Anybody Else into 3D Printing?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Anybody Else into 3D Printing?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Good point, Tom. Also, when you get down to the issue of somehow printing food or replicating food synthetically, we would want all of the atoms and molecules in their proper place. Think about this: Biology is made mostly from carbohydrate molecules in some form. Proteins are mostly carbon based as is DNA and enzymes. You would definitely want the molecules to be correctly placed because if even one or two or a few are incorrectly placed, the consequences could be deadly. If amino acids are not right, they cannot be processed by the digestion and other systems in the body and could make people sick or worse.

One author said its best to use advanced 3d printing to make cheap greenhouse hardware so farmers and food producers could grow food all year round, but, when it comes to the actual food, don't tamper with nature and make it all organic.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Now 3d printing to be used to make artificial pancreases to end diabetes:

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/pol ... es-151187/

And to print solar cells:

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/t3d ... 0-64378193
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Hello all! I just got a 3d printer and I want to print a replacement ball bearing cage for my Manix. I don't know how to design 3d objects so I've just been using Thingyverse. However I cant seem to find any 3d files for a Manix ball bearing cage. If anyone knows of a file or has any experience with 3d design your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:31 am
Hello all! I just got a 3d printer and I want to print a replacement ball bearing cage for my Manix. I don't know how to design 3d objects so I've just been using Thingyverse. However I cant seem to find any 3d files for a Manix ball bearing cage. If anyone knows of a file or has any experience with 3d design your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum Paraguy. There's a few people, myself included, that dabble in 3d printing. What type of printer do you have? Did you break the original cage? I don't know how reliable a 3d printed ball cage would be. It would need to be modeled because there's no public files that I know of but if I get a chance I'll give it a go but no promises. On a sidenote you should start a new thread when you have a question like that. You're more likely to get the attention of people that may be able to help.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:28 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:31 am
Welcome to the forum Paraguy. There's a few people, myself included, that dabble in 3d printing. What type of printer do you have? Did you break the original cage? I don't know how reliable a 3d printed ball cage would be. It would need to be modeled because there's no public files that I know of but if I get a chance I'll give it a go but no promises. On a sidenote you should start a new thread when you have a question like that. You're more likely to get the attention of people that may be able to help.
Thanks for the welcome Joshcruntchley. I actually have two printers a small Anycubic resin printer and an Anycubic Cartesian printer. I figure the resin printer would be best for this project. I actually didn't break my original cage. What got me thinking about printing a cage is that I want it to try my luck casting a brass one using the lost wax method. If you don't know what Im talking about Id recommend looking up a youtube video of lost PLA casting - very cool. In addition to this Id like to experiment with different shapes for the knob part of the cage because I find can't get as good of a purchase while closing it as I can with my Benchmade. Thanks for your time.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:53 pm

Thanks for the welcome Joshcrutchley. I actually have two printers a small Anycubic resin printer and an Anycubic Cartesian printer. I figure the resin printer would be best for this project. I actually didn't break my original cage. What got me thinking about printing a cage is that I want it to try my luck casting a brass one using the lost wax method. If you don't know what Im talking about Id recommend looking up a youtube video of lost PLA casting - very cool. In addition to this Id like to experiment with different shapes for the knob part of the cage because I find can't get as good of a purchase while closing it as I can with my Benchmade. Thanks for your time.
I'm familiar with lost wax casting, that will work great for a ball cage. I was actually watching a video earlier about this same thing.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've had an Anet A8 for a few years now. It's actually been quite useful a few times, but I think of it mostly as a novelty and a hobby. The only knife thing I've used it for was this sweet angle stand for the Double Stuff.

Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:19 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:53 pm

Thanks for the welcome Joshcrutchley. I actually have two printers a small Anycubic resin printer and an Anycubic Cartesian printer. I figure the resin printer would be best for this project. I actually didn't break my original cage. What got me thinking about printing a cage is that I want it to try my luck casting a brass one using the lost wax method. If you don't know what Im talking about Id recommend looking up a youtube video of lost PLA casting - very cool. In addition to this Id like to experiment with different shapes for the knob part of the cage because I find can't get as good of a purchase while closing it as I can with my Benchmade. Thanks for your time.
I'm familiar with lost wax casting, that will work great for a ball cage. I was actually watching a video earlier about this same thing.
this conversation was moved here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89444&p=1514922&hil ... d#p1514417
"Some call me...Tim?"
mixmaster

Post by mixmaster »

they are so fast to get an accurate prototype
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Has anyone here printed a guided sharpener per chance?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Paraguy wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:28 pm
I've thought about it but haven't yet. Thingiverse has a lot of different ones you could try.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:58 pm
Paraguy wrote:
I've thought about it but haven't yet. Thingiverse has a lot of different ones you could try.
Yeah tons! The thing is I would have to buy some stones and other hardware.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:04 am
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Paraguy wrote:
I started to develop an arm that holds Sharpmaker rods with the flat side or corner facing the edge. First was going to be for my Hapstone V7 then I figured I'd make them for other units. I have the design pretty much done but other projects got in the way and I've never went back to it
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:03 am
Paraguy wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:04 am
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Paraguy wrote:
I started to develop an arm that holds Sharpmaker rods with the flat side or corner facing the edge. First was going to be for my Hapstone V7 then I figured I'd make them for other units. I have the design pretty much done but other projects got in the way and I've never went back to it
NICE.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:28 am
I've had an Anet A8 for a few years now. It's actually been quite useful a few times, but I think of it mostly as a novelty and a hobby. The only knife thing I've used it for was this sweet angle stand for the Double Stuff.

Pretty sure that's where I got the idea for these..

I did another one for my DMT diamond stones but no time to find the pic
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:37 am
Found this while browsing Reddit.

Can you buy the rods/stones individually?
"Some call me...Tim?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Paraguy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:15 am
Yes, as replacements. The medium and fine stones usually come in a set of two, the CBN, Diamond, and Ultrafines often come individually.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:20 am
Paraguy wrote:
Yes, as replacements. The medium and fine stones usually come in a set of two, the CBN, Diamond, and Ultrafines often come individually.
Im seeing a lot which ones would you recommend?
"Some call me...Tim?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Paraguy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:25 am
kennethsime wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:20 am
Paraguy wrote:
Im seeing a lot which ones would you recommend?
Depends one what you want to do!

I recommend purchasing the base sharpmaker, it's all I have and suits me fine. The CBN rods (or the diamond, but I think the CBN is the better buy) are coarse, and remove a lot of material. The ultra fines are very fine, and polish.