Off-Topic vs. *Off-Topic*

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
wrdwrght

Re: Off-Topic vs. *Off-Topic*

Post by wrdwrght »

Naperville wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:50 pm
The Deacon wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:51 am
Naperville wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:25 pm
? Just asking....

Which post in "FIREARM LAWS: So Few Know How We Got Here" was out of bounds. Everyone is posting about firearms.

NOTE: I do not own any firearms, and corruption of the 2nd Amendment effects knife and firearm collectors.
You are not alone in wondering that. IMHO, it that thread was "politcal", then all of the Knife Rights threads are political.
100%, and please let's keep these discussions going. These are very serious issues for everyone globally. Laws passed in one country are often considered good examples to pass on to others in a second country.

As I said, I don't own any firearms, however I do own 85 knives and I carry those deemed legal in my state. It behooves everyone to read "Unintended Consequences" because of laws that erode our rights.

In the USA, the 2nd Amendment according to "DC vs Heller" are 2nd Amendment militia arms, and that includes 100% of Spyderco's knives. 100%! In the UK, they are considering confiscating kitchen knives, and you need an ID to buy one. We do not want that happening in the USA.
Your posts here regarding a thread that a mod has closed is walking right over the guidance that Kristi was trying to give in this thread.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I want to thank you again, Kristi and sal, for maintaining such a great forum where we can discuss the main topic: Spyderco knives and all that goes along with them, and, other topics in the off topic section that are very fascinating and which we can all learn alot from, in a respectful manner. Thank you!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Will be hard to avoid politics. It never sleeps and it affects our ability to own and use the knives of our choice. In some places we can challenge laws and get them changed. In others, not so much and things are getting worse. This is part of our collective reality. Discussing the issues contributes to our community, to our camaraderie. Glad to have y’all here!
OrangeShoes

Post by OrangeShoes »

I think ' off topic' refers to other topics not related to the content of the main forum.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

It can be (and sometimes is) argued that everything is political, but unlike discussions of rights that are pretty closely related to knives as a tool and hobby (I'd call both knife rights and gun right questions pretty relevant, at least in the US where both are still mostly legal), other partisan political stances tend to be deeply polarizing and not germane to our interest in knives. Being that most of us can agree on supporting the right to pursue out interest in knives, it doesn't cause friction even if the arguments may fit into a partisan narrative. OTOH, other topics related to politics are not productive to our common interest and tend to spiral into infighting and lead to personal attacks which I think we agree are not in the spirit of this forum. So agreed, these can absolutely be considered political and in a different forum might also lead to infighting. Here, though, they interestingly lead to unity and educating forum members in how to keep their interests as a safe and legal hobby.
OrangeShoes

Post by OrangeShoes »

Do "off-topic" discussions be anything under the sun that a member wanted to talk about? There are forums that have off-topics that allow anything but there are some that are still related to the main site's major discussion.

Quite confused ---
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

OrangeShoes wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:48 pm
Do "off-topic" discussions be anything under the sun that a member wanted to talk about? There are forums that have off-topics that allow anything but there are some that are still related to the main site's major discussion.

Quite confused ---
I don't think "off topic" = "any topic".
york

Post by york »

"Off-topic" is more likely for topics that clearly cannot be attributed to the main topic of the forum. The maximum approximate, which the authors could not identify in more specialized