Safety Tips on cooking and handling meat?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Safety Tips on cooking and handling meat?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

There is alot of fear over things like salmonella and e coli bacteria in meats and my question is: what are good safe handling tips that you all practice or know of that you advise, that will allow someone to enjoy cooking and eating various meat like chicken, fish, beef, etc, while avoiding dangerous bacteria and food borne illness?
VashHash

Re: Safety Tips on cooking and handling meat?

Post by VashHash »

Isn't that what Google is for?
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Cook chicken and pork fully, use utensils and cutting surfaces for only meats, don't cross contaminate. Wash your hands after handling raw meats, before you touch anything else!

If you keep raw meat in the fridge, make sure it's on the bottom! Drips can cause contamination!

It's pretty simple really... People just don't take the time to be safe with it. I worked in restaurants for years, and had serv safe training as well. Don't overthink it.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Wash your hands and salt and pepper are all you ever need for beef! :P
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:47 pm
Wash your hands and salt and pepper are all you ever need for beef! :P
I have a killer steak seasoning... It has salt and pepper in it lol!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Crux

Post by Crux »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:00 pm
There is alot of fear over things like salmonella and e coli bacteria in meats and my question is: what are good safe handling tips that you all practice or know of that you advise, that will allow someone to enjoy cooking and eating various meat like chicken, fish, beef, etc, while avoiding dangerous bacteria and food borne illness?
Come on SEF, if people don't know about basic food safety by now then maybe it's cull the herd time.

Just kidding, ~160 internal degrees and you are okay for any meat. As a BBQ Champion Chef (trained by Myron Mixon) it would be irresponsible for me to give bad advice. As someone that spends more time studying food than eating it I can say that when you can cook beyond whatever goals you ever imagined you will find that the knife that got you there was a Para 3. Without which you are a failure and will be despised by,... I won't say, for the very sake of your soul.

So I've heard. :confused:
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Crux wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:32 am
a BBQ Champion Chef
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Crux

Post by Crux »

Aw, not that kind of BBQ. Southern BBQ Western NC style.
Attachments
When Pigs Fly_.jpg
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Great answers, thanks.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Love some good BBQ!
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Can't remember the last time I intentionally cooked chicken past 155F. I usually pull it at 145-150. This results in a much more tender and juicy piece of meat than one that was cooked to 160+, especially the breast.
It seems pasteurization depends on time and temperature, not just temperature alone. Info is here.
https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the ... reast.html