Off-Topic vs. *Off-Topic*

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TazKristi

Off-Topic vs. *Off-Topic*

Post by TazKristi »

Hey, everyone:
Recently I've seen several threads in Off-Topic that have made me do a double-take. We try to give you a considerable amount of latitude in the Off-Topic section and we try to keep our rules as simple as possible. Our community is filled with people from all around the world. We have people from many different cultures and generations. We have men, boys, women, and girls. Not surprisingly, we all have many different beliefs, priorities, interests, and levels of knowledge about various topics. We often don't know the particulars of a member when we start a discussion or jump into one. Are they 19 or 42? Are they in the U.S. or somewhere across the pond? We don't know what we don't know.

The two things that we all have in common is a passion for knives and interest in (or passion for) Spyderco. I believe the Off-Topic area is one that actually plays a large part in strengthing our community. It's a place where topics are explored (hopefully) without judgment, with an open mind, and often with a healthy sense of humor. Some topics are more serious and it's the strength of our community that keeps those discussions on-point, respectful and allows members to share and gain knowledge. Off-Topic often allows members to share a little more of their personality.

I see great value in the discussions that take place in the Off-Topic section. Not because of the specific topics discussed but rather because of the comradery between members. Sure, we support each other in our quest for the elusive grail or our passion for a new model in General Discussion but Off-Topic... that's where we celebrate birthdays, share the birth of a child, the loss of a loved one, frustration from work, or even just seek out trusted opinions over products that aren't related to Spyderco. It's also where we dream; it's the "What if..." that fascinates so many of us (What if cars could fly? Superman vs. Batman? Transparent aluminum and other sci-fi realities.)

What are two things that we do not discuss in Off-Topic (or elsewhere on this forum)? Politics and religion. We purposefully didn't get granular in our description of these two topics. They're kind of umbrellas of sorts.

If you are about to post something that must be prefaced with something along the lines of "let's steer clear of"... you are probably about to post something that could spiral under one of the aforementioned umbrella topics. Maybe, don't post it.

If you are about to post something that "paints" an entire or large group of people with a "broad brush"... maybe, don't post it. Odds are there is someone from that group of people on our forum who probably doesn't fit the generalization.

If you are about to post something that is typically considered polarizing elsewhere but it isn't specifically against our simple rules here... maybe, don't post it. If it's polarizing outside of this space, I can guarantee it will be polarizing here too. I can add more rules but I'd really rather not.

I would like to ask that we all remember what brings us here and what keeps us coming back. I would ask that we bear in mind the breadth and depth of our community and that we make respect for others a priority. The thoughtfulness of our community is one of the (best) things that sets our forum apart from so many others. I'm not saying that we won't disagree with each other. It's our ability to be thoughtful in disagreements that help make this place special. The world is full of divisive thoughts and words and there are plenty of places on the internet to share them. Let's not add our space here to that all-too-long list of ordinary and average.

Thanks for reading. Thanks for contributing. Most of all, thanks for being you. Each of you, differences and all, are valued here.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
wrdwrght

Re: Off-Topic vs. *Off-Topic*

Post by wrdwrght »

Sticky. Please!
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:04 pm
Sticky. Please!
It's already stuck. ;) I plan on leaving it up top for a bit.

Kristi
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

TazKristi wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:10 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:04 pm
Sticky. Please!
It's already stuck. ;) I plan on leaving it up top for a bit.

Kristi
:o
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Thank you, Kristi, for all you do!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thank you!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Thank you Kristi!

Just want to share my thoughts that it is difficult to segregate the politics and religion / beliefs from some of the topics such as health (beliefs) and tax treaty or trade war (politics).

I did refrain from commenting on several health discussions as it is unavoidable not to go into beliefs.
Chris :spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Noted, Thanks Kristi.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Thanks, Kristi.

What I really like about some of the threads on this forum is that they challenge my preconceptions and open my mind to opinions that, frankly, get little airtime where I am.

Also, If I can be open to understanding between myself and people 000’s of miles away, maybe this can happen between myself and people much closer to me, (although in fairness that is a fair bit tougher, sometimes....)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

TazKristi wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:49 am
Are they 19 or 42?
Are you implying 42 is old, Kristi? (cough, cough) 😄

Hmmmmm?

Ken
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

kbuzbee wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:16 am
TazKristi wrote:
Are they 19 or 42?
Are you implying 42 is old, Kristi? (cough, cough) 😄

Hmmmmm?

Ken
Not even a little bit. ;)
PStone

Post by PStone »

Will do! Thank you Kristi and Spyderco for all you do to keep having a place like this for us all!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

TazKristi wrote:

If you are about to post something that must be prefaced with something along the lines of "let's steer clear of"... you are probably about to post something that could spiral under one of the aforementioned umbrella topics. Maybe, don't post it.

If you are about to post something that "paints" an entire or large group of people with a "broad brush"... maybe, don't post it. Odds are there is someone from that group of people on our forum who probably doesn't fit the generalization.

If you are about to post something that is typically considered polarizing elsewhere but it isn't specifically against our simple rules here... maybe, don't post it. If it's polarizing outside of this space, I can guarantee it will be polarizing here too. I can add more rules but I'd really rather not.

Thanks for reading. Thanks for contributing. Most of all, thanks for being you. Each of you, differences and all, are valued here.

Kristi

Just like my friend who frequently says "no offense, but..." and then proceeds to insult you, or your family and friends (himself excluded of course)... ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Kristi, I have a question about this: Can we make statements that help people have a greater understanding about various steel and knives made in various countries, and by various people, but as long as we are striving to be respectful and not disparage groups of people, that is acceptable?

As an example: Can we make comments and statements about steel made in China and how, for example, one believes the Chinese have great potential to make quality steel, as those of us on the forum know, if there is a market for it? That kind of a discussion is okay?
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:17 pm
Kristi, I have a question about this: Can we make statements that help people have a greater understanding about various steel and knives made in various countries, and by various people, but as long as we are striving to be respectful and not disparage groups of people, that is acceptable?

As an example: Can we make comments and statements about steel made in China and how, for example, one believes the Chinese have great potential to make quality steel, as those of us on the forum know, if there is a market for it? That kind of a discussion is okay?
Hi, SEF:
Yes, that is perfectly OK. ;)

Kristi
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:12 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:17 pm

Hi, SEF:
Yes, that is perfectly OK. ;)

Kristi
Thank you very much and I and others appreciate you and your efforts to make this a very excellent discussion forum. :)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

? Just asking....

Which post in "FIREARM LAWS: So Few Know How We Got Here" was out of bounds. Everyone is posting about firearms.

NOTE: I do not own any firearms, and corruption of the 2nd Amendment effects knife and firearm collectors.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:25 pm
? Just asking....

Which post in "FIREARM LAWS: So Few Know How We Got Here" was out of bounds. Everyone is posting about firearms.

NOTE: I do not own any firearms, and corruption of the 2nd Amendment effects knife and firearm collectors.

You are not alone in wondering that. IMHO, it that thread was "politcal", then all of the Knife Rights threads are political.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I did not read the thread that I recall. However, if Kristi says something is off limits then we have to abide by that. Sometimes we can all accidentally cross the line. Also, some people will not stay true to the original intent of the thread. That happens. So, we just need to move on, I think.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:51 am
Naperville wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:25 pm
? Just asking....

You are not alone in wondering that. IMHO, it that thread was "politcal", then all of the Knife Rights threads are political.
100%, and please let's keep these discussions going. These are very serious issues for everyone globally. Laws passed in one country are often considered good examples to pass on to others in a second country.

As I said, I don't own any firearms, however I do own 85 knives and I carry those deemed legal in my state. It behooves everyone to read "Unintended Consequences" because of laws that erode our rights.

In the USA, the 2nd Amendment according to "DC vs Heller" are 2nd Amendment militia arms, and that includes 100% of Spyderco's knives. 100%! In the UK, they are considering confiscating kitchen knives, and you need an ID to buy one. We do not want that happening in the USA.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/