If only Global used better steel...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
awa54

If only Global used better steel...

Post by awa54 »

I love the concept, blade patterns and especially the handle shapes of Global brand kitchen knives, but the fact that they're made of AUS6 at only moderate hardness is a deal breaker for me...

I find it interesting that a company that's so progressive in design, can be so uninspired in materials choice. I keep hoping that "next year" they move on to VG-10 or some other steel that holds an edge better, working or acute, I'd take either.

As it stands I still own a couple Globals, but the much more conservative designs from Tojiro executed in laminate VG-10 get used far more often and the Global knives are mostly relegated to beaters.

This makes me appreciate Spyderco all the more (though their kitchen offerings aren't my favorites), since inspired and unique design is blended with pursuit of excellence in materials in a way that other companies seem to fail at more often than not.
Last edited by awa54 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
ChrisinHove

Re: If only Global used better steel...

Post by ChrisinHove »

I totally agree. My Globals have been relegated ever since the arrival of the Spyderco k11/12 kitchen knives.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Im not a fan of Global knives.
Ergonomics are bad and they dont appeal to me personally. I find them downright ugly. Besides every Tom, Dich and Harry has them. There are also a slew of fakes out there, as the knives for some reason has broad appeal.
What the OP calls 'progressive design,' I call form over function and thats never a good thing.
Many Spyderco knives are the exact opposite and thats a good thing.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

You're entitled to your opinion, but I will counter that Global ergonomics are exceptionally good for many users and that function is the primary driver of their handle design (both the shapes and the hollow stainless construction), not some weak attempt to look different from other brands.

As with most things in life, YMMV and the fact that you hate Global ergos and I love them indicates we probably have different cutting styles/needs and likely have different sized hands.

At any rate, have fun in the kitchen with whatever knife you like best!
-David

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey David, I have no experience with Global Knives but they do seem to have ergonomic handles.

One of the fellows I work with, a non knife knut bought a set for his wife, told me all about them and asked about sharpening and general maintenance.

Anyhow, a couple of months after buying them he was at work, his wife had an appointment and his mother in law came over to mind the kiddies. While she was there, the dear old mother in law figured she’d cook dinner too. The Global’s must have lost a bit of their edge in that time and weren’t up to the dear old mother in law’s standards so she sharpened them ..... on the concrete back step. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
James Y

Post by James Y »

Many years ago, I became interested in Globals, but never did buy any, as I felt they were way too expensive (to me) for kitchen knives. I do all my own cooking, and the knives I use in the kitchen are all Victorinox...a 7" Santoku, a paring knife, and a hook-bladed fruit knife. I also have a Victorinox blunt-tipped, serrated 'utility', but rarely use it. Those 3 or 4 knives are all I use in the kitchen. The steel is fairly soft, but takes me only seconds to bring back to scary sharpness, and the edge lasts a decent amount of time. Also, the most expensive of the lot, the Santoku, only cost me about $40. I've loved Victorinox SAKs for many years, so it was only logical that I would love their kitchen knives.

Jim
awa54

Post by awa54 »

James Y wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:26 pm
Many years ago, I became interested in Globals, but never did buy any, as I felt they were way too expensive (to me) for kitchen knives. I do all my own cooking, and the knives I use in the kitchen are all Victorinox...a 7" Santoku, a paring knife, and a hook-bladed fruit knife. I also have a Victorinox blunt-tipped, serrated 'utility', but rarely use it. Those 3 or 4 knives are all I use in the kitchen. The steel is fairly soft, but takes me only seconds to bring back to scary sharpness, and the edge lasts a decent amount of time. Also, the most expensive of the lot, the Santoku, only cost me about $40. I've loved Victorinox SAKs for many years, so it was only logical that I would love their kitchen knives.

Jim

Those Forschner/Victorinox Fibrox handled knives are hard to beat for the dollar and the ergonomics are better than any of the big German makers (IMO), but I far prefer to do prep for several meals between touch-ups...

I think the Tojiro DP series is my sweet spot for price vs. performance, the mid sized knives are $60-$75 and the paring or smaller pettys are around $50, well worth it for VG-10 laminate blades and excellent blended Euro/Nihon patterns. My hand forged Japanese knives are oiled up and stored now that I have a four knife progression of the Tojiro/Fujitora knives, the stainless blades and water proof handles are much easier to care for and the performance is close enough to the carbon steel blades to keep me happy.
-David