New Scifi: THE ORVILLE: Explores many of the concepts we discuss on here!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

New Scifi: THE ORVILLE: Explores many of the concepts we discuss on here!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I just discovered a new science fiction program:

https://orville.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Technology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Orville

They have such things as the quantum drive and matter synthesis.

https://orville.fandom.com/wiki/Matter_synthesis

This is neat: Someone asked the question (and this relates to the topic about ending poverty): "If everyone had matter synthesizers what stops people from replicating alcohol and being all-day drunks?" Answer: Reputation replaces Money:

"I would say self discipline, we learned in Season 1 that Money was replaced by Reputation. Sure people could just lay on their *** and be alcoholics all day but that would give them a bad Reputation and even if they stopped it would take a long time for them to regain peoples trust. Just look at Captain Ed, after he caught Kelly cheating he suffered a downward spiral that i'm sure included alcoholism among other things in his depression. And even after he had recovered enough to resume his duties the higher brass still weren't comfortable trusting him with his own command until Kelly who had maintained more reputation vouched for him."
Daveho

Re: New Scifi: THE ORVILLE: Explores many of the concepts we discuss on here!

Post by Daveho »

These arnt new concepts but rather old sci-fi tropes, the Orville just presents them in light self contained episodes, like Star Trek once did.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

We're in season 2 now...lol. Love the show, it's really starting to get good. I'm a sci-fi junky...haha!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

The Orville is very funny and more edgy than Star Trek, but still no seat belts. That's the great thing about science fiction. It allows viewing social and philosophical problems from the fresh perspectives of alien cultures and vice versa.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I tried watching the first 3 episodes but just could not get past the corn. Star Trek OS used humor, but it was funny. Orville is just plain silly. Maybe it gets better?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:14 pm
The Orville is very funny and more edgy than Star Trek, but still no seat belts. That's the great thing about science fiction. It allows viewing social and philosophical problems from the fresh perspectives of alien cultures and vice versa.
They do have seat belts.. on landing crafts, they make a joke in like the 3rd episode about it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You'd think they would have a force field that protected people instead of seat belts.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:10 am
I tried watching the first 3 episodes but just could not get past the corn. Star Trek OS used humor, but it was funny. Orville is just plain silly. Maybe it gets better?
It does. It's Seth McFarlane though, and if you don't like family guy or American dad you may or may not like the Orville. I love old star trek, and the next generation, and I also love silly humor. The Orville is right up my alley!

Season 2 is where the show is really coming into its own though. Stick with it, it's worth it imo!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is most interesting, ironic and timely. Just the other day I got to see an old early 1970s horror classic entitled "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things". With all this modern "Zombie" rage in the past 3 years or so I thought I was a very timely old horror movie to view again. What's really funny, ironic and even borderline eerie is that the Zombie that came to life in that movie and got even with all the college students that desecrated his grave>> well his name was "ORVILLE" :eek: :D If any of you love old horror or Sci- Fi classics there were two vintage 1970s classics. The one I just mentioned and also one called "ASYLUM" ( 1971). Both movies can be viewed in their entirety on Youtube.

I hope I didn't get too far off the topic>> but I just really thought that was a really strange coincidence to say the least :rolleyes: :D
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Why do they not have transporters? They would have come in handy in so many episodes. (I mean, they have in cabin food replicators so....)

And yes, season two is WAY better

Ken
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Replicating inanimate objects is simple, but a living organism is not? Seems legit lol