Fear of flying: What can these people do?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Fear of flying: What can these people do?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I had a chat with someone who claims to be extremely afraid of flying in any sort of airplane or vehicle that lifts off the ground. When I mentioned that statistically there is a much higher risk of a person getting injured or dying as a result of ground vehicle crashes, such as cars and trucks, busses and even trains/railroads, their answer is that while this may be true, at least if a wreck on the ground does happen, there is more of a liklihood of survival, because they can either be thrown from the vehicle, or, at least they will not be hundreds or thousands of tens of thousands of feet in the air.

What are some points you would all bring up to those who have such a fear, to either convince them that air travel is safer than they think, or, alternatives for long-distance travel? One problem would be if the person wanted to cross large bodies of water, for example, travel from Canada to Europe, or the United States to Asia. There are, ofcourse, ships, but that takes a longer time and is likely more expensive.

Here is a question about this, or related to this: If a person wanted to take a ship/boat over seas, and travel, as an example, from California to Japan or Australia, and they did not want to go the normal route of a civilian cruise ship, and were afraid of planes, would modern commercial cargo ships that transport goods and cargo and things like food and other goods be willing to have the person pay them to accept them along as a passenger, or would that not likely be allowed? I still want your answers but I did find these websites that answer this, as well:

http://www.freightervoyages.eu/Ship%20Types.htm

https://wikitravel.org/en/Freighter_travel

https://www.freighterexpeditions.com.au/how-to-book
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Fear of flying: What can these people do?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here is an interesting and related thing: I don't know what ever happened to him but I knew a kid growing up who watched movies and tv shows about the Old West and then about Australia. His "dream" was to hitch a ride to the Australian outback and then live there for the rest of his life, living off the land and schmoozing it up with the Australian Aborigines and becoming friends with them, and living a "care free" life except for basic hunting and fishing. What is the reality of someone doing that?
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Advice 1:
"Grow a pair, or stay out of the air."
Advice 2:
"Don't be rama rama."
https://youtu.be/Nt0NcaxmGHo
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:57 pm
did not want to go the normal route of a civilian cruise ship
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:04 pm
Here is an interesting and related thing: I don't know what ever happened to him but I knew a kid growing up who watched movies and tv shows about the Old West and then about Australia. His "dream" was to hitch a ride to the Australian outback and then live there for the rest of his life, living off the land and schmoozing it up with the Australian Aborigines and becoming friends with them, and living a "care free" life except for basic hunting and fishing. What is the reality of someone doing that?

This Japanese soldier refused to surrender after WW2 and hid in the jungle eating bananas, Coconut milk, And cattle for 29 years! Anything is possible with the right motivation.

https://youtu.be/2XqQSNiafxk
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've never flown but I also have never been anywhere I couldn't drive and I love a road trip so I'm not exactly in a hurry to fly. I have no fear of flying and I'd skydive in a heartbeat but I definitely understand people's fears. Even the lowest statistics require someone to participate and if only 1 out of 100k flights crash someone has to be on that flight and there's no reason it couldn't be you. We just had a 2 engine plane crash into a house near Cincinnati yesterday, it definitely happens and even if it may statistically be safer than driving that's only because the numbers are skewed because of how many more cars there are driving than planes flying. Your chances of surviving a plane crash are pretty low.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Crux

Post by Crux »

Extra330SC wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:04 pm

This Japanese soldier refused to surrender after WW2 and hid in the jungle eating bananas, Coconut milk, And cattle for 29 years! Anything is possible with the right motivation.

https://youtu.be/2XqQSNiafxk
Yes, in Guam. We shared the same jungle.
Attachments
Guam 80-81 Spanish Steps and lagoons.jpg
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: