Anybody Else into 3D Printing?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sharp Guy

Anybody Else into 3D Printing?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Thanks to our friend zhyla for putting this idea in my head. I'm now the proud owner of a small delta-style 3D printer and I'm already planning on getting a large format cartesian printer.

I already have a few ideas of things I can make for the knife knuts along with some things for my other hobby (.22 target rifles). Feel free to feed me some ideas here if you'd like.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
murphjd25

Re: Anybody Else into 3D Printing?

Post by murphjd25 »

Nice Pat! I bet that’s going to be fun to play around with!
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

murphjd25 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:41 am
Nice Pat! I bet that’s going to be fun to play around with!
I'm having a blast with it Josh!

My fancy workstation in the garage has a built in dust/fume extraction system in it. It has a suction hood that goes from the suction/control panel under the worktop to above the work surface. I've always wanted to be able to connect some suction tubing so I can vac off the work surface but I could never find the right size. I have some tubing for a small shop vac but the end is a little too big to fit into the suction panel and I didn't want to modify it (I need it for the shop vac). Problem solved! :)

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Sweet!!!
Josh
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Ive got a 3D printer coming my way soon. It’s kinda busted though so it’s going to need some work. I have zero experience with such things.

How are you finding fusion 360? I tried it but it broke my brain.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:49 pm
Ive got a 3D printer coming my way soon. It’s kinda busted though so it’s going to need some work. I have zero experience with such things.

What kind of printer are you getting LQ? I would recommend you start looking a videos and reading about the ins and outs 3D Printing and your particular printer beforehand. That way you have an idea of what you're up against going into it. Also look for a Facebook group for your particular printer. There's a group for my printer and I've found the information they've shared to be invaluable. As I've learned, 3D printing isn't as plug and play as you'd think. I'm doing pretty good but I've only been at it a few weeks and I still have a lot to learn.

For me, Fusion 360 has been one of the easiest CAD programs to learn. I worked with Autodesk Revit, Autocad, and a couple other CAD programs for several years so I've had a head start. There's a lot of good videos for beginners on YouTube. Search for Lars Christensen. Watch his beginner's series and then work your way up to more advanced stuff. You'll get the hang of it in no time.

Let me know if I can be of any help. I'm just a beginner too but I've learned a lot in a short time.

EDIT: You might consider checking out Tinkercad and Google Sketchup too. I haven't played with them yet but I've read that they're not so complex.

EDIT II:

https://youtu.be/3LBTkLsjHGQ

https://youtu.be/LvGKfevdf_Q
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I printed some knife stands last night. I thought the original (that the Kapara is on) is a little too big so I scaled it to print at 75%. I think I'll do another at 50% for small knives. I have some more filament coming too. So I can do some blue and red.

Sorry for the horrible pic. The lighting above our kitchen table isn't very good.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:01 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:49 pm

What kind of printer are you getting LQ? I would recommend you start looking a videos and reading about the ins and outs 3D Printing and your particular printer beforehand. That way you have an idea of what you're up against going into it. Also look for a Facebook group for your particular printer. There's a group for my printer and I've found the information they've shared to be invaluable. As I've learned, 3D printing isn't as plug and play as you'd think. I'm doing pretty good but I've only been at it a few weeks and I still have a lot to learn.

For me, Fusion 360 has been one of the easiest CAD programs to learn. I worked with Autodesk Revit, Autocad, and a couple other CAD programs for several years so I've had a head start. There's a lot of good videos for beginners on YouTube. Search for Lars Christensen. Watch his beginner's series and then work your way up to more advanced stuff. You'll get the hang of it in no time.

Let me know if I can be of any help. I'm just a beginner too but I've learned a lot in a short time.

EDIT: You might consider checking out Tinkercad and Google Sketchup too. I haven't played with them yet but I've read that they're not so complex.

EDIT II:

https://youtu.be/3LBTkLsjHGQ

https://youtu.be/LvGKfevdf_Q

Thanks for the info and the heads up about the difficulties ahead. No part of me thought it would be plug and play though. What kind of printer? I have no idea. A buddy is giving it to me. I’d like to start researching 3D printing etc but I have too much on my plate as it is. I’ll learn it someday down the line. Again, much appreciated!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Soon they will be 3D printing arms and legs for vets and others. I wonder how long till Spyderco invests in 3D printers to make blades, liners, springs, and scales?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am so glad you posted this! I love 3d printing and am studying this area. There are all sorts of advances increasing in regards to new materials and processes.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:33 am
No part of me thought it would be plug and play though.
That part of the response was really based on how I pictured it. I hadn't actually given it much thought though. My local library offers 3D printing as a service. So I kind of figured you give them a file you want printed, they send it to the machine and it spits out your part. Simple! Yeah it's not quite that easy.

I didn't even realize how affordable an entry level printer could be until zhyla mentioned it offline. I've always thought the technology was cool but it was out of my price range the last time I checked a few ago. Now I have this small entry-level unit (that's actually pretty good once you take the time to calibrate it and do some minor upgrades) and I'm now considering selling off some of my knives to buy a another (better) one. Definitely a slippery slope here. 😁
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:26 am
I wonder how long till Spyderco invests in 3D printers to make blades, liners, springs, and scales?
I was wondering if they already do it to prototype the handles for new FRN models. They already have them modeled in CAD. They may not get the level of detail that the molded handles have but it'd be close enough for a prototype.

I can already make a set of scales for the Delica or Native pretty easily just by importing a picture into Fusion 360 to use as a starting point. I would never actually use them since they probably wouldn't be as nice as the original but it might be a good 3D modeling exercise for me.
SpyderEdgeForever

If Spyderco and others could somehow 3d print FRN handles without the need for injection molds, that would bring costs way down and allow more versatility.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:51 pm
If Spyderco and others could somehow 3d print FRN handles without the need for injection molds, that would bring costs way down and allow more versatility.
Problem is 3D printing is slow
rossco599

Post by rossco599 »

I used the college's 3d printer quite a bit. The quality is greatly affected by the settings of the printer/file. For example we assembled and used Prusa 3d printers. They came with files and settings for trinkets you could print. The trinkets came out better than parts printed on the professor only $30k printer.
When you upgrade, a heated bed is a must have. I'd highly recommend the Prusa for the ease of use, quality, magnetic bed.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

rossco599 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:28 pm
When you upgrade, a heated bed is a must have. I'd highly recommend the Prusa for the ease of use, quality, magnetic bed.
The little delta I have has a heated bed. So far I've only been using PLA but I plan to try PETG or ABS for some projects I'm working on.

The larger printer I'm considering is a Creality CR-10S Pro. If I really get into it and need a 3rd I'll likely add a CR-10 clone like the Tevo Tornado.

I'm taking it one step at a time at this point. I'm currently working on the little one to get it tuned and calibrated to improve the dimensional accuracy. At the same time I'm working on improving my 3D modeling skills and getting more comfortable with tweaking the settings in Cura. I'll eventually add a Rasberry Pi/Octoprint to it to get my feet wet with being able to control the unit remotely. So I'm using this first unit as a learning tool and then I'll go with another.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Very cool Pat!

Must be a lot of fun to play with and make all sorts of cool stuff. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Can we 3D print a large boat and go visit Bloke?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Read this article: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... ncy-panna/

They want to use 3d printers to print foods for people with chewing problems that are easier to eat but look and taste and feel like more "normal"
conventional foods.

Would you eat it if it was nutritious and safe?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm honestly very, very suspicious of food that isn't actually food. We've had _a lot_ of "science" telling us that manufactured foods are "better for you" than the natural equivalent, and that "science" has almost always proven wrong. Most people in my generation were raised on artificial baby formula which was supposed to be "better" than natural breast milk. Turns out, it really wasn't, and many of us have suffered as a result. There are many, many other examples.

I think that "manufactured" foods have a very limited use in very specific circumstances (people who can't swallow, for example). Unless I have the specific issue that requires them, I'm not going to be eating them.