago I got to see one of the original Dracula movies with Bella Lugosi>> he really was a great actor for that time period and a perfect guy to play Dracula. Also Boris Karloff wasn't bad in the original Frankenstein movies either.

The original "Night Of The Living Dead" is still one I like as well. The newer zombie movies just aren't as entertaining as the original IMO. Also I got to see one of those older "Creature Of The Dark Lagoon" this past winter as well. I also used to love Mad Scientist type movies as well.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:08 pm
James Y wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:21 pm

On Saturday nights we have a channel that shows old movies all night long and they specialize in old horror movies. This past winter they showed some of the old original WereWolf movies with Lon Chaney and Lon Chaney Jr. I liked Lon Chaney Jr. much better and I wish I could think of the name of that one I saw in February. For some strange reason I have a special place in my heart for older horror movies and have always been intrigued by them. One month ago I got to see one of the original Dracula movies with Bella Lugosi>> he really was a great actor for that time period and a perfect guy to play Dracula. Also Boris Karloff wasn't bad in the original Frankenstein movies either.

The original "Night Of The Living Dead" is still one I like as well. The newer zombie movies just aren't as entertaining as the original IMO. Also I got to see one of those older "Creature Of The Dark Lagoon" this past winter as well. I also used to love Mad Scientist type movies as well.
When I was a kid (around 1972-73), I was really into the magazine 'Famous Monsters of Filmland'. They had a lot of stories of the old classic monster movies of the '20s, '30s, '40s and early '50s. Then on ?Friday nights, there was a movie channel that played old horror movies, like the original Frankenstein, Deacula, Wolfman (and their spinoffs, like Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman, etc., The Mummy, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligary, Creature From The Black Lagoon, The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, etc. I even had the entire collection of Aurora classic monster models.

That channel also began showing the Hammer versions of the classic monster movies from the late '50s to early '60s. My favorite Dracula actor was Christopher Lee, who also played the Frankenstein monster and the mummy. My favorite Hammer Dracula movie was Horror of Dracula. At that time, my favorite werewolf movie was 'Curse of the Werewolf'. Other Hammer favorites were The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas (my all-time favorite Hammer film) and The Gorgon.

As for zombie movies, I also feel the older George Romero movies were the best. In particular, Night of the Living Dead (1968) and Dawn of the Dead (1978). This current zombie craze has pretty much ruined the zombie genre for me, as it's become a jokey cliche. But way back then, even Dawn of the Dead (which had comedic and social commentary elements to it) had an air of menace to it that the new zombie movies and TV shows completely lack. I did like 28 Days Later, but not its sequel, and TBH, 28 Days Later is not technically a 'zombie' movie. The 'zombies' in that movie were not 'undead'.

As for werewolves, once I saw original The Howling in the theater when it first came out, my image of and preference in movie werewolves completely shifted, and they had to be more canine-looking than the older werewolf movies (for me). I remember that first complete transformation scene totally blew me away at the time.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a horror film, but "Dragonslayer" (1981) was always my favorite fantasy movie, and IMO it has the best onscreen dragon ever. I loved the special effects back in '81, and although crude by modern standards, they still hold up. Not only that, but IMHO the dragon is more realistic than the purely CGI dragons in more recent years. The movie does have some horror aspects to it.

Jim
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I watched the Howling, Dragonslayer, and living dead movies. All scary. Here is a question for you James: If a person had a functional disintegration pistol that had a perpetual battery power source, so it never ran out of energy, and the device functioned like a Star Trek phaser, would the person who had that be able to easilly dispatch both the zombies, werewolves, vampires, and dragons in those movies, if they were in those movie worlds?
James Y

Post by James Y »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:31 pm
I watched the Howling, Dragonslayer, and living dead movies. All scary. Here is a question for you James: If a person had a functional disintegration pistol that had a perpetual battery power source, so it never ran out of energy, and the device functioned like a Star Trek phaser, would the person who had that be able to easilly dispatch both the zombies, werewolves, vampires, and dragons in those movies, if they were in those movie worlds?
Yes, I suppose so, but that would depend on the movie worlds, and how indestructible the filmmakers wanted the monsters to be. Zombies? Certainly. Werewolves and dragons? Probably. Vampires? Maybe, maybe not. That would depend on if the vampire in question could shapeshift into a mist-like form, and could do it in time. If you could catch it asleep in its coffin and zap it? Almost definitely.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When you get down and really think about it you really can put "Horror Movies" in two distinct categories. First of all most horror movies could fall into the fantasy/fiction sector and there are also a few that are supposed to be based on true stories>> the latter are truly in a category of their own.

The biggest example I could think of off the top of my head would be "The Amityville Horror" which was supposed to be based on true events that happened on Long Island, New York back in the late 60s/early 70s era. But that isn't the only one. The EXORCIST was also based on true events documented by the Catholic Church but they changed the location and the sex of the child for reasons of privacy and protecting the actual persons involved.

To me the ones based on true stories are the ones that give me the creeps the very most>> with the possible exception of a couple of Stephen King's masterpieces. Right now I wish more than anything else that some Hollywood producer would take David Paulides 411 Missing Persons Stories which are true by the way and make a detailed movie along those lines. Personally I couldn't think of anything more horrifying than someone's loved one literally disappearing into this air so to speak.

Every time I hear David Paulides on one of the more popular talk shows it gives me the creeps far more than any of the versions of Pet Sematary or any of the older super classic horror movies for that matter. When you leave the theater knowing that the events depicted in the movie really happened I believe it puts it in a completely different paradigm all together. There is just something about hearing of an actual event that gives me the creeps far more than any made up story ever did for me. Also it really gives the viewer something to really ponder as to just go away thinking that we they just saw was nothing but pure fiction based on someone's unbridled imagination. Real versus "made up">> to me it's not even close.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:02 pm
When you get down and really think about it you really can put "Horror Movies" in two distinct categories. First of all most horror movies could fall into the fantasy/fiction sector and there are also a few that are supposed to be based on true stories>> the latter are truly in a category of their own.

The biggest example I could think of off the top of my head would be "The Amityville Horror" which was supposed to be based on true events that happened on Long Island, New York back in the late 60s/early 70s era. But that isn't the only one. The EXORCIST was also based on true events documented by the Catholic Church but they changed the location and the sex of the child for reasons of privacy and protecting the actual persons involved.

To me the ones based on true stories are the ones that give me the creeps the very most>> with the possible exception of a couple of Stephen King's masterpieces. Right now I wish more than anything else that some Hollywood producer would take David Paulides 411 Missing Persons Stories which are true by the way and make a detailed movie along those lines. Personally I couldn't think of anything more horrifying than someone's loved one literally disappearing into this air so to speak.

Every time I hear David Paulides on one of the more popular talk shows it gives me the creeps far more than any of the versions of Pet Sematary or any of the older super classic horror movies for that matter. When you leave the theater knowing that the events depicted in the movie really happened I believe it puts it in a completely different paradigm all together. There is just something about hearing of an actual event that gives me the creeps far more than any made up story ever did for me. Also it really gives the viewer something to really ponder as to just go away thinking that we they just saw was nothing but pure fiction based on someone's unbridled imagination. Real versus "made up">> to me it's not even close.
I find horror movies based on real events a mixed bag. Some, like The Exorcist, are excellent, but especially in recent years, "based on real events" is used very loosely. A great example of that is the movies in "The Conjuring" universe. The movies are actually altered a lot from the true cases for cinematic effect.

IMO, one very recent horror movie that is completely fictional but is presented in a way that very well COULD have been real is "Hereditary". I've mentioned it a couple of times before. IMO, it's the best Hollywood supernatural horror film in decades. It's quite amazing that it doesn't seem to get more mention than it does. The way it's presented and acted is a lot more believable than any of the movies in "The Conjuring" universe, including the "Annabelle" films. It doesn't over-rely on cheap jump scares, nor does it have any of the screaming ghost faces rushing at the camera that are so prevalent in most Hollywood supernatural horror movies today. Even though horror movies don't actually scare me per se, I do find "Hereditary" creepier than "Rosemary's Baby".

It's interesting that you mention David Paulides and Missing 411 as possible source material for a movie. TBH, I'm not sure it would work as a Hollywood movie. For one thing, the makers would have to tread carefully, especially if immediate family and other loved ones of the disappeared are still alive. Of course, the filmmakers could change the names and even the location involved in a particular case. But in all likelihood, the filmmakers would "spice it up" to make it more cinematic. Because the real-life cases, as creepy as they are, may or may not work in a cinematic context without a great deal of creative license. Add to that the fact that David Paulides himself admits he doesn't know what the real cause or causes are, only that it/they are unknown.

In addition to his books, David Paulides has a Missing 411 video documentary with real family members telling their story(s). I've watched it once, and as far as the documentary goes, I find the books far more interesting. The case or cases presented in the documentary are NOT among the more bizarre cases. While interesting and well-done, it drags in many spots. If a dramatic movie were presented in a similar way, IMO it would probably not succeed at the box office. I know it sounds callous to say that, as the documentary gives surviving family members an opportunity to tell their stories on camera and to get the word out. I just don't know if Hollywood would be willing or able to adapt these cases into movie form without messing them up, or have the ability to base an entire storyline around any one case, especially not knowing what the actual cause or causes are.

One thing that might work as a movie is, rather than focusing on any one case, have it focus on David Paulides as a character, and how he discovered and began researching the more unusual missing cases ignored by the National Forest Service. That, too, could end up being a double-edged sword, with cynics probably accusing Paulides of "cashing in," like some have already accused him of doing with just his books(!).

IMO, another pretty good recent American horror movie is "The Witch" (2015). While not quite at the level of "Hereditary", IMO "The Witch" (set sometime in the late 1600s) gives a fairly realistic feeling of what Puritan life in the New World could very well have been like, and there is a dark sense of foreboding throughout the movie. There is also one scene that features a disappearance not unlike some of the Missing 411 cases.

Jim
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

^ I enjoyed The VVitch.

I like the James Wan directed films: Insidious (2010), The Conjuring (2013), Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013), and The Conjuring 2 (2016). Especially the ones with Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga. My favorites, already mentioned, are Rosemary's Baby (1968) and The Exorcist (1973), the latter I didn't get to see as I was too young - so I caught it later lol.

A blast from the past: Island of Lost Souls (1932).

Are we not men?
What is the Law?
Not to eat meat.
That is the Law.

I liked David Robert Mitchell's It Follows (2014). He's got another one out that's available to stream - Under the Silver Lake (2018).

trailer