Cuts

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Cao87

Cuts

Post by Cao87 »

Question: how many people have cut them selves with a spyderco knife
Evil D

Re: Cuts

Post by Evil D »

Man probably almost everyone on this forum I'd guess.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I haven't cut myself per se but I stabbed about 3/16" of a Military's tip along/into the second joint of the little finger of my left hand a couple of years ago. :o
Last edited by Bloke on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

Oh boy
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I have 13 Spyderco Knives, and have been cut with 8 of them. Some superficial and some a little deeper. Non were intentional mind you, but I now have a "special" bond with the ones that have drawn my blood. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.....
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

If a knife cuts me a third time I usually get rid of it. I figure there is something about the ergonomics that isn't for me. There have been three in my life I can recall doing that with.

Joe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:42 pm
Man probably almost everyone on this forum I'd guess.
I'll go one further than that :o I wish I had a $5 bill for every time I've drawn my own blood with one of my Spyders :o OK Laugh all you want but at least I'm honest about it :D
The problem with knives in general is that very few people pay them the respect they deserve. Most people don't view knives as lethal weapons as they would guns, explosives, dangerous chemicals ect, ect. Because most knife injuries are not lethal but rather minor wounds that tend to heal up quickly>> and how soon we all forget the pain and inconvenience of a nasty cut.
Most of my knife wounds have occurred during sharpening. I'm usually much more careful working with them. Why I get a false sense of security during the sharpening process????? I really can't answer that but I'm convinced that I'm not the only one that does.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think the worst two cuts I've had were from knives that opened in my pocket. I had a Ladybug on my keys open once that got me and my Autonomy opened once because I had a comb in the same pocket and it pressed the fire button. Both of those cuts probably needed stitches but got super glue instead lol.

One of the worst cuts I've ever had was actually from a butter knife. I was trying to split apart some frozen hotdogs and jammed the butter knife into the end of my middle finger. It was more of a large rip than a cut. Clean cuts definitely heal faster and hurt less.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Stabbed my thumb with my Manix 2 LW! Hurt like the dickens, might have a small scar from it! No other injuries yet, though
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

My SE Caly has got me the most. If my index finger isn’t quite far enough up towards the choil when I wristflick it towards shut, I always get a few little spyderbites from the serration tips.

You’d think I would learn...

The Pattada was a more serious accident waiting to happen, for me, though. It had to go.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've been bitten now and then over the years by my Spydercos. But my all-time worst cut came from a Cold Steel Code 4 Triad Lock knife. Some advice: Avoid trying to one-hand close a Triad Lock knife. The blade swung shut like a guillotine and got me right on the last knuckle of my right index finger. Put me out of work for 4 months, and had to go through physical therapy. It had cut the tendon. Thankfully, I regained the full use and range of motion of my finger, but to this day that last joint doesn't quite extend completely straight when I point with it.

It's ironic that a knife with a lock touted as the safest, strongest lock would give me my worst cut. Of course it was user error, but IMO the design is dangerous during the UNlocking and closing phase if done one-handed. I'm sure there's plenty of guys who will say they always one-hand unlock their Triad Lock knives with no issues. But for myself, I've discovered that's playing Russian roulette.

I've never even come close to having such as issue with any Spyderco knife over the past 22 years I've been using them.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I cut myself with my P'kal badly enough that I thought I might need stitches. That's my worst spyder bite so far.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Nothing major but I received some "love bites" from an Endura 4 and a Pacific Salt, Serrated-Edge.

It may be the Japanese thing that they had with the Samurai Swords: It cannot be resheathed until it draws blood.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

My pac salt closed on my fingers once. Those serrated cuts really hurt.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Crux

Post by Crux »

The question should be "How often do you cut yourself on a Spyderco?" I used to get a lot of nicks while sharpening and polishing blades, but now I use cut proof gloves and they work great. It was either that or don't drink while sharpening, but a man has to make tough choices.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

One small nick with my Cruwear Manix2. I am not normally a fidgeter but I was driving home from picking it up at the post office and may have been flicking while driving.

Took the tip of my finger off with a SAK at Boy Scout camp as a kid. I guess I learned to be careful with knives pretty young. Haven't done anything like that since.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?