How do you store your knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mom3ntuM

How do you store your knives?

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I don't know if this has been a topic before i Was a member here, but I'm curious and I ask anyway. :)
So, how do you store your knives and why?

I use bøker knife vaults, they Have 12 separate fully padded slots So the knives don't rub against eachother, It can be a hassle to find the knife you are looking for as you need to take the knife partially out to identify It.
I use Them in two different colours, Black for spyders and greenish for other. :)
I keep Them in the top compartment Of my gunsafe, not because I'm afraid to get robbed, but i Have two curious Kids and they are only allowed to play with knives when I'm around. :)
My fixed blades are stored in the shelves on The door.
1553198026494814.jpg
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
The Mastiff

Re: How do you store your knives?

Post by The Mastiff »

I store them in their boxes when possible. It helps me keep track and if something happens to me my next of kin will have a large job clearing my stuff out and getting whatever value he can out of them.

I insure they are cleaned of any salt or corrosive stuff, lube the joints/bearing surfaces and usually apply a thick layer of good paste wax. This keeps even the carbon and tool steel knives intact and insures that if I left a fingerprint somewhere on the blade accidentally it won't become permanent. IME That should keep it for a year or more here in NC in normal conditions where it gets pretty humid.

Joe
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Apache cases (pelican knock offs) from harbor freight. Cut out the foam, insert knives, profit.

Even have one for all my sharpening stuff!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I finally bought one of those roller drawer tool boxes. I put down that non skid stuff they sell in the kitchen section and some foam to go between each knife. I figured the cost was nothing compared to what I spent on the knives. Before that I had them piled up in a locker. It costs me about the same as 1 higher end knife. Now I can lock them too.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Got most of the Spyderco knives stored in their boxes(50 or so)inside an old Oak N Brass dresser with cedar lined drawers! This also includes other makers high end offerings. ...a lot of those with zipper pouches. Another large group are rolled into large spyderco knife rolls....including Spyderco, ZT , ColdSteel, Bestech, Ruike, TOPS, RealSteel, Kizer, Viper, LionSteel, etc ! Most are in soft knife "bags" like Benchmade provides and are users with mirror polished edges.

The smaller fixed blades are in my ammo cabinet and the larger ones in my clothes closet up on top shelf. Any non stainless knife gets a coating of EDCI (folders) and Liberty oil (fixed blades) proactively, The coated blades only get lubed on the edges !

Since I live in a dry climate this may be overkill, But what the ****, I'm having fun using and maintaining them!

James

I've also stored user knives in every car (including offroad prerunner ) and RV. There's also a couple knives permanently by my bed , in my wife's purse/backpack, "junk" drawer, portable toolbox, and drill/impact driver bag. Go figure. . :p
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Extra330SC wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:35 pm
permanently by my bed
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Typically in their boxes in locked drawers, however when traveling and taking some tools with me I find this waxed canvas roll from Hide & Drink carrys some of my others well!

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

It really all depends on time, money, where you live and what you are willing to do to save a collection.

I do not own any safes. I do not have any children in the house. I have 85 knives at an invested value of just under $20,000, and over the next 5yrs I can see that staying the same or doubling.

On my desk there are approximately 10 folders, and on my bed there are 3 fixed blades, the rest are in their original boxes or in storage containers.

Right now I have two very large plastic storage containers that are air tight from STORABLES. I need to buy more. In each of the two containers that I am using I have a small digital tool for measuring humidity and temp, and a large box of reusable desiccant. Every once in a while I check on the knives and desiccant to see if it needs to go in to the oven to refresh it.

I was a little too quick when I bought "coatings" for the knives. I was looking for something but I did not know what I was looking for and wasted a little money. The solution that I have decided to implement for long term storage is Renaissance Wax. I have the wax but have not yet applied it to any of my knives. It will go on all knives this Summer.

Before I bought the wax, I considered, and still consider Cosmoline and improved versions of Cosmoline RP-342. It really depends on what I plan to buy as far as edged weapons goes. I have Frog Lube, and WD-40 solutions. I also considered Robar NP3, DLC, and other coatings...but in the end I decided the wax was as far as I would go for now.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I use simple plastic storage boxes originally made for DVDs.
Most folding knives have the right thickness to fit perfectly, no wiggle but not too compressed either

Have several of those boxes, they cost me 1 Euro each at the flea market :o

soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Wow... That's a good idea!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela