Interesting knife: "The Disciple".

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Interesting knife: "The Disciple".

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I would like Michael Janich and everyone on here to give your feedback on this knife. I read that it is rare? It was supposedly designed for both martial uses and also as a general purpose cutting tool:

https://www.donrearic.com/disciple.html
Daveho

Re: Interesting knife: "The Disciple".

Post by Daveho »

Looks very impractical.
It may be great but it looks just that bit weird and aggressive- for utility/self defence it looks heavily focused on the latter.
The spiel dosnt read particularly well in my opinion either.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The overall shape of the knife would be very nice if that tanto point were simply removed and made a smooth arc to the point. Also, that weird looking serrated pattern needs to go. If these changes were made, it would be very useful all around, I think.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It's a Pakal style knife. Reverse grip edge in. I think that weird saw pattern is just jimping on the spine doc.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TomH

Post by TomH »

One of the very few non-Spyderco knives I regret not buying when available. Shivworks (Craig Douglas) has mentioned having a production version made at some point. It has been talked about over at the Total Protection Interactive website for some time now, but has yet to happen.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I have a Disciple and a Disciple Trainer in my collection, both made by Trace Rinaldi. I wrote them up years ago for Tactical Knives magazine, along with the original Clinch Pick (and trainer) and Lil' Loco (and trainer). If you're into reverse-edge tactics, these designs are among the best available. Personally, I prefer the Disciple to the Clinch Pick, as its longer handle provides better leverage and, to me, feels better than the "egg-shaped" handle of the Clinch Pick.

With all that said, from a civilian self-defense standpoint geared toward stopping power, I prefer edge-out methods to edge-in ones. That's literally why the Spyderco Reverse, which I designed with Craig Douglas, "went both ways."

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

SEF,

Interesting article!
Chris :spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

As a fixed blade, I wonder how that one would be if it was fully double edged? Not so much for a defensive "both edges at once" use, but for greater utility using one edge at a time? Maybe sharpened all the way back to where the big jimping starts (to allow for a forward grip on that side for more precise utility cutting)?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

It's interesting- definitely built for one very specific purpose.....I'd probably like one in my collection.

Can't imagine EDCing it, as my EDCs are about pure utility not defence-
I CAN imagine too easily whipping that out to cut a sandwich or cabletie then sawing at it like an idiot until I went "D'oh- I'm using the spine again" and flipping it over. :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The blade shape reminds me of some of my Winkler knives.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/