David Boye Cobalt Knives: any thoughts?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Meat man

Re: David Boye Cobalt Knives: any thoughts?

Post by The Meat man »

Some photos and thoughts for those who are interested:

$160 is a lot for me to spend on any knife, especially on an unknown like this Boye Cobalt Folder. I really wasn't sure what to expect.

When I pulled it out of the package, I was immediately impressed with how solid it felt. Despite weighing only 2.5 oz. (according to the website), it was balanced well enough to feel very solid and secure in my hand. Being used to FRN Spyderco knives, I think I've gotten used to having a blade-heavy feel in a knife, but the Boye's balance point moves the heft a bit farther back in the hand. So even though this knife is actually very lightweight, it feels quite solid in use. I like it.

I had some misgivings about the "Zytel" handle because it seemed to me from past experiences to be a somewhat flimsy material. But here again I was favorably impressed. The texture looks nice, gives a good grip, and seems at least as strong as Spyderco's FRN.

This knife is one of Boye's factory seconds and I did notice a few blemishes, one on the blade, and another on the end of the handle:

Since I bought it at a discount, I have no complaints. Just thought I'd point it out. Of course the blemishes have no impact whatever on performance, and the knife is still under full warranty from Boye Knives.

One thing, you will not have to worry about this knife slipping out of your pocket - the titanium clip is VERY strong. It's fine for me but I could understand if it would be a bit too much for other people. Also, there is no flat, smooth spot under the end of the clip (as Spyderco's have) - so I'd beware clipping it to nice clothing.
I like the clip's low-profile design but I kind of wish they had used a torx screw instead of Phillips. Not a big deal but it would have been a bit nicer with the torx IMO.

The marlinspike is nicely done. It sits fairly flat against the handle when closed and actually lends some positive ergonomics to the grip.

(^one curious thing I noticed is that the blade stock is thinner at the handle, then seems to thicken slightly toward the tip. I'm not sure why this is.)

The marlinspike is very stiff opening and closing, which is necessary since it doesn't lock, and hence has neither closing nor opening bias. It does have a couple sturdy stop pins to keep it in place during use though.

Now for the blade.

This was of course the primary reason for buying this knife. Boye's website is full of glowing reports about the cutting power and aggressiveness of cast dendritic cobalt, and I wanted to experiment and experience this firsthand.

I was very disappointed with the blade out of the box. I don't know if it was an oversight on Boye's end or what, but the knife came almost butter knife dull. Seriously. Nylon string just slipped off the edge; I could run my thumb up and down the edge without cutting myself. It had no aggression or bite either and the angles looked to be about 40° inclusive. It was quite a let-down after reading all the great reviews. :rolleyes:

However...I broke out the sharpening equipment and reprofiled the edge freehand on my diamond stones, aiming for 30° inclusive, then made a few swipes on the Sharpmaker medium rods at 40°. Now it is hair whittling sharp. The sharpening didn't feel really any easier or harder than steel.

Fit and finish -
Overall, excellent. (Aside from the blemishes.) I would say it is fully on par with the best of Spyderco's Golden offerings. The blade opens easily with the oval hole, and the action is smooth and reminds me more of the Calypso Jr's action than the Native's. There is zero horizontal blade play, and zero vertical blade play. (Every Spyderco backlock I own has at least some vertical blade play, which makes this all the more impressive to me.) Lockup is not quite Native-5-solid (but then, what knife is?), but it is certainly very secure and tight. No worries at all there.

Overall, this knife seems very well made and is comfortable in a normal grip...

...as well as a choked up grip on the generous ricasso.

I haven't done much cutting with it yet but I hope to do some testing on it in the future. In the meantime I think I'll EDC it for awhile and see how it holds up to normal use.

So far I like it!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

nice! I have admittedly been hesitant to buy one due to the price, and due to having the Salts from Spyderco, :D but in all honesty I have looked at these very often and if we didn't have the H1 folders I'd probably have a few of these already. :o

Looking forward to your uses and I hope it serves you well for a long time
:cool:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ThePeacent wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:33 am
nice! I have admittedly been hesitant to buy one due to the price, and due to having the Salts from Spyderco, :D but in all honesty I have looked at these very often and if we didn't have the H1 folders I'd probably have a few of these already. :o

Looking forward to your uses and I hope it serves you well for a long time
:cool:

Thank you Peacent.

Yeah the Spyderco Salts really swept the market. It's hard to beat such value! :o

I did some cutting today with the Boye, some tough polypropylene rope that was pretty dirty. That seemed to punish the edge a fair bit; it didn't ruin the edge by any means but there was definitely a tendency to glide over the rope instead of bite into it.
I'm still not sure what to expect really from this BDC. If I had some PE H-1 I'd do a side by side test and see which came out on top. For now, all I know is that it can't compare to CTS Maxamet. :p
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Last Saturday I did some informal rope cutting tests with the Boye Cobalt Folder.

Instead of using manila or sisal rope, I decided to go all out and bought a roll of 3/8", solid twisted polypropylene rope. This stuff is hard, slick, and about as nasty a rope for knife cutting as I could buy. It's essentially like cutting through a bundle of fishing line.

I would have liked to test the BDC head-to-head against plain edge H-1, but all my H-1 is serrated. So instead I decided to use my AG Russell Featherlight folder in VG-10. I have no idea how AG's VG-10 compares to Spyderco's, but according to the catalog they run it around 60 to 61 HRC.

Within the first dozen cuts, it was clear that the BDC was far superior in this type of cutting than the VG-10. After about 5 cuts, the VG-10's edge began to feel glassy smooth and required a lot of back and forth sawing to get it through the rope. By contrast, the Boye Cobalt Folder made it through around 50 cuts and still was able to slice through cleanly in one stroke. I actually put it against my Maxamet Native for a bit; neither of them seemed to lose or gain against the other. I'm curious what an extended test between the two would reveal.

The BDC also cleanly cut looped paracord during and after testing; the VG-10 wanted to slide and took more effort to cut.

Later that evening I put the Boye to work in the kitchen, slicing tomatoes, onions, beef, and lettuce. It didn't do too bad at all, even without resharpening. After I touched it up on the Sharpmaker (5 or 10 strokes per side), it was extremely aggressive and sliced with ease despite the thickish saber grind. I can imagine a thinly ground kitchen knife in this stuff would be amazing.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I like this knife.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Today I used it to cut up a bunch of the thick plastic banding that is used to band 5'x10' pallets of sheet steel and aluminum. I probably made 40 or so cuts all told, and by the time I finished the edge was still quite sharp and there was no rolling or edge deformation at all.

I have used it to carve and whittle wood as well with little or no ill effects. This cobalt is definitely different than steel and I wouldn't try to cut cans with it, but it is turning out to be stronger than I thought. Regarding edge strength, I wouldn't put it below SAK grade steel.
- Connor

SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:39 am

Thanks SpyderScout! Have you noticed any type of edge damage from cutting hard materials like wood?
No damage, as far as I can tell but I havent cut much wood with it. Mostly line, cord, rope etc, food prep etc.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:18 am
Later that evening I put the Boye to work in the kitchen, slicing tomatoes, onions, beef, and lettuce. It didn't do too bad at all, even without resharpening. After I touched it up on the Sharpmaker (5 or 10 strokes per side), it was extremely aggressive and sliced with ease despite the thickish saber grind. I can imagine a thinly ground kitchen knife in this stuff would be amazing.
Well, you are in luck, as there are Boye Cobalt kitchen knives out there. Some etched by Francine.
https://www.boyeknives.com/pages/6-chefs-knife

https://www.boyeknives.com/pages/custom
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderScout wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:36 am
The Meat man wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:18 am
Well, you are in luck, as there are Boye Cobalt kitchen knives out there. Some etched by Francine.
https://www.boyeknives.com/pages/6-chefs-knife

https://www.boyeknives.com/pages/custom

Wow. Beautiful knives, but I'll have to wait till I'm a millionaire before I can afford a $1,500 kitchen knife. :eek:
- Connor