David Boye Cobalt Knives: any thoughts?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Meat man

David Boye Cobalt Knives: any thoughts?

Post by The Meat man »

https://www.boyeknives.com/pages/new-dendritic-cobalt

This subject came up recently in a thread, and the more I read the more intrigued I became. The blades are cast from a cobalt alloy instead of steel. There's a lot of interesting rope cutting testing in which they seemed to excel, but I'm wondering how they compare to other uses like cardboard cutting, or cutting into wood.

Does anyone here have any experiences with these knives, and if so what do you think of them? Can anyone tell me more about this interesting alloy and how it performs?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JD Spydo

Re: David Boye Cobalt Knives: any thoughts?

Post by JD Spydo »

I do remember those Boye rust/corrosion proof line up of knives back in the late 1990s. They were the "buzz" of the main knife magazines for a while but from what all I remember they never took off at the box office like they expected them to.

David Boye has over the years garnered a great reputation as a knifemaker. Spyderco themselves have used the "Boye Dent" on their lockback systems which is a type of a safety feature that many people swear by for "lockback" locking systems for folders.

If my memory is on track I believe they used to call those blades "Dendritic Cobalt" or something to that effect. Again the 3 major knife magazines at that time period all wrote favorable articles about that line of Boye knives but they just never got the fanfare they thought they would. I never owned one or used one because at that time I was really getting into Spyderco and Benchmade along with a couple of other knife companies that intrigued me at the time. Personally I didn't see any advantages that you couldn't find in the really high end knives on the market at that time.

Spyderco got their H-1 Salt Series really going in the mid part of the 2000s decade and those knives had a lot more to offer IMO.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Thanks for the information Joe, much appreciated!

I'm really interested in how BDC stacks up against PE H-1. They're both relatively soft materials, but it seems that the cobalt, while a bit softer, has much more edge aggression due to the dendritic carbide structure. Even with a pretty soft HRC (40's), the BDC apparently cuts very well even on hard synthetic rope.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder if they could use Nitrogen and Cobalt? Perhaps it would help with the hardening issue?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:12 am
I wonder if they could use Nitrogen and Cobalt? Perhaps it would help with the hardening issue?

That's an interesting question. Perhaps Larrin will chime in here. I'd like to know what he thinks about BDC.

It's a bit of a puzzle to me, because we know that PE H-1 does not have very good edge strength, especially in cases when cutting against a cutting board. I recall a thread in which Surfingringo did some rope cutting tests with PE H-1, CPM S30V, and LC200N. The H-1 didn't do very well, with significant edge rolling just from cutting that thick, synthetic marine grade rope. (IIRC)

BDC is even softer than H-1 and yet it seems to excel at just the sort of rope cutting that defeated PE H-1. Why doesn't the softer cobalt edge roll like the H-1? Is it because the nature of the cast cobalt causes microchipping instead of rolling, even though it's softer? Or perhaps I'm missing something.
- Connor

SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:40 pm

This subject came up recently in a thread, and the more I read the more intrigued I became. The blades are cast from a cobalt alloy instead of steel. There's a lot of interesting rope cutting testing in which they seemed to excel, but I'm wondering how they compare to other uses like cardboard cutting, or cutting into wood.

Does anyone here have any experiences with these knives, and if so what do you think of them? Can anyone tell me more about this interesting alloy and how it performs?

I have a Boye dendritic cobalt fixed blade and am quite happy with it.
Sharpens easily on a medium or soft Arkansas stone and cuts/slices for a good long time.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:25 am
Doc Dan wrote:

That's an interesting question. Perhaps Larrin will chime in here. I'd like to know what he thinks about BDC.

It's a bit of a puzzle to me, because we know that PE H-1 does not have very good edge strength, especially in cases when cutting against a cutting board. I recall a thread in which Surfingringo did some rope cutting tests with PE H-1, CPM S30V, and LC200N. The H-1 didn't do very well, with significant edge rolling just from cutting that thick, synthetic marine grade rope. (IIRC)

BDC is even softer than H-1 and yet it seems to excel at just the sort of rope cutting that defeated PE H-1. Why doesn't the softer cobalt edge roll like the H-1? Is it because the nature of the cast cobalt causes microchipping instead of rolling, even though it's softer? Or perhaps I'm missing something.
It is interesting how that is. Have you seen the J Davis video where he uses a SAK to slice 9 feet of that tough rope and it did better than S35VN? Now, that was weird. So, I wonder if there is more to all of this than we usually think? How could a cobalt blade cut so well and keep an edge so long and it be so soft, like the SAK steel? I know some has to be edge geometry and blade thickness, but that cannot explain everything.

Where is @Larrin when we need him to speak up?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderScout wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:03 am
The Meat man wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:40 pm

I have a Boye dendritic cobalt fixed blade and am quite happy with it.
Sharpens easily on a medium or soft Arkansas stone and cuts/slices for a good long time.

Thanks SpyderScout! Have you noticed any type of edge damage from cutting hard materials like wood?
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:26 am
The Meat man wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

It is interesting how that is. Have you seen the J Davis video where he uses a SAK to slice 9 feet of that tough rope and it did better than S35VN? Now, that was weird. So, I wonder if there is more to all of this than we usually think? How could a cobalt blade cut so well and keep an edge so long and it be so soft, like the SAK steel? I know some has to be edge geometry and blade thickness, but that cannot explain everything.

No I haven't seen that, but that does sounds somewhat similar to the curious properties of the dendritic cobalt. In what way did the SAK do better? In sharpness, or continued cutting ability? If the latter, that could be more readily explained by the super thin edge geometry.

This whole discussion is getting me to the point where I should just order one of these knives and do some testing with it...
- Connor

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:55 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:26 am
The Meat man wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

No I haven't seen that, but that does sounds somewhat similar to the curious properties of the dendritic cobalt. In what way did the SAK do better? In sharpness, or continued cutting ability? If the latter, that could be more readily explained by the super thin edge geometry.

This whole discussion is getting me to the point where I should just order one of these knives and do some testing with it...
Here is the video: https://youtu.be/peO0akVMNbg

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd be curious to hear Stuart Ackerman's thoughts. He makes dendritic knives as well.

If I remember right, my (incomplete) understanding was that the internal structure of the steel had something to do with it's cutting ability.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Thanks Doc. I will check that out.

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:48 am
I'd be curious to hear Stuart Ackerman's thoughts. He makes dendritic knives as well.

If I remember right, my (incomplete) understanding was that the internal structure of the steel had something to do with it's cutting ability.

Tom, that's what I've been reading too. If you look at the pictures on Boye's website, you can see that the carbides are structured in alternating rows, which seems to indicate a very aggressive, saw-like cutting edge.

I would certainly welcome both Larrin's and Stuart Ackerman's input on this.
- Connor

kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Hey guys, I posted elsewhere in the Off topic section about David Boye knives and I am a proud owner of the pointed blade folder ( a factory second) which I got a pretty good deal on. Around $132.00 when the Boye knives website had a sale. The knife is well made, finish is not quite as good as Golden made Spyderco but it locks up solidly and fit and finish are good. The blade cuts better than it feels. When I test the blade on phone book paper it doesn’t cut tiny curls like some of my steel blades, but it goes through cardboard boxes and clamshell packages smoothly and cleanly. In the tougher mediums it feels super sharp but not on paper. I haven’t any regular use for a shackle wrench or marlin spike but feel confident it would work well. I am enjoying the knife and will keep it long term. I will keep it in my carry rotation for a while at least. I am glad I bought it and if I were needing a knife for a high humidity environment or working with rope I would feel well equipped with this knife on my person.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

kodai78 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:31 pm
Hey guys, I posted elsewhere in the Off topic section about David Boye knives and I am a proud owner of the pointed blade folder ( a factory second) which I got a pretty good deal on. Around $132.00 when the Boye knives website had a sale. The knife is well made, finish is not quite as good as Golden made Spyderco but it locks up solidly and fit and finish are good. The blade cuts better than it feels. When I test the blade on phone book paper it doesn’t cut tiny curls like some of my steel blades, but it goes through cardboard boxes and clamshell packages smoothly and cleanly. In the tougher mediums it feels super sharp but not on paper. I haven’t any regular use for a shackle wrench or marlin spike but feel confident it would work well. I am enjoying the knife and will keep it long term. I will keep it in my carry rotation for a while at least. I am glad I bought it and if I were needing a knife for a high humidity environment or working with rope I would feel well equipped with this knife on my person.

Thanks very much kodai! This kind of real-world feedback is exactly what I was looking for.

I have also been eyeing the Boye folder. It's not much more money than your average Spyderco. Might have to save up a bit and buy one.

I don't want you to risk damaging your knife but another thing I am curious about is, how much edge stability does it have? Would it be able to carve wood for instance without damaging the edge? How durable is the edge?
- Connor

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Here is an old thread on this topic: viewtopic.php?t=51784

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:09 pm
Here is an old thread on this topic: viewtopic.php?t=51784

Yes, I read through that thread. Thanks though!
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Well, my curiosity got the best of me. Last night I ordered a Boye cobalt folder - one of their seconds at a 15% discount. Pointed tip, partially serrated.

I can't wait to experience this strange stuff firsthand. I am eager to do some testing on the cobalt blade, and hopefully I'll like it enough to keep it. We'll see.
- Connor

James Y

Post by James Y »

I own two David Boye Dendritic Cobalt folders...one partially-serrated pointy-tip blade, and one yellow all-serrated sheepsfoot. I've owned them for about a year or so. TBH, I haven't used them enough to need resharpening. The blades have a somewhat thick flat saber grind, and although they don't feel all that sharp, they seem to cut fibrous materials like rope and such very well. They aren't the types of knives for fine slicing, IMO. I really like the marlin spike feature, which is great for loosening overly-tight knots, and some light prying.

The lockback mechanism doesn't feel very strong to me, but it's enough to keep them open during normal pocketknife uses.

David Boye and his wife were a joy to deal with.

Jim
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I did the Serrata series, because of David's pioneering work with 440C.

I have been really happy with my knives( and Spyderco's) slicing and dicing. :)

Some recent "converts" have expressed regretting not get a Serrata sooner.

Larrin might have tested a Spydie, so hopefully he will pipe up?

If I could afford it, I might have done a Cobalt series, but that ain't gonna happen now.

Grab a Boye while you can, and hopefully I will get one too... :)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Arrived today:

It's too late tonight, but tomorrow sometime I hope to post some of my initial thoughts and observations.
- Connor